DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I think there are a few folks who have experimented with different settings and lighting sources. Across various posts scattered across the forum, different folks have identified some information related to their photography set-up. I'd like to "batch up" that collective experience/wisdom in one thread so that folks can learn about digicam/lighting basics more effectively. (I find the manual to be only so useful).

Could you share with us what digicam (1) whitebalance setting you use, (2) ASA setting, (3) type of light source(s) and (4) photoeditting procedures such as colour correction/gamma/contrast/intensity/lightness as a result of this your typical set-up?

Thanks in advance. I hope my question set isn't too much of a chore to answer. :cheers
  • By the way, the whitebalance setting I have available on my DC are (and ones I usually use highlighted in red):
    • - WB Auto
      - WB Daylight
      - WB Cloudy
      - WB Tungsten
      - WB Fluorescent
      - WB Fluorescent H
      - WB Flash
      - WB Custom
For myself, my typical set-up:
(1) WB Tungsten and occasionally WB Fluorescent
(2) Halogen lamps (1 floor torchiere aiming skywards, two lamps with articulated arms)
(3) ASA 100
(4) Note: Images have a slight yellow hue that needs correction through photoeditting.

SM said:
I've found the outcome with the same lighting set-up and DC settings can be very different as a result of (1) type of paint/colour of their cars and (2) colour of background as a result of varying reflectivity.

I personally find white cars and black ones to be the most difficult to take pictures of. It's very easy to oversaturate the car with light and overexpose it. The result is to lose the lines and finer details of the car as a result though there are fewer "flare" spots.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
StygianMax said:
Could you share with us what digicam (1) whitebalance setting you use, (2) ASA setting, (3) type of light source(s) and (4) photoeditting procedures such as colour correction/gamma/contrast/intensity/lightness as a result of this your typical set-up?
1) I don't fool with the white balance on-camera. All adjustments are made in Photoshop.

2) ISO 100 setting. On most digicams, anything larger than that will introduce unwanted noise.

3) Light source: daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs illuminating a light 'tent'.

4) Picture editing work flow: Import tiff file from camera; Clean up photo (dust and other imperfections) with clone stamp; Adjust levels with an adjustment layer; Adjust hue/saturation with an adjustment layer; Add unsharp mask in an adjustment layer; Save for web (resize and convert to jpeg); Save tiff file in archive; Open jpeg in PS and add unsharp mask in adjustment layer; Add watermark text layer; Save for web; Upload to web host; Post on DX!

G

·
SM,

Thanks for the write up :cheers

I was thinking that using a ps program would always give pics a better look. :cheers

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
RichardM said:
VR, could you explain what unsharp mask is and what it does? :cheers
Unsharp Mask is a term from traditional photography where you would make a blurred copy of the original photo and an "unsharp" version to use as a mask to create a new photo whose edges appeared sharper.

In Photoshop or similar editing programs, the unsharp mask filter is the preferred way to add sharpness to a photo because it offers the most control over the sharpening process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts