1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Like what other said Kyosho sealed styrofoam boxes are newer releases compares to window boxes. Not sure about the logical explanation as to why prices are different apart from one being older and prices are set by different sellers. I think regardless of the age all Kyosho diecast models have high chance of catching paint rashes anyway if one is concerned about such thing.

I dont mind window boxes personally as it gives u the ability to inspect the model without needing to take the whole thing out which is great in the past when we used to buy models at bricks and mortar stores. Doesnt matter now since everything in done online via delivery... If anything proper sealed sytrofoam boxes are better option since it offers superior protection during transport. I find Kyosho's window boxes to be somewhat flimsy compares to the styorofoam box and it also offers bit of the "premium" feel.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
The 'window' part of boxes tends to warp or fall out.
And a window box which has been exposed to direct sunlight for some time is more likely to suffer potential effects.
I used to visit a retailer on a regular basis before he closed the shop, and he hated boxes that didn't display the model clearly.
As mentioned above, online sales now mean windows are not really needed.
Of course, in the past SunStar covered both bases, the window box had a sleeve that could be easily slipped off.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The 'window' part of boxes tends to warp or fall out.
And a window box which has been exposed to direct sunlight for some time is more likely to suffer potential effects.
I used to visit a retailer on a regular basis before he closed the shop, and he hated boxes that didn't display the model clearly.
As mentioned above, online sales now mean windows are not really needed.
Of course, in the past SunStar covered both bases, the window box had a sleeve that could be easily slipped off.
Ah yes the detached clear window problem when glue dries up. Very annoying indeed and takes bit of effort to fix them.
I think the clear window box has both advantages and disadvantages for shops that offer physical display and inspection for customers without needing to take the whole thing out and risk damages. Depending on how rough the customers are while handling the window box they can easily cause creases on the window if they grab them by the clear window part. That will devalue the mechandise somewhat as it won't look new anymore.

I quite like Sunstar's platinum box design. But i find their box art to be bit on the "cheap" side compares to say to typical Autoart Millenium or Kyosho boxart they have this premium feel to them with bit of air of exclusivity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts