DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to blow off some stress earlier in the week, and like I have done in the past, I turned to hacking away at a diecast.

This started as an Ertl Hardtop that I bought for $8 in a bad box and it had some paint scratches from the factory.

I dremeled away the top and made a top boot from and old leather chair that was being thrown away.

I usually use a Jeweler's saw, but it was taking forever so I bought a #199 Dremel bit and it cut it like it was butter.

I kinda rushed it as the BMF is sloppy and the cut is not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Good job, Al! It looks great! Was the GTO ever offered as a convertable in that year? Regardless, I love to go cruizin' in a 1:1 anyday!!!

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sean! :cheers Yes, the '69 GTO was offered as a vert and it also was offered as a vert Judge (which this was a dry-run into making one :wink )

This is far from a great job, but it was a learning experience.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Like all your customs, this looks great, Al - looks like a really good job on the boot!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! BTW, this is how it started. I just remembered that I also replaced the broken antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say 2-3 hours total over a couple of days. I disassembled it, cut the top, cut the plastic 'glass', worked on the top boot and the reassembled it. The cutting is what took me the longest. The carbide cutting wheels were going slow. I changed to the fiberglass cutting wheels, and it went faster, but the #199 cutting 'saw' did the trick.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Great job, Al!!

The car looks sweet!

Thanks for sharing the kinds and types of tools needed to do a job like this. Many times folks want to do some mods, they have the determination and motivation, but are reluctant because they are frustrated by their lack of knowlegde of the correct tools and equipment to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.