DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
I often venture on some Aircraft Forums to see some of the great displays they have. To describe some of those setups as great would be an understatement.

I thought long and hard about going that route shortly after collecting, deciding not was prolly the best thing I could hae done :giggle

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Nice Odin, I would love a nice diecast of a Spitfire & the Red Barons Tri plane.

I do not know much about planes, but have to admit some of the diecast ones are very nice.

:cheers

G

·
Superb airport layouts. Has anyone got any idea which scale the airport diorama on the diecastaircraftforum is in? I could spend many a happy hour playing with this :lol

I have a very keen interest in civil aviation (i spent most of my computer time in 2001/2002 on airliners.net) but i don't think that i'd want to collect aircraft, even if i did all the room has been taken up by AAs and Kyoshos!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have 5 different Airtours model aircraft that I bought on the way back from Florida a few years ago, and they are pretty cool..

The layouts on the DAC site are very nice..

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I sure did not need to see this post! :box I am trying to give up 1/18 airplanes, but yesterday I found two different ME-109 for $19.00 at WM and I have a P-51 Mustang and a Spitfire MK-I comming from a Pub member. :ranting
Also, do not ask for pic as I have not figured how to surprise my wife with my addiction.

Thanks for the link. :giggle

G

·
Great pics DanielB!
You're lucky being able to get to LHR to see the wide range of airlines and airliners, especially the BA 744 (don't fly outside London). I actually saw the Syrian 747SP you pictured, at MAN in september, i got very excited!
My local airports are BHX and NEMA, but all you can see there is low-fare operators. There is a couple of PIA and EK flights (BHX), and frequent widebody cargo ops (NEMA), but nothing to get worked up about!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Stansted and North Weald are my locals. LHR is ace though - so much heavy traffic and such good variety. Got a Tu-154 when I was last there (photo on the link).

Military is the best stuff though - got some pics of Harriers in the screening queue from RAF Cottesmore.

G

·
I've not seen a TU-154 for donkeys years. The last one i saw was a Russian charter in Larnaca (LCA), although i think one visited MAN regularly in the summer (Balkan charter). I did see an IL-86 doing a power back at LHR before, it was an awesome sound!
The odd Antanov cargo gets into Nottingham EastMidlands (NEMA), but as of yet no An-225!!!

Isn't Stanstead full of LCCs (low cost carriers)? The 737-200/300/500/700 are good aircraft, but there is only so much you can take! I'm sick of seeing FR (Ryanair) everywhere!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeh, Stansted is indeed a low cost hub. I like Ryanairs scheme though, so I don't mind that.

STN gets Russian stuff too - the AN-124 is fairly regular, and there were several visits last year from the AN-22!

G

·
Never seen an An-22 in the flesh DanielB. Who normally operates it to STN?

I've just remembered that a couple of months ago, two RAF VC10s flew in formation right over my house. Couldn't have been much higher than 5000 feet (can't remember my FLs). Very rare sight and sound and the first and only time i've heard this classic.

I'm not really into military aviation. Having said this I enjoy the large jets and props they use - C-130, Galaxy, 707 variants, Nimrod and of course VC10s. The old V-bombers are also interesting.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Man that is a cool airport :rockon
Speaking of very large transports C-5 Galaxys fly over here all the time. The local AFB (Travis AFB) has quite a few of them. Also I have seen a An-124 in person. It was at a distance though. One year when we flew to Mississippi (where my parents are from) we had to change planes in Houston, Texas and there I saw a An-124 parked away from the terminals. Man was it huge. It made the MD80 we were in seem so tiny :WTF

·
Registered
474 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
It's normally the Antanov Design Bureau example (which I believe is the only flying example left - at least it's the only one in civil hands still flying I think). Photo here.

It was in last summer - it stopped over after picking up 2 Lynx Helicopters for the Oman Air Force from Yeovilton.

Don't get any military traffic round these part, apart from Helos from Wattisham (Lynx, Gazelles and sometimes Chinooks. Also get the Queens Birthday flypasts going right overhead as I'm right under their route to Buckingham Palace. VC-10s are ace though - would love to spend a day at Brize watching the C-17s, VC-10s and Tristars.

G

·
DanielB - thanks for the photo link!
A mate of mine works at Brize Norton on the airframes of the VC10 and L1011s (i think he still works on them). The Tristar is another aircraft I have not seen in a long time. I flew on Caledonian in 1993. Fantastic aircraft, and an excellent flight. The only three holers (airliners) i've seen in the past few years are MyTravel and Air Transat DC10s (these may have gone now); and i think that i saw a Nomads 727 at Birmingham last year.
You are lucky to have so much variety flying over your house. Most of the time all I get is ERJ 145s and BAE 146s, i don't even get many 737s. Every now and then you get the odd JFK bound PIA A310, or as just before Christmas a Continental 767-200ER, but more often than not its quite boring! On a clear winters day you can spot the trans-atlantic traffic passing high overhead, buts its too high to make out the airlines, even with a decent pair of binoculars.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
My office window faces the approach route to (depending on the wind) AIH (Houston Bush) and I always stop what I an doing to watch the AN-124 approach landing. I agree those things are huge. There were 3 that were owned by a cargo company that parked them there. It was a sight to see them parked side-by-side. I have not seen them lately.
Al

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.