DiecastXchange Forum banner

Congratulations - Winner Picture of the Year 2022!!!

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Craig 
#1 ·
Font Entertainment Event Space Graphics

Hi all, the voting for the DX Picture of the Year 2022 contest has finished and for the second year in a row, I am pleased to announce that the winner is channabasanna, with his Ferrari Transporter picture!

Yet another fantastic realistic picture!!

Thank you to all who took part. I cannot run the contest without you guys! :love::love::love:

The picture will be used for our forum banner for a whole year :cool::cool::cool:

Guys, please give it up for channabasanna and the 2022 Picture of the year!!!

See less See more
#19 ·
Big congrats, Channa!! 👏 👏 👏
And with 5(!) POTM winners in this contest more than well deserved!

Thanks to @Craig for all the effort and promotion!
It‘s really a shame that only 33 DXers voted… :sick:
Thanks Dirk! I appreciate the mention :) You are right about the number of voters, I was also hoping it would be more!

Reactions: preisman and vulpex
#13 ·
Congrats on the win, @channabasanna

I have to be honest. I don't get it. It's pretty much the same photo as last year. Channa had 5 photos and I honestly think the weakest photo won. The other 4 are far more interesting and fun to look at. The background is boring. The composition is boring. And it is so similar to last year's winner. I get that this is very subjective, but I was really hoping for something new and different.

And please, this is not a knock on Channa. I love their photos and think they are amongst the best on the forum. Channa absolutely deserves to win. I just thought it would have been one of the other photos.

Anyways, you can throw all the hate toward me if you want. I don't mean any disrespect. I am also not upset that I lost. I literally just put a model on a table and used my phone. Saying that, thank you to those that did vote for me. I really appreciate it.

@colourkin22 @vulpex @Stirling_Moss @nick7051 @Marios - Congrats on your photos and wins this past year. Every photo is awesome.
@colourkin22, I love your diorama shots. They are full of life and I love the lighting. Very unique and fun. And of course, the model cars are iconic.
@vulpex - You are always in the mix for photos of the month and year. That Bug photo is something wild. So vibrant. This could be used as an advert or hung on a wall. It is very cool.
@Stirling_Moss - The most technical photo of the group and the most interesting. The cutaway shot shows off the model, the real car, and your skills.
@nick7051 - My favorite GTO livery, and you captured it so well. Studio shots are so clean and put ALL the focus on the model. This shot is great.
@Marios - I love your photos. I seem to nominate your photos every month. The Delehaye is pure art. And your photo literally highlights this. This is a photo I would have on my wall.
@channabasanna - Your diorama photos are insane. So much going on, but still, the focus is on the cool model cars. And your GT2 RS photo shows off the model in natural light outdoors. I am always a fan of outdoor shots. Only two of the 12 photos were outdoors. I hope there are more this year. And I am glad yours was part of the comp. Also, FIVE photos. That is awesome. You are truly the king of the Photo of the Month and deserve to have won the yearly comp, again.

#16 ·
I have to be honest. I don't get it. It's pretty much the same photo as last year. Channa had 5 photos and I honestly think the weakest photo won. The other 4 are far more interesting and fun to look at. The background is boring. The composition is boring. And it is so similar to last year's winner. I get that this is very subjective, but I was really hoping for something new and different.
Well, that is your opinion. To be brutally honest as well, there were only two pictures in there that I personally thought were the best: the one that won, and colourkin22's Ferrari 250 GTO. The others were all... well, I don't want to use the word "average", but none of them really wowed me the way these two did.

So, in my opinion, one of the two best POTY won.

I wanted to say one more thing separate from the above. Get out there and shot your models! Photographing my models has brought so much joy to my collection. When I buy models I think about where I want to shoot them. And when I travel I tend to bring a model for photos. It is just another way to enjoy the hobby. You also don't need to be an expert or have expensive equipment. I just use my phone. I use whatever editing app I have on my phone. You might start off rough, but it will get better. And it will be fun. I hope to see more members nominated, and WIN.
Great advice, but not possible to everyone due to a lot of reasons, including weather, lack of time, disability, better things to do with the little time available...

Also not entirely true regarding equipment. Try comparing a picture taken with the latest iPhone and a picture taken with my 2016 Samsung J7. So yeah, equipment counts, and whoever says it doesn't it's either because they already have the best, or have no clue what they're talking about, or both.

(y)

#14 ·
I wanted to say one more thing separate from the above. Get out there and shot your models! Photographing my models has brought so much joy to my collection. When I buy models I think about where I want to shoot them. And when I travel I tend to bring a model for photos. It is just another way to enjoy the hobby. You also don't need to be an expert or have expensive equipment. I just use my phone. I use whatever editing app I have on my phone. You might start off rough, but it will get better. And it will be fun. I hope to see more members nominated, and WIN.

Cheers

#24 ·
Congrats to @channabasanna for the win! Congrats to ALL for participating. I myself believe that all photos were much above average both in technical and in inspiring way. Everyone must understand that any technique used, has its difficulties. It's not easy to put a 1/18 model car in a real world background and present it as real and not as a little toy in a vast world. As, its quite difficult to shoot a model in a studio, controling the lights in a correct way and afterwards spending time for the post proccessing. I believe it's not the equipment but a conbination of inspiration (the right "eye" as photographers used to say) and your knowledge about photography. In any way, i'm very glad to see interesting photos, and i would be much more happy if more voters would spend 1 minute of their time to see and vote all of our efforts!

#25 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone, it was indeed a great set of pics in the contest. Congratulations to all whose pics were nominated. Special mention to @Craig who always takes the pain and does the hardwork of organising the contests, I would wish everyone to participate in the contests or in the forum.

@preisman respecting your perspective, I had used the backdrop to click the pictures and coincidently the pics are having similar background.

Just to add on I have been inspired / learning over years looking at the pics of @colourkin22 @vulpex @Stirling_Moss @nick7051 @Marios and many other collector friends on how to click the pics, and try my way to share my models in the forum.

#26 ·
@channabasanna Yes again congrats, I echo some of Jon's statement about your winning photo; it certainly wasn't my favorite and I did not vote for all the reasons he mentioned. That said, it is still is a good photo and I really like it for many reasons; hard to not like that many Ferrari's so cleverly displayed in one image. But it underscores and highlights, as Jon stated, how much subject matter will over rule everything else about a photo when getting someone's vote. I have put my images in a few voter's choice contests, both here and elsewhere and I found early the results can be disappointing and bewildering. At the end of the day people will and should vote for what they like whatever the subject or image quality of their favorite photo.

@cwbs, following up on the above point; I and many of us understand your frustration and I doubt it has much to do with what device you are using to shoot your models or how good your are with an image editor. Yes!, those things make a difference and can't be ignored but something to consider is that there are those with us with pro level equipment, a know how with Photoshop and have spent hours thinking about, shooting, and then editing one image only to have it get little or no votes. How many amazing images has @Stirling_Moss put up only to get no reaction, or a comment from anyone? I haven't put a photo in the POTM contest myself for a long time time for the same reason you mentioned. It is only because someone like @Marios nominated one of mine that was even in the few monthly rounds that I was and was shocked when that image did well or surprisingly won!. So if in the end your not into taking photos of your models because life just doesn't allow for it, then that is understandable; again most of us face the same thing. I shoot something and might get the photos done and uploaded in a month, maybe? But don't let it be because of your frustration with a lack of reaction to your photos, take photos of your collection because you like doing it and don't worry about what reaction you do or do not get. I think a lot of your photos are good just as they are but you have to be into it. Also despite what the industry tells you; it is not the camera or phone you don't have, it is what you do with the one you do, that is the creative part. @vulpex used a tv for a light source and his photos turned out quite nice lol. My cent worth.

A big thanks to all for all the monthly eye candy and @Craig for working like mad to promote it.

#27 ·
@Craig are we ever going to update the websites banner with the latest Photo of the Year winner? @channabasanna won and their photo should be on display for everyone to see. Cheers.

#28 ·
Hi Jon,
Yes it has been a year this month. So that is something I will get done.

Reactions: preisman
#29 ·
Hi all,

As you may have seen the forum banner has now been changed! :cool: I have made a thread to celebrate this, please do take the time to look in and share your congratulations. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.