DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I cannot keep it in it's box because of the styrofoam and how it outgasses, but I don't want it to collect dust either. If I put it into a display case, such as an Ertl from Walmart, will it be alright? Also, should I suspend the car in the air, keeping the wheels off the surface? And if so, what kind of material? I hope you guys can help me out! :cheers

And also, where do you guys buy your large, glass door display cases? I think its time to buy one...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you should buy a second and have it encased in carbonite :giggle

I dont think a case from ertl will hurt it, maybe if you could find a small mirror, you could create a mirror bottom and then put the car up on like a small ring of some sort, like maybe about 1/4-1/2 of an inch high and like 2 inch diameter, just to get the tires off the surface if your worried?

I dont have one (yet) but the case alot of people have is the Billie (spelling?) from Ikea.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no Ikea stores around here :pullhair

I'm just concerned because I know the styrofoam will ruin the model if left inside.

G

·
Just wrap the model with several layers of colourless tissue paper and it should be fine in the styrofoam box. This is the approach i've always taken.

:cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Justin, an Ertl box would be fine. If you are worried about the suspension sagging, you could find some small blocks of plastic or wood, that are a bit higher then the undercarriage height, and then use them as a support.

Jim, I wouldn't be very comfortable with tissue paper wrapping the car. I think those kind of fumes may pass throught the tissue paper.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I've had no problems whilst i've been employing this policy LUW (since 2001). However, maybe in a few years time I may think differently, but as of now i'm only speaking from my own experience.

:cheers

G

·
I think the best way to display the GT would be in one of my Billy`s :giggle

Failing that , one of those individual Autoart style cases would work just great . (Havent seen an Ertl one) .

I shouldnt think you would have much problem with the tyres , but if youre worried you could always put a spacer under it :cheers

G

·
I use those display cases for various models.

One thing I noticed is that they do keep the out very well. However, the wheels do get stick while touching the plastic.

I wouldn't describe it as a meltdown process, but the wheels leave marks on the plastic base.

I don't think the suspension would sag if you supported the model with some type of block or something.

But whatever, you do, you have to remove it from the box, how else would you enjoy it :lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew you guys would help me out! :cheers

I think I'll get an Ertl case and then raise it up a bit for the wheels not to touch.

Gary, here is what the Ertl looks like :cheers

They do seem to work very nicely;

G

·
Be sure not to clean the cases with a damp rag ONLY.

Adding chemicals such as windex can cause hazing on them.

But they certainly do the job well.

KB Toys had these on sale for $2.99 sometime ago, I recall buying 20 of them at the time.

G

·
Thanks Justin :cheers

Just about the same as the AUTOart version .

I like that Firebird inside the case too :giggle

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Justin, you could also make some sort of diorama and build a glass top box for it, as I did.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey FordGT, I have my AUTOart GT in my office displayed in one of those cases I bought at Big Lots. They too had them one time for only $2.99. I bought all they had, which was only 8 of them (someone got there before me and took the 3 dozen more they did have). I don't see those cases that cost $25 any better than the caes that cost $5. Check out my pic of my AUTOart GT in my office in its case. It looks quite nice on the shelf. Hope this helps you decide how to display it. in my opinion, its WAY too nice to leave in its box. :cheers

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll definitely have to check Big Lots tommorow! :cheers

BTW, your GT looks great displayed :cheers Such a beautiful car... :hot :happy

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just went and bought two cases at Big Lots, abd have put the GT into one of them. I suspended the car with mini DV tape case, this should be alright, right? No outgassing or anything?

It looks good as it clear and not distracting...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.