DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just received my 1/18 Autoart BMW Z8 yesterday, and I literally spent 30 minutes comparing it side-by-side against my budget model 1/18 Maisto Z8 that I purchased back in 2001. Which got me thinking, how many 1/18 or larger doubles do you or did you have of a particular model in which one of them is a budget model (Maisto, Bburago, etc) and the other is a quality model (Autoart, Kyosho, etc)? You don't have to currently still have both. For me, I usually sell the budget version 2-3 months after recieving my upgrade. I never sell the budget version before receiving the upgrade because I atleast want to compare it side-by-side in person before I sell it off. Here's my list:
  • 1/18 BMW Z8 - Maisto and Autoart
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Gallardo - Maisto and Autoart
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera - Maisto and Autoart (sold the Maisto)
  • 1/18 Porsche Carrera GT - Maisto and Minichamps
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Reventon - Bburago and Autoart (sold the Bburago)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Countach 5000QV - Bbuargo and Autoart (sold the Bburago)
  • 1/18 Ferrari F40 - Bbuargo and Hot Wheels Elite (sold the Bburago)
  • 1/18 Porsche 911 GT3 (996) - Hot Wheels Foundation and Autoart
  • 1/18 Ferrari 430 Scuderia - Hot Wheels Foundation and Hot Wheels Elite (gave away the Fondation to Ex)
  • 1/18 Ferrari F50 - Hot Wheels Foundation and Hot Wheels Elite (sold the Foundation)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Diablo GTR - Hot Wheels Foundation and Autoart
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Murcielago - Hot Wheels Foundation and Autoart (sold the Foundation)
Furthermore, what other budget models do you currently have that you plan on "upgrading" in the near future? For me, I plan on upgrading my Maisto McLaren F1 to the Autoart, my Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari F40 to the Kyosho, and my Hot Wheels Elite 250GTO to the Kyosho version.

·
John
586 Posts
Good topic, I have almost about the same list as yours except for the z8. I had the z4 by maisto and once I received the kyosho, I stayed with maisto. Same with slr mercedes I pick maisto over cmc. I don't plan on doing any more upgrades. The last one I did was the mclaren.

G

·
I have little to nothing... If I see an announcement from AUTOart, Kyosho or Minichamps I usually sell my budget well in advance of their release.

·
Administrator
34,189 Posts
Good thread, I buck the trend, I only buy one car from a maker, if I really like the car I try to find the best one possible for a price I like, if it's too expensive I go without until I get it for a nice price (I'm talking about the usual makers, I don't do top end stuff unless it's a bargain)

·
Super Moderator
5,661 Posts
Ferrari F50 - had the Maisto and Hot Wheels, but they both had bad stance, so got the Bburago instead at a cheaper price.
Ferrari FXX - had red basic from Mattel, gave it to my friend and then bought the two-tone blue Elite.
Lamborghini Diablo SV - had black from Maisto, but it did not look like the 1:1 Diablo SV, so I got the blue Welly to replace. Same price, but much better.

