DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past year or so, I've noticed the cost of 1/43 models starting to creep up. It's caused me to re-think which models I would get in that scale vs. its equivalent in 1/18 (particularly the dastardly sealed ones). I've noticed IXO makes the C6.R in 1/43 but the price is often a just slightly below the cost of its 1/18 equivalent. As I spotted this one for a pretty good price (including shipping + tax), I scooped it.

Here are some quick and dirty shots I took as the sun was setting last night.

I've seen the C6.Rs twice at the local Mosport track where they compete in the ALMS and they sound awesome. Seeing them duel with the Aston Martins in 2006 was a real treat too. While the model is not exactly the same as the #64 that competed at Le Mans, it's still something to help me reminisce my trips out to Mosport.

G

·
Felix,

Congrats the newest piee to your collection. :cheers

I'm going to be stubborn on this model - even though I need it pretty badly :lol

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Beautiful pics as always Felix, but you've been naughty!

G

·
'Quick and dirty shots', huh, Felix? You liar! :giggle
Congrats on your great looking model. While I still don't like sealed diecasts (who does anyway?), at least these AutoArts are a little more than big 1/43s - I mean detail wise. Big 1/43s are the Norevs, which don't even steer their front wheels! :mob - AUTOart makes 1/43s that do steer, so what's the big deal?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Congrats Felix. Mixed feelings on this one of course. I like the subject matter, I like the exterior detail, and I certainly understand your point of view as regards the 1:43 equivalent being barely any cheaper. But it's still a sealed 1:18 at the end of the day, and whilst my wish list is still plentiful, they just don't hold enough appeal for me.

Great photos of course. I'd love to see it alongside the DBR9 :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hey John...yeah...I have been naughty. My hope is that the lower cost I paid for the model translates into a lower profit margin for AUTOart, which sends them a signal the appeal of sealed models are much more limited compared to fully open ones. Gosh, I hope that's not to naive a view on my part! :lol Glad you like the pics. :cheers As far as the 1:1s go, I really like the C5-R much more than the C6.R. I just likes its lines better.

Jinx: Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, they were quick shots. :lol I've noticed price on 1/43 creep up a bit from ~ 2 years ago. Maybe it's because I'm comparing with models that had been released and on the market for a while and their prices had fallen a bit due to reduced demand. :confused But Minichamps 1/43 certainly aren't all that cheap. I'll consider a 1/43 for my collection where it's not made in 1/18 scale. Without doubt, there's a lot more variety in 1/43 and that's a big part of the appeal of that scale to me.

I didn't know Norev models' front wheels don't steer. Yuck! Do you know if that is true for the upcoming Audi R10? I've become skeptical of Spark's products that I now won't buy them unless I inspect it first face-to-face. I know they make a R10 in 1/43 but I'm really not sure if the cost is justified based on its quality. It's something I would want to check out. But the significance of it in racing with its many wins and its diesel engine definitely makes me want to find one in some scale for my collection. :cheers

If I understand you correctly, you ask "what's the big deal" to point out that there is at least one manufacturer whose products are worse than AUTOart's sealed ones. But I have to ask a question...how do Norev's prices for their race cars compare to AUTOart's? Of course, quality is another factor to the "value" equation.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then I think you are the stronger man compared to me (I do mean that sincerely Dave!). I respect people that stick to their values and convictions. Let's just say I bought this C6.R more as a souvenir that 'resembles' like the car rather than a model that represents the 1:1 more comprehensively (if I could word it loosely that way). :giggle

G

·
What I meant was, if there's a manufacturer who can make 1/43 models with steerable wheels at an average price (1/43 AUTOart's are not more expensive than Minichamps's), how come that a manufacturer like Norev (who has shown to be able of some interesting technical achievements in 1/43 like really collapsible hard-tops for example) puts out a 1/18 without the slightest attribute common to this scale such as opening parts... or steerable wheels? Certainly it's not a technical limitation, and probably not a price issue either. But look at the 905 - now this is a big (and simplified) 1/43...
It's a fact that Norev's prices are much lower than AUTOart's (both the 905 and the R10 are being quoted at about 40 euros)... but on the other hand, Solido and Maisto's prices are generally even lower - and yet they do feature opening parts and steering! Why does this happen? I don't understand. Really.
BTW, I'm almost sure that their R10 is also a straight runner... :smack

G

·
Sweet! The C6.R is such a nice car and I can testify that it sounds beyond awesome! :eek:mg The model, despite it's minor flaws and it's sealedness, is a very good representation of the actual car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.