DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts

This car and livery stole my heart a long time ago. Failing to get either of the cars that entered into the 24Hr Le Mans in 2003, I found this little gem that raced in the 1000km endurance race that's part of the LMES (Le Mans Endurance Series). It finished 2nd overall.

As the only store I could find selling this car was EWA, I bought it from them. I must give a huge thanks to Jeff (Max Power) since he relayed this car to me. This allowed the car to be a 'reasonably' affordable. He was even so generous as to mail it to me at his own cost. That was his birthday treat to me. Many thanks my friend!!! :cheers :cheers

About the car....
This little gem is made by Spark. It is a limited edition as only 349 pieces were made (see outer sleeve). This diecast is quite unique as it's got a number of autographs on various places of the packaging. First off, there's that of Henri Pesacarolo. He used to be an F1 driver, has competed in the Le Mans numerous times, and entered cars into the Le Mans from 2001 onwards. His signature appears on the clear box cover. Then, there are the autographs of the drivers that appear on the base/plinthe. The one gaffe that Spark made was on one of the names. It claims J.C. Bouchut co-drove the car. It was actually Stephane Sarrazin. I have noticed this isn't the first time Spark has messed up on an important detail of that sort. :confused

Overall, the car itself is made beautifully. The paint is smooth and full of lustre. The wheels and tires are typical Spark, very good quality! This is by far one of my favourite cars made by Spark.

Race: Le Mans 1000km (LMES)
Driven by: Stephane Sarrazin (F)/Franck Lagorce (F)/Sébastien Bourdais (F)
Result: 2nd Place Overall (3 laps behind the winner)

(click for 800x530 photo. Typ. 120kb)

G

·
Congrats on your new addition Felix! :cheers

Your pics are great too as always, especially with the black background, the colours of the care become so vibrant! :nicejob

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Methinks someone is becoming a bigger 1:43 collector than the 1:18s :giggle

Lovely pictures Felix of what looks like an excellent model.

That 'extra information and ...a potted history' makes this one of the more interesting posts :nicejob

Well done Jeff for helping Felix empty his wallet :nicejob

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Fab looking model Felix. I am pretty amazed how they get the pinstripe designs so well on such a tiny thing. Fab photos too. :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
:coolpics and great car Felix!

See, i'm happy and sad at the same time that these things are only in 1:43 scale.

Sad:
These would look gooooood in 1:18! :eek:k especially with opening parts

Happy:
1) I can't afford them all! Money saved! :giggle
2) AUTOart would probably get rights to produce them if they're produced in 1:18, and we know what AUTOart loves to do with racers....

G

·
Felix.

Great shots. I too love this car and it's livery. I'd really like to see someone do it in 1/18, but we know that's pretty much a no go.

Must resist 1/43 temptation..... :pullhair

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Beautiful Felix, a great model! :nicejob

You know that with your cars and pics you are not helping me stay clear of 1:43 (at all!), right?

G

·
Hey! Another beautiful piece! :nicejob :cheers

Looks like you'll never get out of this 1/43 pit...

Need help?

*Lower basket with lotion down*

Make sure you rub it in real good now.

G

·
Hi Felix,

This is one of the best paint and livery on a sports car in quite some time. I personally feel you made a great choice in scaling down to the 43rd arena. There are endless supply of sports car projects coming out from Spark, iXO, Red Line, and Minichamps to fill a LeMans grid with no problems.

BTW, very good review on the model. One note is that Spark makes their models out of resin, not diecast. That's part of the reason how they can churn new models so quickly!

Keep up the great photography and reviews!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your kind remarks everyone. :cheers

Kyle (yamix) : Thanks for pointing out that the model is resin and not a diecast. I wasn't aware that the choice of that material allows Spark to bring a diecast to market that much quicker.

G

·
Yes, the development time for developing a cast for resin vs. diecast is a quite a bit shorter and not as investment intensive as diecast as well. You also don't have to make as many models (edition quantities) to recoup your initial investment unlike diecast models.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Very interesting. I'm still a relative newbie to resin models.

Of the big 1/43 race car manufacturers, could you tell me which ones are exclusively resin (& which are diecast)? The big names I'm thinking of include:
- Red Line
- Spark (pretty sure 100% resin)
- Minichamps
- IXO
- Onyx
- BBR (resin only?)
- AutoBarn (resin only?)

Would you happen to have any good links to any model manufacturing process using resins (preferably for cars)?

G

·
Very interesting. I'm still a relative newbie to resin models.

Of the big 1/43 race car manufacturers, could you tell me which ones are exclusively resin (& which are diecast)? The big names I'm thinking of include:
- Red Line
- Spark (pretty sure 100% resin)
- Minichamps
- IXO
- Onyx
- BBR (resin only?)
- AutoBarn (resin only?)

Would you happen to have any good links to any model manufacturing process using resins (preferably for cars)?
-Red Line (resin, RL is sister company to Spark)
-Spark (resin, same with Bizarre)
-Minichamps (diecast, except for a few resin models recently made. Earlier examples from Minichamps were white metal kits)
-iXO (diecast)
-Onyx (diecast except for Nissan R390 and Toyota GT-One, which were plastic)
-BBR (mostly resin and a few white metal kits, diecast for new 1/18 models)
-Auto Barn (resin)
-AUTOart (diecast with plastic details, i.e. MBZ DTM 2000 pieces)

Sorry, I don't have any links for resin mfg process. :(

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks for all that info Kyle! :cheers

I noticed Minichamps' 1/43 are diecasts. Do they knock out new models relatively quickly compared to their counterparts? For some reason, I got the impression that they bring new models to the market fairly quickly.

G

·
It take Minichamps about 10 months to a year (usually, but some items delayed for several years) to come out with new models. Minichamps is just very good at knocking out different variations of the same mold, which makes it seem like new cars are released quickly.

Everyone is watching Spark nowdays.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.