DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hello all, this is my first review (and first post as well!) on this forum. Here is a quick review of the model I purchased today. It is a Dodge Viper GTS Coupe in 1/18 by Bburago. I got it from a local hobby shop and this model means a lot to me since I've always been a fan of the Viper in the blue paintjob and have recently really wanted the one by Bburago. I was *very lucky* to find one at the hobby shop I went to, they don't even have Bburago cars the previous times I've been there so. Ok here it goes.

Brakes
Well, brakes, what can I say. This model doesn't really have any brake discs. It's only got some dark plastic parts between the rim and the suspension which is supposed to be a brake disc. It's not really viewable. This model is probably a couple years old. However to me, it's understandable. I didn't buy this model expecting to see detailed brakes or the like, since my Viper RT/10 by Bburago has the same thing.
accuracy=4 detail=3

Engine
The engine is *detailed* I would say. It's no less detailed than any of my other models which are made by Bburago, Hot Wheels and Maisto. It has the V10 engine, with all the cylinders clearly viewable, and it's made in a chrome/metallic finish which to me looks good. May not be the most detailed, but more than good enough for me.
accuracy=8 detail=7

Exterior
The body of the car is fairly accurate. My only other Viper is also made by Bburago so I can't really compare to any models. For me, I just love the car, so I love the model. The car does have flaws, like some of the light glass shield sticking a bit out, the rims and wheels aren't that realistic, the stripe decals aren't that realistic when close-up, etc.. But what can you expect from a Bburago model. Again, the car is MORE than good enough for me so it'll more than do.
accuracy=8 detail=6

Interior
The interior is what you expect from a Bburago model. It's got the cool racing seatbelts, and the dashboard is exactly like a real Viper. It's only decals put in, and it may not look realistic, but it's got everything that a real Viper has at least, and that's all that that matters to me. Everything is obviously made of cheap plastic, but again it's more than good enough for me.
accuracy=9 detail=6

Paint
The paintjob seems fine to me. I don't have any expensive cars to compare it to so.. It doesn't seem as good as the red on my Hot Wheels Ferraris in terms of quality, but it's good enough.
accuracy=8 detail=8

Tampo/Decals
I won't comment on this. Probably the weakest part of the model, but it really doesn't make a difference to me on how much I like the car.
accuracy=8 detail=5

Tires/Wheels
The tyres have Michelin and some model on them, but they're not as realistic as an Autoart model obviously, and the wheels seem quite alright.
accuracy=8 detail=8

Undercarriage
Not much to see here. I'll give it credit though as you can see the drivetrain or whatever it's called and the engine from under the car, as wheel as the exhaust and all that, so it's better than I expected.
accuracy=8 detail=8

Overall Accuracy = 7.625
Overall Detail = 6.375

Overall Total = 7.0

All in all, what can I say? This is a budget model. I paid $40 canadian for it, so that's about $35 US or so. To me it was completely worth. I really love the Viper GTS, and I've always wanted one in this blue w/ stripes paintjob. I scored this car as the categories go. 7 may not mean much, but my own personal score for my own personal tastes would probably be 9.5/10 for this one or maybe 9.0/10. I've learned to appreciate scale cars very much. In the country where I come from, it was considered a luxury to have 1/64 cars by brands like Majorette, Matchbox and nobody had heard of Hot Wheels. It was lucky to have 1/64 cars that were actual 'cars' and that had lil' opening doors and that had a slight amount of detail to them. Cars like Bburago 1/18 and even 1/24, and even the 1/43, very few people had them.. In fact, I had like 3 Bburago 1/18 and nobody else I knew even had more than 1 (and that was only like 2 kids that had 1).

Anyway, because of that, I appreciate all my Bburago models, and the fact that they all have some history behind them have a big meaning to me. My other Viper, which is a Viper RT/10 by Bburago in 1/18 I got as a present for Christmas from my godmother, and have since cherished it very much. Now that I live in Canada, I have found the opportunity to buy some better cars as well, so I might buy an AutoArt car this christmas. I don't have that much money though, so I can barely afford to buy a model over $50 canadian or so.

Aaaanyway, the conclusion is, if you're like me and you appreciate all your models, and a Bburago model is enough for you (which it is for me), then this Viper GTS is a very nice model to add to your collection. This model makes a really awesome addition to my collection, and previously I could only hope that I could still find one, as I don't find any Bburago models around here and don't really have the money to order online.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Welcome to DX! :cheers I got to say, I like your name! :giggle

That is one heck of a way to introduce yourself by giving us a great review! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

BTW, the Bburago Viper is about 10 years old now! :giggle But it has aged well!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got the Viper RT/10 probably around 8 years ago. I got my first die-cast car probably like 10 years ago, with the first being a 1/24 Ferrari F40 metal kit by Bburago, or a 1/18 Lamborghini Diablo by Bburago, not too sure anymore. Having only recently gotten back into collecting die-cast after like a 5 year break, I've wanted this Viper GTS really bad and got real lucky cause it's such a old model, it's probably not even produced anymore. :tease

G

·
MustangSVT,

Welcome aboard and glad to have someone who is new jump right in and get their feet wet :nicejob

Thanks for taking the time and using the DX Model Review Scoring system. Your review compared to others proves that it does work in fairly reviewing a model regardless if the model is a favorite of the reviewer.

I really enjoyed your review because you didn't allow your personal attachement for the models reflect on its scoring. :cheers

I think the Bburago Viper GTS' are a better model than those of Maisto for various reasons.

Even though this is a Budget model, its been one that I searched for a long time and I am glad I found it recently.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome MustangSVT, from one newbie to another!
. Great first review, this is a model I have been hunting for a while too! Congrats on the new addition! :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've been here almost a year and I still haven't written a review!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.