DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What skills do you guys think it takes that makes people a good diecast collector? In my opinion, it takes money managing for the most part and knowing where to buy your goods.
Money managing is the reason why I won't be buying for a while. (Don't have a job YET, so only get 50 bucks a month.) I traded in some things and got some good cash, and before I knew it it was all gone. I do not regret it though, because for 123 bucks Bernard has sent me 2 beautiful Porsche GT1's which I don't have memory to take pics with. I also just spent $151 on my first Exoto (can't tell you which one its a secret). I don't regret that either. But today I just got $250 from my grandparents for my vacation, which will be saved up to buy the Xbox 360, and items to go along with it. So I won't be getting any new ones probably until Christmas hopefully. But once I get a job, you can count on my collection rapidly growing. I'm pretty sure you guys are better at managing money then me.....hopefully :shipwrecked

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Well, collecting diecasts isn't a race. I'm sure when you can't buy them as quickly as you'd like, you end up cherishing each one that much more. You're still young and have the best years of your life ahead of you. So if you have your priorities in life set right, you'll be in a better position later. And you'll likely have more money available for the things you love in life.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
when i first started, i didn't have a proper job yet. (in the army)
My allowance from the army was very little, not enough to buy much diecast. So i started off very slowly. Even sold off a few cars when i needed the $$$. But the army, got a job and started buyng more diecast. It doesn't matter how many cars you buy, as long as you still enjoy the hobby.

Hope you get a good job in the future :)

G

·
That's all very nice ...but wait till you get marry... :fence that's another story...Don't get me started! :giggle

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sure, money management is important as it is with all things in life. You have to establish prioities and realize that collecting diecasts is a luxury. Buy what you like, but don't go hungrey for it! It really isn't that important at this stage of your life. Having enough money for your education and making investments in yourself is far more important than collecting "toys".

Good Luck!

G

·
I think collecting requires more patience than skill. And lot of times that patience is based on preference.

I do agree, this hobby can put a strain on disposable income.

I have had a monthly budget for my collecting pretty much since the very beginning. I very rarely exceed the monthly budget and if I do go over, I take it out the next months budget.

So try setting yourself a budget and see how that does.

Heres another helpful topic on this...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good technique Darrick. I will definetly follow that when my collection starts up again. I should have a job in the next month or 2, and my budget per month will end up probably 20-100 dollars. And the rest towards gas, games, and in the account for later.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If collecting diecasts is a race then I am loosing badly. I have only gotten 3 diecasts this year :lol
Yes, it hurts a lot :help:

G

·
You will do OK to get them when you can I have got to the point of there's no room to store them I need a bigger house or get rid of some of them (Ha Ha) they get stuffed into two rooms now it's all fun. :tease

G

·
Hey Nick, glad to see you posting again.

As skills, it is very difficult to say. Important things are

keep it realistic,
priorities,
money management,
keep to a theme/s,
patience.

Dont go setting your theme without good knowledge about what you are going into. Dont go collecting GT2 racers by UT for example. You will never achieve your goal. Even worse, you will spend a good load of money and never actually be satisfied cause it will stay incomplete for a lot of time.

Once you have found a realistic goal for your collection, list all the cars you wish and prioritise them. Get some information about them in the world market and start writing whihc are the most important to you to have. Some cars are more important than others, so you should focus yourself more on them than on others. This is because money, for us young collectors, is a bit difficult to have a lot. And that brings me to the next point....

Money management is one of the most important factors. Study well the opportunities before making a purchase. Some mode from a far far away land with enormous shipping might be cheaper than the one lying in a store nearby. Furthermore, as people already said. Do a monthly budget. Say 100$ each month. Dont go blowing 1000$ saying that you will not spend for 10 months.... it wont work. Another thing... always keep some $$ at hand for real bargains. You might find an extremely good bargain of something you want but.... you've got no cash in your pockets and so you loose it.

Something important aswell is to stick by a theme. Say, modern supercars. So dont do like Mr nutkick and start with JDMs and end up with cars from all possible countries :giggle At the end, you may 'complete' that theme. That feeling is beautiful.

Last but not least.... be patient. Know the market. A model might look like a bargain but it might be not. Ask around here. You are lucky to have come at DX at an early stage of your collecting. Ask people who might know better and you might get an even sweeter deal.

There are more things to say, but I am sure this is enough for now.

Goodluck Nick on your collecting, and remember, this is just a hobby. You dont NEED to have them. Concentrate on your personal life right now. Mostly on future work (wage). You will see how can that improve this hobby then. :giggle

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great to hear some of your opinions. Thanks Bernard, you show alot of strong facts that I agree with.
I will be able to get back in the gaming hobby, when the new system comes out because my Xbox 1 blew in a powersurge last week which I didn't play anyway, same with my computer so I'm using the family one. So I definetly won't be on here AS often, but I'll still visit probably around 5 times a week. And will be searching for some cheap ones to keep my Exotic and Muscle car collection growing (which will never end but turm sone heads when people visit).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts