DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is safe in the long run to display your diecast out near an open window. I'm planning to get an anti ultraviolet glass/acryllic case to display my 1:12 F50 as the center piece of my office and wonder if pulling it out of the closet would be the right thing to do.

I have heard that sunlight could destroy the paint and break down the rubber tires so I'm pretty worried but it would be a waste to have a beautiful diecast car and not have it displayed for all to see, yes?

:feedback

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would definitetly keep my cars out of direct sunlight. Have'nt seen what can happen, but it can't be good. :confused Keeping them covered(dust free), out of direct sunlight, and away from temperature extremes, is just as important. But again, this is my opinion. So, yes, display your car!
.........Lance :cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I had a model like that, I personally wouldn't. (Unfortunately, I don't have that dilemma. :crying) If you're on a ground floor, might want to worry about someone breaking the window and grabbing it. I don't seen any problem in putting it out once in awhile, or during the non-summer months. A good coat of wax might help too; some of the newer polymer waxes are supposed to help in this regard. But really, the window and case should do a decent enough job. If in doubt, better to play it safe than sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm planning to put some protective wax on the model and put it a bit out of line of direct sunlight. I'm a bit worried though as my office is very bright with lots of sunlight going through the windows.

Any type of anti UV waxes you folks can recommend?

Anyway, thanks for the reply guys!

:cheers :thanks

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Hi Cabbie!
Its been a while, good to see you post :cheers

I am fairly certain that the paint used by diecast makers does not have the same uv protection built into it that the regular (1:1) car makers use.
I have seen some very faded looking diecasts.
Plus, the interaction of sun on the various rubber, plastic and who knows what in a diecast to not sound like a great mix.
Especially on such an expensive one.

Is there a way you can put uv protection on the window by the use of some film?

Thw windows that I sell in my business have the UV protection built right into the glass.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Max Power said:
Hi Cabbie!
Its been a while, good to see you post :cheers

I am fairly certain that the paint used by diecast makers does not have the same uv protection built into it that the regular (1:1) car makers use.
I have seen some very faded looking diecasts.
Plus, the interaction of sun on the various rubber, plastic and who knows what in a diecast to not sound like a great mix.
Especially on such an expensive one.

Is there a way you can put uv protection on the window by the use of some film?

Thw windows that I sell in my business have the UV protection built right into the glass.
Jeff has some very important points there. Though a lot of UV radiation is blocked out even by normal glass, you still have to worry about the heat factor, which can damage some parts, specially rubber and decals. I definitively wouldn't put a model in direct sun light, even it it's encased in glass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Max glad to be back :)

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm not really going to put my Tamiya F50 into direct sunlight. Its just that my office is so bright and has lots of windows. I really wanted to display this baby in my office but worried that even if not directly exposed to direct sunlight (and even enclosed in a UV case) over time the exposure could do harm to my lovely model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts