DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 240Z had a very successful outing at the 19th East African Safari Rally in 1971. In it's first entry, it won the Over-all Victory, Class Victory, Team Victory and Manufactures Championship, duplicating the results the Datsun 1600SSS achieved the year before. Edgar Hermann / Hans Shuller finished first in the #11 car, Shekhar Mehta /Mike Doughty finished second overall in the #31 car, and Rauno Aaltonen / Paul Easter finished seventh in the #12 Z.

The Datsun successes continued in subsequent years, with 240Z's finishing fifth, sixth and tenth in 1972, and another overall win (and accident DNF) in '73, along with second and fourth in 1800SSS's.

Although it never won Monte Carlo, the Z performed credibly there as well, (fifth and tenth overall, second in class in 1971, third overall in 1972, and ninth overall in 1973).

I'll start by saying this model has some unfortunate attachment stubs in all eight clear lights (two headlights, five forward- and one rear-facing auxiliary lamps). Also, the hood doesn't open nearly far enough (only about 30 degrees instead of nearly 90). Still, considering it's age, Kyosho did a fine job on this, like all their rally cars. Shutlines are so tight it's hard to open the doors and hood, nice interior with no doglegs on the doors, a really nicely done rear compartment, photo-etched trim, and like the other two Nissan/Datsun models with inline sixes I own a great engine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Fantastic car John, and great pics too mate :nicejob It looks like Kyosho did a great job on this car. It'd be great to see some footage of this old girl in action at Safari :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark - how did I know you'd like it? lol. It would be nice to see footage of all the classic rally cars from the '60's and '70's.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Luc - that was pretty much my reaction when it came up as part of a lot of five models several months back.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave, and thanks for the link...good clip!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.