DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All! A long-time friend of mine reached out to me recently to ask if I could find a 1:18 diecast model as her boss's retirement gift. The idea is to represent his deceased son's (fallen war hero) former car which was a red 1990 Ford Mustang GT. I advised her that would be a tough one as that generation wasn't replicated much. I only know of the GMP dark red/grey version and the red 1993 Cobra; both of which are hard to find and rather pricey. The 1993 red Cobra would be close enough, but I don't believe she's willing to spend the $400+ to acquire it. Does anyone know of other options? I'd like to stay in the 1:18 scale but would be willing to go down to 1:43 and maybe do a shadow box wall hanging or something along those lines. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's a very thoughtful gift. However, as you already know, GMP was the only one that made the Fox body Mustang in 1/18 and due to limited runs can command quite the premium. GMP is releasing more versions of it later this year/next year including a red GT convertible and LX notchback.

If those don't fit the bill Greenlight released it in 1/64. A red 87 GT was released as a tie-in for the movie Ghost, but they seem rare and likely released years ago. There is an 89 GT in scarlet/silver which is recent and readily available though it may not fit the bill. Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch, BK1! Yes, I forgot to mention I'm looking for coupe form and not convertible which makes the search even more difficult.

I greatly appreciate the heads-up on the 1:64s. The 1987-1993 GTs are essentially the same car, so I'll sort through them and possibly pull together a shadow box collage. It's not ideal, but I'll play the cards I'm dealt! Thanks again!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Carmodel ACME will (re)-release a 1990 Mustang GT.
It's likely other colours will follow.
ACME-MODELS 18960 Scale 1/18 | FORD USA MUSTANG 5.0 COUPE 1990 BLACK
Thanks for info! I did come across this in my searches prior to posting here, but, unfortunately, it's the standard 5.0 coupe body style and I'm in need of the GT. However, I will be adding this to my personal collection!(y)

I ended up settling for the 1:64 Ghost edition from Greenlight to aid in the shadow box concept (shout out to BK1). Thanks again for you all's help and direction! I'll post pics here once it's all done!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Thanks for info! I did come across this in my searches prior to posting here, but, unfortunately, it's the standard 5.0 coupe body style and I'm in need of the GT. However, I will be adding this to my personal collection!(y)

I ended up settling for the 1:64 Ghost edition from Greenlight to aid in the shadow box concept (shout out to BK1). Thanks again for you all's help and direction! I'll post pics here once it's all done!
You could do worse and contact ACME and ask if any more Fox body versions are planned - and recommend the one you are after.
It doesn't hurt to ask....
I am a fan of the Mustang, but must admit I didn't know the difference between a GT and regular body style.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am a fan of the Mustang, but must admit I didn't know the difference between a GT and regular body style.
Those wanting straight up performance would opt for the LX coupe as it did away with the body kit, hatchback, and some of the additional performance sucking options while retaining the same engine/tyranny combo.

I ended up settling for the 1:64 Ghost edition from Greenlight to aid in the shadow box concept (shout out to BK1). Thanks again for you all's help and direction!
Glad I could help! Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are some 1:24 scale Fox Body models out there if you can dig them up. I don't collect them so I don't pay attention to what exists, but I do recall seeing them quite often and wishing they'd have made them in 1:18.

Condolences to you and your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts