DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a look recently at my wishlist, I had about 3 more models to go. But then I thought, let's put all the future models too, and I have about 13 or 14 more models to go. At this point, I'm pretty concerned about the collection getting too big and I just want to keep my purchases as selective as possible, I've been doing this for the past couple of months. I've been selling off 2 or 3 models as well to focus my collection more and more and will probably sell another 2 or 3 in the future, I don't have too many that I "regret" purchasing.

I actually now need another single cabinet (although I had been planning for one for many months now) to put the main themes of my collection in (in my case, the main theme is the F1 cars of Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Montoya and Wurz).

Anyway, is anyone else but me a bit concerned aobut their collections getting too big and trying to trim down as well as being very selective on future purchase. Looking for discussion and comments on this, thanks.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'm not too worried about my collection getting too big. I buy what interests me and not items just to complete a series or theme. If space is a serious concern, it may be time to evaluate previous purchases and see what you no longer cherish and sell them. Maybe you could store some and rotate what y0ou have on display.

Just a few ideas.
Sean

G

·
I hardly ever worry about the size of my collection . If I see something I like or want , then I buy it....simple as that.

If I dont have the immediate shelf space for that car , then it stays boxed until I buy another cabinet . I have 6 Billys from Ikea and will shortly be buying another 2 to house the 30 or so cars that arrived this week from Ohio ( thanks Jeff) and the other 50 or so that are currently still boxed and stored in almost every room in the house :giggle

Dont worry , be happy :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree Not that Luc should kill himself of course - just that I can't imagine my wishlist being that short!

With only one cabinet and no room for any more, buying too many models is a constant concern, but I still can't resist!!

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
I am constantly refocusing my collection. I will bet I have sold over 100 models here at DX . As a matter of fact, I sold 100 models last year alone (here and at other venues)
I seem to reach a point whenever I get over 300 cars that causes me to sell of and reduce the number and then before I know it, I am right back at in again :dizzy

Unlike Gary, I don't live in a castle with room after room filled with diecast :giggle

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Main reason I am concerned is because I do not want all of my shelves to be filled up to max (6 cars per shelf), I want to present them in a more special way most of the time and not just fill up the whole row with as many models as possible. I suppose after I get 1 more cabinet, I hopefully will be good for a long time.

G

·
I love looking at collections which extend well beyond 300 models and I commend those who have the chore and/or task of maintaing and keeping those pieces clean. It was pretty toigh for me when I had that many models.

But thats far too many for me personally. When I first started collecting, that big number was more important to me than the models themselves. When I had a collection of 250 or so, it was a chore keeping them clean by dusting daily, polishing them as needed and the fact that cabinets took up two full walls in my home office was a bit much for me.

Now that I've narrowed my collection down to less than 200 models I am able to enjoy them far more as each model gets its well deserved quality time :lol

I think your concerns are valid when you factor in maintenance and space - as that is what forced me to trim down. Now, my office is a little bigger than it was previously, but I now have wall space which I am able to use for pictures and other items.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm a bit of the opposite. My 'to get' list keeps getting down to under 20 which I then decide to add more models on the list that I passed on in the past (mainly budget ones and convertibles) Right now my collecion is standing at 66 cars and the list is down to less than 20 again which about half are budget lines (maistos, Bburago & UH). After that will be just the new releases. I don't tend to worry about display space, there's always a way to make room for more so getting the models is my main concern. :happy

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
Same here, and uh... same here!

I tend to hit that 300 mark and decide that I would rather take a long, hard look at what have, what I like and what doesn't fit or is no longer cherished, as Darrick put it, and then sell the suckers!

I am always amazed at what I had to have at one point and told myself I would never sell, and then I just end up getting rid of it. Those are the toughest to let go of, but I have found that I rarely miss them after they go. It's like I have been there done that.

This allows me to refocus quite well, again and again. I am much happier with my collection afterwards.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I had the same problem a couple of months ago before I decided to redecorate a spare room in my house, only for my collection...now I still have some free space in my new cabinets, but oneday, they will be full....and I do not want to go back to the time I kept my diecasts in their box....Lack of space would be the only reason to start collecting 1:43, but I could never sell the 1:18's I already have, so space would still stay a problem...

It's also difficult for me to sell part of my collection..it's already very focussed and I don't have many doubles..the only 'luck' I have is that I almost have every older model released and I now only have to add new releases, so my collection won't grow that quickly anymore... :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Unless you live in a castle like Gary or have a few shipping containers in your lawn, there is no other way but to focus your collection. in my opinion, better then having to sell cars off every once in a while is to keep faithful to some buying guide lines and your themes.

My collection is around 210 cars right now, and I'm quite proud to say that I don't have 10 cars that I bought in the old days that I wouldn't have bought today. Of course, these things being very expensive here helps me not over-buying, but still now sometimes I find these great deals of cars that are just that, good deals, and not important to me or my collection.

Space is not a concern for me right now, but it will be someday. so I better be wise. :cheers

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Not a romantic, are you Luc?
Its better to have loved and lost (or sold off in a big sale) than to never have loved at all.

I have sold off a poopload of cars over the years (and bought that many as well) and the cars that remain have truly withstood the test of time. I tried them all, found the ones I like and am better for it.
Kind of like dating :lol

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I have to admit you got a good point there: at least you had the car once. Yeah, I can definitively see the advantage of that. The problem is that at least in my case it wouldn't work out because I would have a very hard time letting go of old loves. :giggle

·
Loves Cars
374 Posts
Half the fun of collecting for me is snagging those hard to find models that I passed on when I had the change to get them. The harder they are to find at that point, the greater the challenge to find them, the more rewarded I feel when I finally get it. However for many of them, the kill was fun part, and after a few months or years, they just become another underappreciated model that tends to blur the line of my collection.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I agree on the first part of your reply, but not the last...when I look now at some HTF models I got, I still feel the pleasure I had when I first got them into my hands. Those HTF one will never become 'underappreciated' as you call them...I still adore my blue UT C DTM #17 Ellen Lohr , or my AUTOart CLK LM # 35 and more...
The only thing that I have is that with some models, I now have the feeling that maybe, just maybe I have payed too much too achieve them...in my humble opinion :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I agree with you! Most of my cars I have waited for and never regreted not getting right when it came out.

My collection is rather large and I do contemplate thinning it in order to make room and finance new ones, but like Luc said, it is hard to get rid of old ones.

There are some models that do not fit my collection and those are going to be the first to go, but as far as being concerned about the size, hardly! There are other things in my life that are of more "concern" :giggle

G

·
I had to essentially stop collecting because I ran out of feasable space (ie I already look like a total nut with cars everywhere - anymore would render it difficult for me to actually move around)

My whole plan is to become a famous rock star, in which case one day you'll see me with a rediculously large house and several rooms of die cast cars on MTV's Cribs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.