DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the CM line is attempting a small comeback with a couple of yenko Camaro's.
For those that don't remember CM was owned be Revell and made 69 Camaros, 66 Shelbys, 68/68 GT40, a vette and I think a Viper to a nice standard of detail (for its time) in the odd scale of 1:20.

I think they always had a mystique about them and they were highly sought after if there more rare version, some of them were bringing crazy money on ebay in diecasts glory years.

Last i heard anything about them was a few years ago they were selling super cheap at T J Maxx department/discount stores. I think the rare ones have always had some worth but noting close to 5+ years ago.

The cars were nice, about like the Ertl middle line (can't remeber what they call it :giggle )
Not as nice as a HW61 or the top line Ertls, they are well made however but in an old tech way.
They used to retail over $100, I have no idea what they will cost now.
Maybe there are enough hard core CM collectors to justify a small run of them but based on the merits of the model itself, its kind of hard to think that it will sell unless they can knock the price down to the $30-$35 range. Even then it would be a stretch for many.
Now if they would re-release the GT40's.......

G

·
1:20 scale :dizzy

Well the subject matter of the Camaro alone may net them a few sales, but its such a odd scale to say the least.

Seems as if every company is looking for a angle to come at collectors, can't blame them for thinking like a business - just may take some getting used to from the collectors aspect.

Personally, $100 is enough to keep me away from 1:20 scale.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Here is an interesting story about them:
http://www.jsssoftware.com/diecast/stories/CM_CARS.swf

I must say, that back then when first released, they were the new standard, and may had justified the MSRP. But I don't think so anymore. The Authentics deliver much more for about a third of that.
The original run may justify a premium, for sentimental reasons and the 1 of 200 LE, but they really hurt their value when they were flushed through TJMaxx for $29.

Doglegs do not belong on a $129 diecast anymore.

I have a feeling that the Yenkos will sell as there are enough PP that buy anything attached to Yenko, but then again, if SC releases them in 1/18 before Revell, using the HW61, these will find themselves at TJMaxx again!

G

·
allow me to ask the question as al brought up a great point, people will buy anything with Yenko attached to it.

Who is the targeted market for these models - collectors or auto enthusiasts? If its the later, then its not going to matter what scale they are ultimately - because they will sell anyways.

Collectors on the other hand will view them as being off scale.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I would say that while Revell may say that the collectors will buy them and they are geared toward them, but auto enthusiast will be the ones that will end up with them in my humble opinion. Some General fans have Yenko shrines built with any and every thing Yenko, so an odd scale is not a factor to them.

They are neat, but they are the wrong scale.

This article mentions that the test will be 2600, with hald being yellow and the other half being green.

http://www.toycarsmag.com/Default.aspx?tab...03#2803Articles

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With a price of $129 the Yenko owners may have to sell their 1:1 to buy this model :giggle
Hard to think that they are going to find over 2500 buyers at that price

·
Registered
202 Posts
Where did you see the price of $129.00 listed? I have a complete collection of the Creative Masters series in 1:20--I did not buy the Joeuf Ferrari in 24th scale because they were not true CM castings. Sure, I did buy extras when they were being closed out at TJ Maxx, but they are very well crafted, even by today's standards , other than the dogleg hinges. I hopw they sell well, despite being you guys claim as the 'wrong' scale. Who proclaimed what is the 'right' scale anyway.
:kick

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Revell has confirmed that they will be $129 retail. I have had many in my hands and while nice, they are below the level of an $50 Ertl Authentics.

You are right, there is no "wrong" scale, but I only collect 1/18, as many do, so these don't "fit" my collection.

I also don't see anything wrong with Revell trying to get more mileage out of the tools, I just don't see it happening at that price point.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the verification on the price point. I only have one Ertl Authentics, the '67 Camaro in black. It's an 'OK' product, but not very well done in the Qc department, especially the striping around the cowl area at the base of the windshield. The grille chrome areas are too thick making the car look toylike. Substandard in my opinion compared the the CM '69 Camaros. CM I think was the first diecast company to add photoetched emblems to their product and is still one of the few that do today. The CM Shelby GT350s certainly outshine the Lane Collectibles versions, by a mile and those retailed for a lot of money when first released and now have dropped in value too. CM Cobras are equal to Kyosho in 18th scale in quality and are near Exoto in shape accuracy, all have dogleg door hinges!

