DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a place where I can get decals to convert a Hot Wheels 333SP into a Le Mans livery and/or to convert an Exoto Sauber C9 into the #63 Le Mans winner?

Reason I'm asking is cause Hot Wheels doesn't make an LM 333SP and I only collect Le Mans racers, and the Exoto is obvious reason (#63 is too rare and too expensive).

I'm good with decals so I wouldn't mind doing a lot of decal work, but I need to know if these exist and where I can buy them, thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Yes - also a transkit to improve the cockpit and rear wing mounting. Several IMSA and LeMans liveries in decals available from Pattos Place. The transkit is from tremonia.org.
Also decals from another manufacturer at scuderiamodelli.com including Giesse, Toshiba, Ericsson and Pilot. Same place has the rear bodywork to make a longtail version I got "Scandia" decals a while back on Ebay and I'm thinking about getting a set of the Giesse livery. There is also a Giesse transkit with wheel centers that I've seen on Ebay. The "Momo" Daytona and "Scandia" Sebring winners are on Ebay right now.
Also, you know that Hot Wheels are doing an "Olive Garden" livery later this year along with an Elite plain body?

Edit: pattosplace has a sheet for the Sauber C9.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I think the Olive Garden livery was an IMSA/ALMS livery, only in the States These pictures are from both Atlanta and Daytona.

If you are modding a Hot Wheels 333SP, you might look into a feature I tried:

Of course, the purists will say that I should re-profile the rear wing, etc., but my collection (and skills at customs) isn't like that.

Good Luck on your project, let's see some pics when you get done!

:cheers

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like a straightforward conversion (for me anyway).

The problem is in finding the Exoto Sauber to convert. I don't currently have the regular works car or the #61 or #62, and I don't think it's going to be easy to find one. :sos

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I am with you on this one, Jim.
Not sure that I possess the skills or even the desire to make the changes needed to create an "authentic" Momo car. I think the decals alone would suffice for me.
This thread reminds me that I need to order some decals.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With Exoto's 50% off sale, I could get the Sauber #61 for about 150 bucks. Is there decals to convert it to #63?

G

·
Ian and Sue at La PAssione are great to deal with and they've got 3 1/18 333SP decal kits.

La Passione

The Royal Purple/Scandia and Lista sets are for 97' and 99' Sebring 12Hrs and the MOMO set is for the 98' Daytona 24Hrs.

I know they're not for the LM24, but I thought someone else might be looking as well.

I believe Hot Wheels also made decals for the 1998 LM24 "Toshiba" 333SP, as seen on this converted 333SP.

:cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've done a conversion with Patto's decals to make the #62 car; the print quality is not 100% perfect, the yellow on the decal sheet does not match the Exoto color prefectly,the number font are slightly larger than the Exoto size, so it's matter of how fussy you are. For 2' away they all the same, but up close you can tell the difference if you are looking for it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Why do that and take a chance on the originals bleeding through? You wouldn't know if the new ones were really opaque until you'd put them over the old ones and then you'd be stuck so why not do it properly to begin with? :dizzy

Don't forget you'll have to paint the splitter in the nose too.

As tempted as I am to add #63 to my collection I think I may go for the "AEG" car instead. Tough call as I've always wanted the "Kouros" car - back then every cologne counter that sold YSL products had a model of the Sauber sitting there as part of their Kouros display and that has kind of stuck with me but the AEG probably wins for me 'cause I've met Johansson and had a very nice chat with him. Decisions, decisions... :confused

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mustang SVT: to reply to your question-the #62 car was from a damaged plain prototype, so there was no numbers to cover over. I'm not sure if you could remove the numbers from an Exoto-there might be a clearcoat over them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone know of a currently available (2015) #63 transkit for the Sauber c9? I checked all in this 2007 thread to no avail...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts