DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i got a question :)
Im a bit worryed at cutting the boot in 1 of my customs and thought i'd ask here b4 i cut it or even attempt to cut it, im just wondering has anyone got any tips on cutting the plastic in the boot? (pics at the bottom of page) im unsure if i should use a dremel on the lowest speed and take it slow or if i need anything like greese or something to get a smooth cut, any help would be awsome thanks in advanced.
Ben (HKdesigns)

·
Registered
919 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I've cut plastic with a Dremel before, and it has come out okay. One thing to be aware of is the thickness of the cut (or curf, I think it is called). And once you are done with the cut, there will be a melted plastic residue which will trim off easily with an Xacto knife.

You might try a practice cut, first, to see how it comes out.

Good Luck, and show us the final result!

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll try it out on the weekend with a few cheap cars i use for parts then if i think i have worked out the speed and slowness to do it i'll give it a shot the other thing, i was wondering about is the carpet style in the boot could i do any damage to the rest of it if i cut? and would it b best if i use a screw to make the 1st mark so the dremel doesnt go flying off to the side?
cheers
Hk.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
HI HK.

I would suggest going Old School and using a small hand saw or hacksaw blade. YOu can use a dremel but I have found using a slow hand saw is better. Just my 2 cents worth.

By the way, why are you cutting it? Are you making room for something?

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just making room for sound system in the vw phaeton, atm just has a row of amps at the back but i want to put them like in a false floor so am going to cut the hole out for the 3 to lay under the boot floor and will get some thin clear plastic cut it to size and put over it :) then i can have room for more subs and stuff..just going for a nice tidy install.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I would invest in a "Jeweler's Saw" and you will never go back to hacking with a Dremel on small pieces.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have use my packing knife on numerous occasions to cut plastic from chassis and trunks. I use a seesaw motion with the packing knife to cut the plastic.

1. draw lines on the area to be cut out.
2. using your knife push down on the plastic and make a marking on all the lines (so that it goes about halfway through the plastic)
3. keep going over these lines to make the cuts deeper.
4. when you can see light through the cuts you are making use the point of the knife to poke through the plastic and follow the lines until the piece falls out.
5. use a fine sand paper to make sure theres no rough edges

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.