DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the Porsche 935s that came after these, C1 made some awesome racing Vettes only to end up selling them at half price.
Myabe not worth the original price but easily worth more than the blowout price of $59.

This is the A production car of Tony Delorenzo , I don't really know much about its history :confused

The model is extremely heavy and the build quality is very high.
Some very nice details at least to Minichamps levels and realistic looking paint job makes this car a very nice one to have even though it is getting harder to find.
The car does have dog leg style hinges and the brake detail is nothing to right home about but if you like thse Vettes, there are none better to be had.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot, I had a request for a pic of this one...
Here you go Buddy :cheers

Attachments

G

·
Very cool Vettes Jeff.

Funny you put this one up here, as Im very close to getting one!

They are very pleasing to the eye considering their age.

ps. does it come with a drive side mirror?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I just didn't take it out of the package, one less thing to break! :happy

G

·
Are you sayin these sell for 60$??

Wow.... awesome piece. But are they really old pieces? I just dont buy it because of excessive shipping and customs which well... would make it too expensive. Maybe they will make it to EU like the 935s did...... I hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Jeff :happy If I had to choose, it would certainly be this one :tongue

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Such a nice car! A shame C1 isn't in very good shape right now. It would be awesome to see more cars with this level of quality.

And does anyone know why these cars are so dog gone heavy? :confused

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Nice looking 'Vette Jeff. I found this little blurb at the Muscle Machines web site. . .

"DeLorenzo's cars were sponsored by Owens-Corning Fiberglas, and the red and white cars terrorized Sports Car Club of America road racing in the late 1960s and early 1970s. DeLorenzo, likely through his father's connections at GM, was able to have factory race parts delivered to his front door within a day after ordering them, said Mark Innocenzi, 45, of Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, who owns our featured vintage racer. It's one of the three Tony DeLorenzo Owens-Corning 1969 Corvettes, which all came with the vaunted, 427-cu.in. L88. The L88s were raced in A Production both in SCCA and FIA (Federation Internationale De L'Automobile) competition in the United States. Chevrolet only produced 216 of these monsters for street use, and today they're enormously prized. With 430 advertised horsepower, the street version came to the customer with a 12.0:1 compression ratio requiring 103 octane fuel, which wasn't even widely available in 1969, aluminum heads, and an 850-cfm Holley atop an aluminum intake manifold."

Delorenzo must have had connections because I believe this was still during the period when GM had an "official" corporate ban on racing, but supplied parts through the back door to people like Penske, Gulstrand and others. . .

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Nice piece, Jeff. :eek:k Very cool. I definitely have to get one of these.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Awesome 'vettes, Jeff!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Three racer versions of Carousel 1 Corvette:

And what they could have made if they had just stuck in there a little longer:

While the true "Greenwood" wide-body Corvettes took on an identity all their own, the early IMSA years were replete with numerous SCCA A and B Production stock chassis Corvettes that were just a body kit away from being competitive in that fledgling series. I remember going to IMSA races in the early 70's and looking at the really trick looking Corvettes, and underneath the skin, nothing much had changed from their SCCA origins.

Carousel 1, please, please, please, use your Corvette L-88 chassis molds to bring these back!

:cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts