A chance to own a scale model of my actual car.10.75%
Scale models will be the closest to me owning the real thing.2619.40%
Enjoyment of displaying a scale model of a historic 1:1.2317.16%
Passion for 1:1 models, attracted me to scale models.8059.70%
Nothing better to spend my money on.42.99%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I sometimes often but not enough, sit around and look over my models. On occasion I'll pull one off display and sit it on the desk while I'm working looking over it throughout the day, usually finding something that I didn't notice beforehand.

Just looking at some of my models today, it dawned on me, what do I get out of collecting most. I really don't know 100%, I do know that I enjoy 1:1 autos and bikes very much, so its a natural attraction to be drawn to scale models.

When I first started collecting, I initially thought it was cool to have a scale model of what was parked in the driveway. Then I started noticing all the models, that would never be parked in the driveway :lol

Now that I've learned a lot about the hobby and in some cases, the history of the 1:1 car, and have a better understanding on some of the models, brands and quality. :cheers

Now that I've learned about the models brand and quality levels and some cases the history of the 1:1 car itself, I am able to enjoy my models a lot more now. :cool

So for me, I get a couple of things out of this hobby. Replicas of some of the best and exciting cars that has ever drivien on the streets or track and a superb history lesson every now and then. I also get a big smile filled with joy and pride as I look at my cabinets throughout the day. :tongue

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
For me, it's part being able to own a car I will probably never ever get to see in real life, and part is having passion for the real things.

I have a question, do any of you ever make vroom-vroom sounds while holding your cars? I've caught myself doing this many times! :lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
FordGT said:
For me, it's part being able to own a car I will probably never ever get to see in real life, and part is having passion for the real things.
:iagree :iagree
Pretty much word for word...

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I've always loved miniature replicas of many things. I love models that challenge me to find the most minute of detail that the artist had incorporated. Things that I could stare for hours on end at include model train dioramas, sailing warships/galleons, aircraft, cars, etc.

That coupled with my passion for autoracing has netted me a growing collection of 1:18 racers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
StygianMax said:
I've always loved miniature replicas of many things. I love models that challenge me to find the most minute of detail that the artist had incorporated. Things that I could stare for hours on end at include model train dioramas, sailing warships/galleons, aircraft, cars, etc.

That coupled with my passion for autoracing has netted me a growing collection of 1:18 racers.
:iagree I can really relate to that! :iagree

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have loved cars everysince I can remember. Im obsessed with them. Everyone I know, I know them by their car. The first thing I remember watching on TV as a youngin (3-4 yrs) was good old fashion quality turbo charged 80's Formula 1. I was born in love with cars. I think that collecting them exposes me to a different world of cars that I wouldnt be able to access in real life. Plus I love alot of different cars and one is never enough, so I have to collect them to make up for not being able to afford them all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Simply put, I've just been a car freak all of my life. I remember helping my dad work on the old Capris and Mustangs we always had around the house. Whether it was slot cars, Matchbox, Tonkas, whatever, I always messed around with the little cars too, built 1:24 plastic kits, I used to draw cars all the time as well. I've loved restoring cars that I've had, '69 Bronco, '67 Mustang drop top, '79 MGB, etc, etc. My love of all things motorized drove me to my degree...Mechanical Engineering, which of course has nothing to do with my current line of work.

In particular, my passion for Ferraris drove me into 1:18. It brings a smile to my face to look around my home office with the cars everywhere. Particularly, the F1 cars right now, which just beg me to drive 'em around the desk. Usually, as I buy a new one, I'll go through some of my Ferrari books to look up the history of the car. And eventually, once I get adventurous, I'll start buying and modifying some older Ferraris into a replica of a famous racer, 250 GTO, 250 SWB, etc.

I'm just a caraholic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would guess to say that most collectors have some love of 1:1 in one fashion or another. :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Like the rest of you, I have always liked cars and racing.
I have models of all types of car that I would love to own and many of cars I admire but would never want to own.
I enjoy looking at them and learning about them but I also enjoy interacting with everyone here about them.
I do not know anyone that lives near me that really "Gets it" about collecting diecast and understands the addiction that all of us here feel.
Very often I will take a couple of models into the family room and sit at the table with a couple of models and a book about them and before I know it, a couple of hours has passed :lol
I am sure many of you will understand this.

Its the same thing coming on DX. I will come on just to run through the posts and end up seeing 2 hours have passed :confused

So for me its just not collecting cars anymore as diecast and DX have become one.
So on top of the cool models I have some great frienships to go along with them.

Who could want for anything more :nicejob

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
A passion for 1:1 cars is my answer! But the enjoyment of displaying a model of a historic 1:1 is a close second for me!!! :cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
FordGT said:

I have a question, do any of you ever make vroom-vroom sounds while holding your cars? I've caught myself doing this many times! :lol
Its a guy thing! :lol :lol
I also have a passion for the 1:1 cars. It started when I was in 3rd grade and really started noticing cars. My first favorite was the Corvette. I also like having a replica of a car that I'll probably never be able to afford. Besides the insurance is cheap & very low maint. costs! :lol :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good questions!

After I read your question, I cranked up my brain to search for an answer. Is my collection inspired by 1:1s I truthly love? Not really. Is it because I really want certain cars and I fulfill my dream with 1:18s? Not exactly. Is it because I enjoy an array of 1:18s in my display cases? Err.... maybe. Is it because I own an really cool 1:1 and I want an 1:18 to go with it? Absolutely not. So, what am I getting out of this hobby? I am not too sure. I could not put my finger on it. Maybe I love cars? Maybe I love the feeling of touching the smooth paint job on cars or models? I guess my reaction will be the same if you ask me why do I love cars. Perhaps, most will have to same reaction if you ask them, why do you love the person you love the most in your life? :cheers

1 - 20 of 55 Posts