DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tend to use eBAY more often these days to make purchases.

I recieved an email from a seller I recently purchased from reminding me to leave feedback and he would do the same once I have done so. :confused

Well after I win an auction and make payment, I have completed my obligation to the seller and feedback should be left on my behalf by the seller. I owe them nothing else.

I don't understand all this crap about, I'll leave feedback once you do so. And it seems to be the norm nowadays. :confused

I only leave feedback with sellers who leave feedback after recieving payment, I'm not going to play the game where my feedback is held hostage until I leave feedback with these sellers, I guess thats just one less feedback they will recieve. :nutkick

Needless to say, this seller will not be getting any feedback for holding my feedback hostage. :rant

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, at least he is so kind not threatening you with negative feedback!!! :teasing
Or at least you didn't mention a threatening :confused
I think he should be glad he's not received negative feedback from you... No feedback is not negative feedback! :talk :talk :talk

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I feel the same way.
Once I have sent my payment my work is done.
Leave feedback for me and then I will gladly do the same.
My own feedback number is very low because of this way of thinking but thats OK with me.

Some of these ebay sellers are way out of hand with these demands :ranting

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I go back every now and then, and check to see who I owe feedback to. If I recall that it was a memorable transaction, I'll leave it. Sometimes I just copy and paste the same comment for several auctions, just to insure that I don't get e-mails like your describe.

My $.02

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah this is a pet peeve of mine too. I always leave feedback once I recieve the item, but I expect my feedback as well. Nine times out of ten I pay immediatly after winning an auction. But these sellers with 1400+ feedback seem to be too busy to bother with feedback for us little buyers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made the mistake once of leaving feedback first. The seller was pretty lousy and told me the item shipped several times before he shipped it. When I finally got it I left neutral feedback, not negative like he deserved. In return I got a negative feedback. I now no longer leave feedback first, and have a feedback rating around 20. In actuality I have bought 40+ items and pay immediately (within a minute or two of auction close), but never received feedback as the sellers all say the buyer has to leave it first.

If you don't sell stuff your feedback doesn't matter, so I no longer care what the number is. I won't play this stupid game of you leave me, I leave you. I think eBay is a good idea with lousy execution and only use it because stores don't sell the models I want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil,

You make some really good points :cheers

I'm not sure as to why sellers feel that buyers should leave back first, I have never seen a feedback from a seller stating that the buyer was happy with the item, most feedbacks from sellers indicate that payment was made promptly or good ebayer, never nothing like the buyer was happy with the item.

So I don't see what the problem is with them leaving feedback once payment is recieved. :rant

But as you said, its just a number has carries no weight in the scheme of things. :badidea

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dean O said:
Yeah this is a pet peeve of mine too. I always leave feedback once I recieve the item, but I expect my feedback as well. Nine times out of ten I pay immediatly after winning an auction. But these sellers with 1400+ feedback seem to be too busy to bother with feedback for us little buyers.
:iagree :iagree :iagree :iagree

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, other than feed back, it irritates the $%#$%# out of me when they charge $20 for shipping then send it on the back of a turtle.

(sorry I went off topic)

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Roadtrip said:
Actually, other than feed back, it irritates the $%#$%# out of me when they charge $20 for shipping then send it on the back of a turtle.

(sorry I went off topic)
It's worse yet when the turtle crosses from the U.S. into Canada, then decides to crawl back to the U.S. back to the start point! (My true experience! And I'm still awaiting my 2 Viper GTS-Rs)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tend to agree about the "hostage feedback" situation. Usually, I'll receive feedback pretty quickly for prompt payment. I tend to leave feedback anyway, once I receive the item in good shape. Generally, my friends will email or call me when a personal item I have shipped them arrives. Rather than email an ebay seller directly, I'll just leave them feedback. In my mind that's a little way to let em know that you got their shipment safely.

I leave feedback for that reason, not because I want someone to reciprocate. I don't care if I have 0 or 10 million postive comments about my ebay activity. And as far as shipping charges go, anything over $10 in the states is a rip off. When I see someone charging above that, I won't bid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roadtrip said:

(sorry I went off topic)
:lol :lol You made my day with your comment (The turtle comment I mean..).

After hundreds of buy and sell on eBay (Mostly buy. I don't sell DX Rocks's inventory on eBay), I am surprised that only a handful actually email me about feedbacks. One of these people actually ask me to leave a feedback right after the auction is over. I told the person that I won't leave a feedback till the transaction is completed. Logically, I won't know if I am happy with the experience or not until I actually receive the product I paid for right? As for the rest, I guess they want to beef up their feedback counts. As for myself, when I buy, I leave feedback within a week after I receive the product(s). When I sell, I leave feedback within a week after I receive the payment. I dont really care if the other party leave me any feedback or not. After all, the feedback system don't pay me anything anyways.

