DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just a few minutes ago, while looking again through my collection, I realized they were all misplaced. I instantly went to my mom and asked if she had touched them and she said she had dusted them the day before when I wasn't home. I instantly knew something was wrong. :help

I sorted through the model, re-placing them together properly. Unfortunately, I found she broke 2 of my models, very minor damage, but it still breaks my heart... On my AUTOart C5R, she broke the antenna, it's completely missing, and on my Minichamps M3 GTR, one of the hood rings is missing. I know they're very minor, but it just breaks my heart now looking and knowing something is wrong. :rant :help

Now I know. From now on I will make it clear that no one except me is allowed to touch the models. :rant

edit: on further investigation, she also broke one of the 3 antennas on my Bentley Speed 8, and the wiper doesn't sit in place on the C5R and the Bentley speed 8 anymore. :kick

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
You're not alone....when I wanted to dust my 2 Maybachs this evening (they are on display in our living room), I noticed they had no dust on them ...very strange... :confused ...and when I checked them closer I saw that the Maybach symbols of both cars were completely bend down....so asked my wife what happend and she told me our new cleaning lady had dusted the shelves (and the cars too)..... :help ..It will be the last time she will dust those cars I think.....(OK...she did not know, but I was quite shocked when I saw the damage...)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem is my dad and my mom know that I'm extremely obsessive with my cars and I've explained many times that these cars are sensitive and that absolutely no one under any circumstance is to touch them.

I fully blame myself for what has happened for not getting a proper shelf and display with a little lock and glass windows earlier. Now I know and I won't be buying anymore cars until I do this. And I was looking to maybe get a Sauber C9 or CMC SLR in the future. Not anymore, not until I can assure that nobody can touch them anyway.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Fortunately for me my family have no desire to touch my models. They're all kept neatly in my room and apart from the occasional curious eyes of my father they and the supervised admiration from my mates they go untouched by anyone without honest intentions. I don't dare leave them downstairs. One of my sister's drunk friends would eat them.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thankfully, no-one touches my cars. They are in a special room, behind a locked glass cabinet.

People know how much I have invested in them and how much pleasure I get from them, so I have been spared the heartache of having a family member break them. The worst damage inflicted on my cars has actually been done by myself..... (purely accidental of course....)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well, all my cars are in storage at the moment, so they are very safe! (We are in the middle of a house move, some time this century...)

But prior to being put into storage I had them all in two large cabinets with locked glass doors so they were safe from damage by others!

Mum's are the worst when it comes to damage to model cars (they just think that these models are ridiculous toys!). When I was building my cabinets about 4 years ago, she was babysitting my son Rory who was 2 at the time and despite me saying please, please do not let Rory at my models, (after all he has a gazillion other toys and things to play with) my Mum decided it would be a good idea to let him play with my then brand new AUTOart BMW 2002 L (which I had stupidly left out after I had been using it to measure up shelves for my new cabinets).
Needless to say Rory dropped it straight onto it's roof on a wooden floor which badly damaged it. And the worst part is she hid it back on the shelf and didn't tell me! And when I did find it she told me not to be so silly it was only a toy car! Arrrgghhh! (It still annoys me! :giggle )

Anyway, Mums are generally the best, but are better off being kept away from model cars!!! :cheers

Mind you, my father in law tends to handle everything like it was a lump hammer so he is banned from examining my models too! (In the past he used to ask to look at some of the classic cars in my collection and would grab them with both hands in a meaty grip and give me palpitations as a result! :help )

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I would be annoyed beyond belief with anyone that so much as opened my cabinet without me knowing about it. I am so careful whenever I handle the models that I'm afraid I trust nobody else to do so! I think my family largely understand how much care I would want them to take, but I'm just not convinced that they would be aware of how fragile some of the parts can be. It's too easy to pick up a car and just rest part of your hand on an antenna - a second later its no longer attached. I've almost done it myself.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hehehe...how ironic.

Before I had a digicam I was very particular about not touching any of my models. Anders kindly took some shots for me, and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw my model out of it's case!

Now Anders is extremely careful and the model was unharmed, but I think I scared him when I stopped speaking and started hyperventilating :lol

Time have changed though and Anders is welcome to handle my models as he sees fit. After all, he is my satellite collecting buddy :cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just to qualify Mark's statement - his cars were never unscrewed from their bases. I merely took the perspex cover off so the sun wouldn't reflect off it while trying to shoot the car. That's all. Mark almost had kittens, but he is quite good now. Only a few more years of therapy fella, and you will be able to touch them..... :giggle

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Wow, she really did a lot of damage. :dizzy That's why it's good to use a can of compressed air to remove dust from models. It's amazing how delicate some parts are, particularily antennas. I have a UT Porsche GT2R and I can tell the antenna is going to go any day now. :scared

G

·
Last month I came home from work only to find the debris from my 8-year-old having another girl over to play. I have (had) a nice (was) vintage Japanese pressed tin racing Porsche 911 sitting next to various Autoart supercars five feet off the floor.

I found it on the floor under a 1:6 Humvee with various dents and scratches. In this case I would have been happier if they had gotten to the diecasts. At least they are still in production and replaceable.

My children are very lucky we don't believe in corporal punishment. I had to put myself in time out to calm down.

G

·
samething hapend to me my grandmother came over and site's down at the tabel and i left a model of mine there and she pick's it up and sas she like it and then drop's it that suck's becouse it was a pick up and the broke a chain on it i got so mad but i said nothing

:rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.