DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had very good luck with diecasts lately . . .

I had to return the Exelero and R-Class I ordered because they had minor imperfections. I got an excellent Maybach replacement, but the retailer accidentally shipped back the original R-Class. At least he offered some compensation in a future purchase.

Then the Weismann Roadster I got had a manufacturer flaw in the steering so the driver's wheel would turn inward with the other wheel. I had the hobby shop return that and get a replacement which came in actually missing a wheel (the box was perfect and the wheel was nowhere to be found!).

Then I had the hobby shop order a Highway 61 Hummer H2 which came in with some scratches in the paint on the driver's door, glue residue in various spots, and a glovebox that wouldn't stay closed. Needless to say, I'm not going to buy any HW61 diecasts in the future.

It has been a very disappointing few weeks. Sometimes these bad spells occur - am I the only one? I often think I'm the only one who gets all the defective cars. Perhaps I'm just too picky.

Ways I feel:

:rant :blowup :pullhair :question

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
One thing I'll say is that you work hard for your money. There's no reason NOT to be "picky" so that you get your money's worth. I certainly would be too. The flaws you described are signifcant enough that warrants getting a replacement or full refund. Hopefully the bad spell is over for you and your fortunes will change for the better. :cheers

G

·
Sorry to hear of your disappointment, however, as you mentioned, it happens.

I'm not sure what is worse, recieving a defective/damaged item or trying to get it resolved.

I don't have any experience with the other brands you mentioned, only Highway 61. I really like a lot of the products they are putting out, particularly at the price point for the quality of model they produce. But it can be hit or miss with them sometimes, fortunately I had more hits than misses.

Could you possibly have your dealer check over the item prior to you taking delivery of it? I know they have pretty good customer relations, try taking it up with them, maybe all is not loss. Such a nice model to have it go to waste.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Wow, that sucks.
But you really shouldn't base the quality of a diecast company just because of one faulty model. My one and only (for now anyway) HW61 model came faultless. Was probably the best $60 I ever spent on a model :giggle
If I got a bad model I would just send it back for a replacement, unless I can easly fix the problem myself. I wouldn't stop buying models from a particular manufacturer just because one was damaged :my2cents

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
That's a serious streak of bad luck. Sorry to hear about it, MED.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That is some bad luck.

You're not alone though. Recently I bought two HTF cars from my wish list - a PMA Mclaren F1 Le Mans winner and the Porsche 917K Le Mans winner - both on Ebay. The McLaren arrived and it was the UT version with the incorrect rear wing, and yesterday the 917 arrived and the seller had taped down the front compartment, so I can't take it off without taking the decals with it.

So instead of adding two HTF\models to my collection, I end up with neither. Not problems from the manufacturer admittedly but definitely a period of disappointment for me nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm going through 2 annoying issues on my latest eBay purchases.

In the first transaction, I bought 2 used Maisto models, and the seller decided to pack the boxes right next to each other without any packing materials. This makes the package long like French bread, very difficult for the delivery people to carry or stack during transit. This seller neglected to hold down the removable hood of a DTM car, which as you can imagine, moved freely to scratch the crap out of the rest of the car. Also, he only used 1 screw to hold the 2nd model to the base. The screw post could not handle the model buy itself, so that broke, and the model was free to move within the box. I contacted the seller 3 times, no replies from him, so I am going through PayPal to resolve this issue.

In the second transaction, I'm still waiting for the model I paid for 3 weeks ago. I contacted him 3 times, in the past week, and I'm left hanging. It's a $70,00 model, so I'm worried about this guy. :pullhair

I so wish I was living near a retail store sometimes so I can do business face to face. . . . I've bought dealer models from the local BMW dealer, and that experience has been great.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
I've had bad spells like that too, but the probs usually aren't as serious as yours. Talking about manufacturer probs, I don't think I've have a perfect diecast in my whole collection.

G

·
Yeah...You are not the only one. I guess as a collector/customer, we've the right to be picky. When I buy a model from a local shop, I always roll the model on a table again and again for minutes like a kid to check for wobbling wheels, with the sale assistant staring in horrid or amusement I don't know.. But I don't care cause I just can't stand wobbling wheels!! And this is only my part one examination...(I'm hopeless)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I finally got my model after a month of waiting wihtout ANY communication from the seller. I don't know how in the world it did, but the UT model was missing 2 of the 3 screws, but it came without damage. I really really HATE sellers who don't pack the models properly!!! I got lucky this time.......... :pullhair

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.