DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a model with a medium size part that is attached (crookedly) to the model's body with Super Glue. I have tried to break it off but cannot without destroying the part. I cannot cut this piece because it will distort the piece rendering it worthless as well.

If the Super Glue could be "deactivated" I could then reattach it properly.

Is there a product that will do this?

Will the "deactivating" product damage paint or tampos?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You can buy super glue remover in a tube. It takes many repeated applications, and lots of patience to remove a part this way, and with some types of paint, prolonged exposure to it will damage the paint. Unfortunatly, there is no way to let it work without constantly re-applying it and letting it set. Super-glued parts are a no win situation because it's almost impossible to get them apart or remove them. I had to buy two ERTL Cord 812's just for this reason. Good luck. In a case like this it's almost easier to break the part and then try to repair it. What kind of a part is it?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part is the headlight assembly on the top of the fender of a 1939 Chevrolet. I put it on and it shifted out of place on me. Now it is bonded on too tightly to remove without tearing it up.

G

·
You could try nail polish remover, but do so very carefully as it can remove paint and or decals.

What I would do is try to get some around the edge by using the tip of an exacto blade. It might take a bit to get enough in there to release it, but it will work. :cheers

At least it does for unsticking fingers.(personal experience :giggle )

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard of using a very thin wire to cut plastic. Do you think this might work without leaving too big a kerf ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts