DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Having seen this car face-to-face at the ALMS race at Mosport International Raceway, I knew I had to eventually add this car to my collection. Being a fan of Canadian racer Ron Fellows, I decided to add this car over the #64 C5-R from 2004 that won at Le Mans. Ron didn't drive that car. So, call me biased. :giggle

This car has 3 drivers listed on it: Ron Fellows/Johnny O'Connell/Max Papis. From the fact (1) it has no windows and (2) has those front "canard wings" (not sure of proper term), I believe AUTOart recreated this C5-R as it was setup for the 12Hr Sebring race. I'm not sure why there were no windows at Sebring, but my first guess is that the temperature was very high. So removing windows would allow for much better ventilation within the cockpit in an otherwise very hot interior. Remember, there's no air conditioning in race cars, only cool-suits for the drivers. The canard wings are for increased downforce. AUTOart's choice to make this version of the #3 is a good one as it won the GTS class at Sebring that year. :happy :happy Comparing this diecast to a photo taken at that Sebring race, the major details of the diecast does appear to be quite accurate. (I'll have to take a closer look later on when I have a free moment).

The exterior details appear very well crafted. All the panels and pieces fit together very well. The engine is something to appreciate. This isn't because it looks exceptionally good, but because AUTOart has chosen to make the 2005 C6-R as a sealed model. To me, that's a travesty since they entire line of race C5-Rs are all unsealed. So, it's really a terrible turn of events in my opinion.

(click for 800x530 photos)

AUTOart's attention to little details are pretty impressive. If you click on the middle photo, look carefully at the colour of the headlights. They are actually yellow. This is as per the requirement that all GTS and GT car headlights be yellow. This helps differentiate them from the faster LMP1 and LMP2 class cars in the evening.

Here are some thumbnails of the car as I saw it at Mosport.
(click for 640x480 photos)

And some photos from the sister car, the #4 driven by Olivier Beretta and Oliver Gavin.

G

·
:hot

Very nice indeed.

Congrats on adding it.

Are these limited editions or something, because I have yet to see these availbale anywhere. :confused

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations, Felix - that's a beautiful model, and a great showcase for your photographic skills!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Darrick. I've seen this car only in one store locally and only one time on eBay. I don't think it is ltd. ed. I wonder if it's the result of AUTOart recrafting the way it deals with its brick & mortar distrbutors?

Are you on the hunt for one of these to add to your extensive C5-R collection?

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Congrats Felix! :cheers

Of course you'd pick the Ron Fellows car, I'd do the same! :giggle

I don't ahve the blue C5R's, did those have the front wings and no windows as well? :confused

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Thanks for the clearup Felix! :cheers

Seems AUTOart really did some homework and made the right C5R for Sebring... I tihnk I might have to grab one of these too...

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome Gary. At some point in time, I want to track down some engine photos of the 1:1 and see how accurately it has been re-created by AUTOart. Happy hunting for your #3 car!

G

·
Felix,

Yes I am looking for this one to add to my others.

I have a feeling this will be the last one for a while that we will see from AUTOart. :pullhair

G

·
Congratz on you new addition, great photography as usual!

Did it come without any QC issues?

I'm asking this because I received my #64 like this a couple of days ago:

Sadly that wasn't the only thing wrong with it! :pullhair

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
:scared :scared :scared What on earth happened there?!?!?! Is there any sign of the box having been opened before? Any marks on the black plastic base that migh tbe evidence of something hitting the rear part of the car?? That is a really really horrible problem! I hope the vendor will offer their fullest cooperation and get your broken car replaced. Plus, they should cover your postage fees for returning the car to them (if they still want it).

What ELSE was wrong with your #64?? Mine was in immaculate condition. Since I bought it at a local hobby show that just lasted 3 days, I did a very thorough inspection of my car before paying for it.

G

·
I'm pretty sure that it is a problem of AUTOart, since the box was still in perfect shape, also I'm pretty sure no one has opened it before, why would they?
Besides the wheel problem, the rear 'window' is loose on one side and there is a crack in one of the attachment stubs. Also, when you open the rear cover of the car, which is something they allow you to do, you see that it's full of fingermarks and little paint spills. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since they want you to be able to look under there, you would expect them to make it look a bit more appealing.
In the mean time I have managed to get the wheel in a more normal position, but it still doesn't look all that great.

It seems that I am not the only one having issues, that's why I asked: http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/index...topic=25559&hl=

I have already emailed the vendor, but haven't gotten a reply yet...
Good to hear that there are no problems on your car! :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that alone is sufficient evidence that there is at least one problem that originated from the factory. That is legitimate reason for the vendor to take the car back and send you an undamaged #64, all at the vendor's cost. They should then take up the QC issues with AUTOart and seek some form of compensation for resolving this problem that appears to be completely AUTOart's. Thanks for the link. I should re-check my windows to see that I do not have those problems. :cheers I hope you get a cooperative reply from the vendor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.