Don't discount CM just because it's a different scale, I know many collectors who collect 43rd, 24th in addition to 18th scale. I just think its sad to dismiss something because it's not your favorite size. :mob

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
"You guys?" Ouch. :dizzy I don't think anyone was saying 1:20th was a 'bad' or 'wrong' scale, simply an odd one. If all you collect is 1:18th scale, a 1:20th is not going to look right next to it. Plastic model manufacturers came out with several 1:20th scale models in the early and mid seventies, but they never really caught on big. I think this was Revells way of trying to entice people over to the diecast side when it started to blossom because 1:20ths were still floating around back then on the plastics market when CM came out. I remember just beginning to see the GT40 before I bailed on plastics. . .

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Don't feel like we are trying to diminish your collection or such. Why is it so hard to accept that that scale does not work for everybody. The CMs remind me of LaserDiscs. They showed a great advance for the time, but eventually they were left behind by more affordable and difference size format.

You may have gotten a bad Ertl, as there are QC problems with most diecast. I have all of the Authentics and for the most part all of them are near perfect.
On the flip side, I went to many TJ Maxx stores looking for the MCs and to a one, all of them had loose parts. Sure, some of them had been handled like toys, but some were retrived from the back and I was the first person to lay eyes since they left the factory. The many years and miles traveled had not kind to them.

To sum it up, 1/20 scale was odd then, and it is odd now. And may all of the folks that want one, get a flawless one. :cheers

G

·
I don't get it - and why should we be fall all over ourselves for these 1:20 scale models again :confused

AARGurney,
Personally, I am not dismissing anything - they simply don't work for me, even if they work for you. Am I not allowed to have a difference of opinon than yours.

I am not familiar with these models as I personally have none in my collection - I will take your word as them being nice models and worthy of the price tag.

From everything I have read about this line up through various articles, CM and its represenatives have spent a lot of time defending the reasoning behind why these are 1:20 scale than anything else. So it seems, there is a lot of head scratching by those who would be interested in them if they were 1:18 scale.

I have no problem with CM looking at new ways to approach the market, glad to know some company its attempting some form of ingenuity to breathe life into the hobby.

My question is this, relating to the earlier points about these models not being successful and/or having limited success based on the models being sold on clearnace - why would they choose to go down this road again? Sure doesn't seem like the sentiment is all that different from before.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Perhaps because the 1:1 has doglegs?

I've only got one Ertl P100, a Thunderbolt, and like Al's cars it's got no QC problems that I've ever noticed (Hwy 61, on the other hand, while offering nearly similar bang for the buck, often have some defects, but when you're getting so much model for so few dollars, I can usually live with them). As for the photoetched parts, please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they used by virtually all non-budget manufacturers now? And the fact that CM may have been one of the first to use them, while very important at the time, is hardly significant now. If you go shopping for a CD player do you insist on either a Sony or Philips because they developed the format? Finally, I think the main reason the Lane GT350 has dropped in price, is the release of the S/C version (similar detail for a fraction of the cost).

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
It appears that the approach this time to sell them will be different then before. They will sell directly and/or have a very limited dealer network.

In the past, it seems that anyone that wanted to be a dealer was able to, which lead to many weekend/garage dealers buying a case for for one for their personal collection and dumping the rest at cost. There was a period of time that these car were flodding eBay and many started at $1. This led the legitimate dealers to shy away from them and not order more, which in turn cause them to back up at the warehouse.
In the end Revell ended up dumping them on discount stores.

G

·
So who will this legitimate dealer market these models too?

Most 1:18 collectors want 1:18 models, not 1:20 scale models. And this isn't just me talking either.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe with the subject matter of the Yenko's really popular to non collectors alike, I think it won't matter to them if they are 1:20 scale.

In the end they will sell, but will collectors of traditional scale such as the 1:18 models really purchase these and ultimately motivate CM to produce another run.

If collectors aren't willing to support them, then maybe they are just better off marketing them to the "car guys" who will.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.