Those are the only ones. I don't like doing that, unless the model is so bad that it doesn't look like the 1:1, I'm happy with budget models. I'd much rather buy a model of a car that is not in my collection already.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
I've been collecting since the early '80's...so I have quite a few.
  • 1/18 Audi R8 - Maisto and Kyosho (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 BMW Z8 - Maisto and Kyosho DE (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 BMW Z3 M Roadster - BB and UT (displayed the BB at work)
  • 1/18 Honda S2000 - Maisto and AUTOart (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 Dodge Viper (2nd gen) - Maisto and AUTOart (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 Corvette C5 Z06 - Maisto and AUTOart (displayed the Hot Wheels at work)
  • 1/18 Corvette C6 Coupe - Hot Wheels and AUTOart (displayed the Hot Wheels at work)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Countach - Polistil and Kyosho (displayed the Polistil at work)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Miura - Anson and Kyosho (gave the Anson to a neighbor kid)
  • 1/18 Ferrari F40 - Bbuargo, Hot Wheels Elite & Kyosho (gave the BB to a neighbor kid when I got the HWE. Then displayed the HWE at work when I got the Kyosho)
  • 1/18 Ferrari 288GTO - Polistil & Hot Wheels (haven't done anything with the Polistil...my Hot Wheels isn't even an Elite, but its still 10x better than the Polistil)
  • 1/18 Ferrari 250GT California Spyder - Polistil & HWE (will give the Polistil to a neighbor)
  • 1/18 Ferrari 166MM - Hot Wheels & HWE (sold the non-Elite)
  • 1/18 Ferrari 250GTO - BB & Kyosho (displayed the BB at work)
  • 1/18 Ferrari 550 Maranello - Maisto & Hot Wheels (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 Porsche 911 GT3 (996) - Hot Wheels Foundation and Autoart (displayed the Hot Wheels at work)
  • 1/18 Porsche 356B Coupe - BB and Ricko (will give the BB to a neighbor)
  • 1/18 Mini Cooper (original) - Solido and Kyosho (still have both)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Diablo GTR - Hot Wheels Foundation and Autoart (converted the Hot Wheels to a fantasy racer)
  • 1/18 Lamborghini Murcielago - Maisto and Autoart (displayed the Maisto at work)
  • 1/18 Shelby Cobra 427 - YM and Kyosho (will display the YM at work)
I'd like to upgrade my Maisto Carrera GT to the Minichamps.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Right now, the only double I have left is the UT and Autoart silver McLaren F1's. Even when looking at them side by side, I still can't part with the UT. It really aged well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have two doubles -

The first is the Nismo 350Z. I purchased the Maisto version for $10 as I didn't think it was worth paying close to $100 for the Autoart, but then I found the Autoart for $45 so I snapped it up. The Autoart is miles better, especially the wheels, but in isolation I was quite happy with the Maisto. I intend to keep it, and might use it for a mod project if I ever get around to it. Otherwise I will probably pass on to my eldest son when he is a bit older and less likely to use it for crashes :)

The second is the Countach LP500S. I bought a black Bburago for $10, and it is kind of OK seen on its own from a distance, but up close it is quite noticeably out of proportion. I recently bought a red Kyosho for $100 and it is much much better. While technically it also has faults in its roof line, wheel offset and ride height, it just looks "right". I did consider the Autoart as it is probably more accurate, but in the end I chose the Kyosho. I don't think it is worth upgrading again when Autoart rereleases its verison, except maybe if I was worrying about Kyoshos paint problems developing in the future. I keep the Bburago at work now as it doesn't matter to me if it gets damaged or stolen :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Now I only buy high end Modelcars , but I have a few Budget models in the past that I replaced them with AUTOart ,Ky or Minichamps :

-Porsche 911 997 GT2 : from Norev to AUTOart ...
-Porsche 911 996 GT3 Facelift : HotWheels to AUTOart ,sold the Hot Wheels after finding the AUTOart (FINALLY !!! )
-Porsche 911 930 Turbo 3.0l and 3.3l : from Norev to AUTOart ( kept the Norev 3.0l and turned it into a 3.0 RS ! ;) ) , took the AUTOart after their release this year .
-Lamborghini Diablo VT (1993 ) : from Bburago to AUTOart , I have the AUTOart GTR, 6.0 VT and the SV but couldn´t find any AUTOart VT but once I found it , I sold the Bburago .
-Lamborghini Reventon : from Mondo Motors to AUTOart : the Mondo motors appeared more than a year before the AUTOart ,so took the MM immediately after its release and then sold it after getting the AUTOart..
-BMW Z8 :from Welly to Kyosho : sold the Welly 1 year before getting the Kyosho ,I just figured out that I need ta 1:18 Z3 in my collection , took the Bond Kyosho over the AUTOart because I think it´s much more accurate (especially the Headlights )...

So I usually sell my bugget models immediately after getting the High End ones. ..

