DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Mattel bought the whole operation. They didn't buy any inventory, they just have the rights to produce all the same models and will likely do so.

Justin

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Why so? They produce cheap cars. What's wrong with that? They're doing what Bburago did in the 1980's, and they are the entrance to the hobby to many people.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thats true that they produce cheap cars... but in my opinion Maisto generally produces better quality releases than Hot Wheels at a cheaper price. I would rather have a Maisto Ferrari than a Hot Wheels Ferrari in general.

I just wish they didn't take all the Ferrari action :lol

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
They're not only a collector's entry level model company, but they also make some old classic Ferraris for which there is likely not a big enough market to justify some other company to make a more expensive model, even if they could. Or, it would have to be so detailed and therefor expensive as to price it beyond the reach of most of us. For example take the 166 Barchetta. While not the first Ferrari, it is the oldest model in existence. I am probably one of the very few members who have one even though it only costs $30 ( and probably doesn't even justify that price in terms of quality). However, I can't see AUTOart or Kyosha producing it because it would have a tough time selling 10,000 copies. I could see someone like Exoto or CMC doing it but then they would have to sell it for $200+ ( just as CMC is doing with the '24 MB Targa Florio ).

So, Hot Wheels is doing at least two good things: they offer a decent entry level product and they produce some Ferraris that perhaps no one else would. :mine

G

·
I believe Ertl bought the molds for Beanstalk's first releases, the James Bond models. The rest, as Justin said, went to Mattel, including the mold for the Ford Shelby Cobra Concept, which came out as a darn nice Mattel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts