DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduced in 1999 as a "budget" Corvette with a perforance slant to it. The Vette Hardtop rang up just over 4000 sales for the year.
This car was not available with the full range of options that the Coupe and Convt. coud get. That fact caused the brass at GM to step in and mandate some of the content be put back in the car and the budget Corvette part was not as low in price as haad been originally planned. GM was having a tough time financially and needed every dollar coming in they could get!

Coming in at 92 pounds less than the coupe and with the Z51 suspension package as standard equipment with the 345 HP LS1 engine and the only transmission was the 6 speed manual, this car was a good warm up to what woule eventually become the Z06 for the 2001 model year.

This model is UT at its best. I am not sure if they did anything better than the C5 vettes.
If only they could have kept this line going, who knows how many great cars we would have at affordable prices.
This car has the shape, stance, build quality and features of a much more expensive diecast. I have 3 that I bought brand new and didn't pay over $20 for any of them.

Attachments

G

·
:coolpics Great review. I used to sell these, actually selling the 1st one in Canada to a loyal repeat c5 customer I remeber the order guide had a cloth interior sample which was later revised before release of the car. :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Looks great, Jeff - I never knew UT made these, all I've seen is the coupe and convertible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This model is UT at its best. I am not sure if they did anything better than the C5 vettes.
If only they could have kept this line going, who knows how many great cars we would have at affordable prices.
This car has the shape, stance, build quality and features of a much more expensive diecast.
[post="412359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]
:iagree You are absolutely right Jeff. UT made an excellent die cast. I have all of the '78 Corvette models that they did and they are impressive. Some of my favorite die casts. I wish they were still producing. Nice pics! :cheers

Jon

G

·
UT cannot be commeded enough for their C5's and this FRC is certainly proof if that.

These have become pretty tough to find now, particularly the Nassau Blue.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:exactly And it seems that the supply of these is starting to dry up in all colors.
They are not as plentiful as they were a year ago.

Kurt, King, Bob, John and Jon, Thanks so much for your kind words! :cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.