I don't know why so many people see feedback as a very important thing. Since the feedback system on eBay is far from perfect, it's rather useless anyways. Regardless if I have 100 feedbacks or 1, people will most likely do business with me if my product is interesting and cheap. At the same time, regardless if a seller has perfect feedback and such, he or she can still scam you whenever he or she wants. With that said, I certainly hope eBay do more in the future to improve their feedback system. Hopefully we can see it as a "real" tool to identify a legit seller or a fraud.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In thoery, the feedback carries no weight from a buyers standpoint. I personally could care less what mine is.

I think it carriesa bit more weight from a sellers standpoint, I will not buy from someone who has 0 feedback or who has less than a 96% feedback. Understandably, its a report card based on customer service, however, far from perfect, but never the less a good gauge on who your buying from.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, this is an old topic, but eBay transactions are more common than ever. I'm curious if anyone's opinion has changed in the last 2 years. :giggle

As for myself, I think eBay's feedback system is almost useless. It does not tell me what I want to know about the seller/buyer's history as there is practically only two choices: postive, or negative. Noone uses nuetral, where I think most transaction should be. I don't know how it got to be like the way it is, but when did nuetral become a bad thing? As a buyer, you pay for an item and you recieve it. Why is that transaction such a positive experience(AAA+++), than putting change in the pop machine to get a drink? What constitute as positive buying experience for me will be; detailed, and well laid out listing, good communiction, careful and fast packaging, good discount, and such. Most of the sellers fail to do so in my book, which makes me want to leave a nuetral feedback. I would like to see a bigger scale, lets say, a scale of 5 or even 10 to rate the transactions. My guess is, most transactions will be around 7~8 on a scale of 10.

Here is a little anecdote. I purchased a model last year and the model came damaged (few scratches and loose license plate), due to not being secured to the base with proper screws. I was upset, and I left the seller a negative feedback for not checking to see if the product was secure for shipment. Well, as you might have guessed, the seller threw me a negative feedback back claiming I did not give them a chance to fix the issue (return/exchange/etc), and left them a negative feedback without consulting them. Basically, they are saying they deserve a 2nd chance, and when I didn't give them the 2nd chance, that makes me a bad eBay player. I've thought about this one in my head many times. Part of me agree that I could have contacted them first and maybe I could have gotten a mint model without any more money out of my pocket. But then, I did not pay to go through all the hussle, and the original model should have been mint if only the seller took responsibility apon themselves to check their products.

Given the choices of positive, neutral, and negative, I still keep going back to negative for this perticular transaction. There's nothing worse than recieving a much anticipate model half broken. Even if the seller gave me a full exchange for free 1 week later, there is no way this transaction would be positive. I am very currious what feedback the seller would have given me if I left him a nuetral after recieving the exchange.....

With the current system, I take full advantage of the fact that I DON'T have to leave feedbacks, and it is 100% voluntarily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well two years later after posting this, I only have 34 feedbacks...so I would say not a whole lot has changed.

Ebay's feedback system is utterly silly. There should be some type of filter where a seller cannot be left feedback until they have done so.

·
Registered
902 Posts
yep if i sell something & they pay quick etc i leave feedback right away. i expect the same. if your not selling crap you have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
462 Posts
As a seller , I will leave feedback once payment is received. The only time I don't , is if I think there might be a problem with the buyer. If there is a problem with something I sent out, I usually resove it with the buyer, either by a refund or buying the item back.

As a buyer, I leave feedback once the item is received and is in good condition. If it isn't in good shape, I will try to resolve it with the seller. If the seller refuses or doesn't respond after a few days ,I will leave negative feedback as a last resort. I have left nuetral for some sellers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
In my book Darrick, the transaction is not completed until after the buyer has received his item. Up until then, anything can still happen. I've sold quite a number of models over eBay, and I absolutely refuse to leave feedback until after the buyer lets me know he has safely received the model. There are too many a$$holes out there who are trigger happy with their negative or neutral feedback over tiggy-touch issues to risk my reputation. You may say this is feedback hostage - I say this is simply part of doing business on eBay :pullhair

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hm, the feedback playing game sounds really stupid.

The seller who sells the item should leave feedback immediately if he receives payment, or when the payment is done (assuming it's done within a week or whatever the limit is).

The buyer should leave feedback as soon as they receive the item.

I've only bought a few items so far (5 items) from eBay, and each time, as soon as I get the package I leave the positive feedback (assuming the item is as advertised).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Matt,

I fail to understand why that is so.

If the buyer has paid in a prompt/satisfactory manner, his obligation to the seller is over. Done.

So what possibly can the seller be waiting on to leave feedback? Will the seller leave feedback according to the buyers satsifaction of the item being recieved?

I don't agree with it and I don't think I ever will...unless it can be explained to me in a way that makes sense.

If a transaction goes bad during shipping, I am sure the buyer will notify the seller and give the seller ample amount of time to resolve this problem. If the seller resolves the problem accordingingly, then the buyer is obligated to indicate a positive.

If the opposite of the aforementioned happens, then a negative is deserving.

As the seller has the buyers money in hand, whats the risk of putting a feedback in the sellers hand?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts