DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just finished this custom Vette and I wanted to share it with you all. This is my C6 tribute to the C1, the first generation Corvette, the Corvette that set the standard for styling and performance that is responsible for it's longevity and world wide recognition.

THis model started out as a 1:18 scale Hotwheels C6 convertible in Precision Red with a Cashmere interior. I painted the '56 - '61 style cove on the side in White with Silver trim that follows the front fender lip just like the C1's. I started to do the interior in Red, but my wife suggested doing it in White to accent the side cove and stand out more. So I painted the seats, door panels, dash panels and floor boards in White and added White accents to the steering wheel. For a little contrast, I painted the center console and center gage bezel Red to simulate continuous flow from the center "water fall" down through the center of the passenger compartment.

I followed the White accent theme under the hood with the fuel rail covers and coolant recovery tank. I added chrome accents to the radiator shroud and the fuse panel cover and painted the crossed flags on the under side of the hood.

To dress the car up a bit, I added chrome roll bars behind the seats and chrome trim on the headlight covers as well as a chrome license plate frame. I painted the teeth in the grill silver to simulate the chrome teeth of the C1 grills.

Finally, I added the custom chrome wheels that I robbed from a 1/24 scale import tuner kit and pained the brake calipers Red.

I was really pleased with the way that this car turned out and I hope that you all like it as well. Thanks for looking. :cheers

Jon

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Dang Jon! It's looks great!!! Wonderful job you did on this one.

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks for the compliment Darrick. I have attached a couple more shots of the engine compartment. The fuel rail covers were supposed to be gloss White, but after I applied the Corvette and Crossed flag decals, I sprayed them with clear enamel that reacted adversely with the White paint and caused it to "crackle up". I let it sit overnight and it layed back down enough that it looks like a hammered finish. It looked kind of unique, so I just left it. Enjoy. :cheers

Jon

G

·
The frc's don't look bad at all.

I like what you've done with it.

What do use for the roll bars?

To paint the fine detail, are you using a camel's hair brush?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
That is one heck of a mod! :10 :cheers I bet GM would sell a few if they offered a 1:1 package just like that! It is very tastefully done and not over the top.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:iagree This is a really nice custom job! :10

The only thing that looks out of place to me are the rims, maybe something a little less sporty :confused

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a coat rack in Lowes that was made of chromed steel rod stock formed into hooks. I cut the ends of the hooks off and straightened them out a little bit to perfectly simulate 3" chrome tube roll bars on the real car. For $9.00, I got 6 sets out of it. As for the fine details in the engine compartment and interior, I do use fine camels hair brushes to paint them. However, the silver trim around the side cove was masked off and painted with an air brush. Thanks for the compliments Darrick.

Jon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw a real C6 at Mid Americas Funfest this year with a set of these aftermarket chrome headlight moldings and really liked them. So I layed a piece of paper over the head light on this model and traced the ouline of the headlight cover, then transferred it to some chrome tape that I got at the auto parts store. I then use scissors to trim the chrome tape to the shape you see, and stuck it on there. I think it dresses up the car a bit. Thanks for asking Roadstermatt :cheers .

Jon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.