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Usually just buy one version, whether this means that I have to wait for a certain model from a manufacturer, I'll wait. Got one or two buget model that I pleased with but I just don't like buying mulitplus of a certain car unless it a different livery that is. I really don't understand why people buy every version of one car from each manufacturer but that just me and my opinion

·
Registered
614 Posts
Usually just buy one version, whether this means that I have to wait for a certain model from a manufacturer, I'll wait. Got one or two buget model that I pleased with but I just don't like buying mulitplus of a certain car unless it a different livery that is. I really don't understand why people buy every version of one car from each manufacturer but that just me and my opinion
I can see the appeal. I owned both the Minichamps and Autoart versions of the Carrera GT. The reason I got the Autoart was because the Minichamps model's shape is not quite as close to the real car as the Autoart, nor is the braking detail correct (the revised Autoart is), but the Minichamps model offered other things that the Autoart didn't, like the textured seats, whereas the Autoart looks a bit too obvious as plastic, and has a more detailed engine bay with the working suspension parts.

OK, these are minor things and obviously not for everyone since this means paying a lot of money for essentially the same car, but I admit, it's fun to have different representations of the same model. If/when Minichamps releases their own McLaren F1 road car, I do intend to get one, despite owning an Autoart, because I'm silly like that :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
-BMW Z8 :from Welly to Kyosho : sold the Welly 1 year before getting the Kyosho ,I just figured out that I need ta 1:18 Z3 in my collection , took the Bond Kyosho over the AUTOart because I think it´s much more accurate (especially the Headlights )...
I bought the silver Kyosho Z8 (with the red and black interior) when it first came out, but when Autoart finally released their own, it had some notable advantages over the Kyo model. The headlights are a bit too big on the AUTOart, as well as not being as closely shaped as the 1:1, but everything else is much truer to the actual car than Kyosho's model. The wheels were not molded correctly, and the brake detailing was inferior, whereas AUTOart's looked exactly as the actual car's, and had the separate calipers and actual metallic discs. The panel seam at the lower part of the bumper is non-existent on the Kyosho. Now don't get me wrong, the Kyosho Z8 is still a beautiful model, but in terms of accuracy, the Autoart model is a better representation of the subject.

[/quote]
you´re right about the Details on the AUTOart .. and the AUTOart came some time after the Kyosho , too ... but I feel that the Shape of the Kyosho is better ... that bring us back to the Subject : Details Vs. Accuracy : KY have the Accuracy and AUTOart the Details .. :) but both are great ! :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me, I happen to have doubles because the budget model is from when I was still in high school (age 15-18). Back in high school, $20 was a lot of money because I only made $40 USD per week from working. So quality models like Autoart or Kyosho was out of the question. And when I was young, I never cared about quality - if I felt that I needed a 1/18 Murcielago in my collection, any model will fulfill my needs. When I got older (around age 25), I suddenly had an appreciation for "quality" things - which led me to upgrading all of my favorite models.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well i got a question about quality vs price. I've been wanting a Mclaren F1 for sometime, but a lot of the higher end ones are our of my price range, I have seen some older Maisto versions on Ebay for a lot less in price, whats the biggest difference in the Maisto version and say AUTOart besides the obvious opening panels and luggage?

·
Administrator
34,189 Posts
Get a UT over a Maisto one! The Maisto is no where near as good, especially the interior.

Also, don't pay too much for a UT one, some sellers are asking a lot of money, but they aren't worth loads, also the rarer the colour the better, Silver is very common, Green or Grey is harder to get etc.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Nice one...I just took a look at my collection and took a picture of all the doubles I had...

Photos say more than words

1931 SSKL #87 : Bburago vs CMC

1954 300SL Gullwing : Bburago vs Minichamps

1955 300SLR Uhlenhaut : Maisto vs CMC

1968 280SE Cabrio : Maisto vs Norev

1966 600 Pullman : Sunstar vs AutoArt

1977 350SL/450SL : Sunstar vs CMC

1997 600SL : Revell vs AutoArt

2001 SL class : Maisto vs Minichamps

2002 SLR McLaren : Maisto vs CMC

2004 SLK : Maisto vs Minichamps

2009 SL550 : Maisto vs Minichamps