DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
John
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when it says "Buyer pays for all shipping costs"?
Bid on it with no worries.69.52%
Email the seller and ask for shipping rates and other fees.4876.19%
Just ignore it and move on; or look for another deal.914.29%

·
John
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had some problems in the past when I was a rookie on eBay. The seller(s) some times make me buy insurance and overcharge me on the handling fees. So now I just ignore auctions that don't have any shipping rates or better ways to help me get my total. It wastes my time when I have to email and wait for the person to reply back to me. And sometimes they are mean about it, I guess they figure if you really want it, then you will bid on it with no problems. I hate that! Its like what next, are you going to make me pay for a security deposit for a 10 dollar model? Just wondering if anyone feels like that sometimes or its just me.

NOTE: Hope I don't offend any sellers on this forum that don't list a shipping rate with other fees as sometimes you don't know the price range or other. (Its just that some times people/sellers can be rude and rip you off on shipping because they didn't make enough on the item/auction.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good point F355 :cheers

I also have a share of bad experience with some ebay seller. Iam bidding on a Euro40 model and he is charging me of a Eur35 shipping to my address. Nuts! :fight

G

·
I usually get my auctions from seller located in the states, so therefore I refuse to pay more than $10 s/h as I know it doesn't cost more than that to ship a package with the US unless there are multiple items or 1/9 drag bikes as they are extremely heavy, then I will pay the extra charges. :tempted

If I see an item with no shipping, it makes me leary as I know everything isn't disclosed up front and the seller can then come back after the auction and inflate the s/h charges. :badidea

But I also believe that there are some good sellers out there who won't stoop to these lows. :cheers

However, I stick to my guns, if its more than $10, just go ahead leave me a negative feedback because I won't be paying the inflated s/h. :eek:hmy

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always list mine as buyer pays actual shipping costs. There's nothing that picces me off more than paying $10 to ship and when the package comes in it says $4.50 on the shipping label.

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
I rarely go on eBay, only go there if I'm looking for a hard to find model. I've had no problems with their shipping though, but often you'll find someone whos shipping is kinda steep and they just want to make a few extra bucks. I always try to buy from power sellers. I just purchased a model from someone who has sold over 7,000 models and has 100% feedback.

G

·
It depends for me too. I actualy had a guy refung the shipping difference (the "calculate your postage fee" tool some people use came up with a price of $13.75. I paid that amount, and was surprised to see $6.25 refund from the seller in my paypal account a few days later.

Otherwise, I usually ask for a quote.

G

·
If the shipping isn't listed I will email the seller for a shipping quote.
From Day 1 i've always asked for P&P rates where not stated.

Generally, the more reputable sellers will advise you to contact them for shipping and packing rates prior to bidding, as they cannot hope to cater for all countries and all situations.

I'm not saying that anyone deserves to get ripped off if they do not ask questions, but surely it's common sense to ask if you don't know: if you decide otherwise and take a chance, then what do you expect?

There's nothing that picces me off more than paying $10 to ship and when the package comes in it says $4.50 on the shipping label.
The auctions I will not bid on, are the ones where people add handling, wrapping or box fees, in addition to the shipping fees.
I think that these 2 points come down to the same thing...

I see nothing wrong with this; handling and wrapping are time spent, and time is money. I do not believe there are sellers on eBay, (or any other business trading ystem), who are charities. I'm with you on box fees tho'; the majority of 1:18 diecast i've bought from abroad turn up in (well packaged) ex-supermarket boxes.

G

·
CRXLoon said:
If the shipping isn't listed I will email the seller for a shipping quote.
From Day 1 i've always asked for P&P rates where not stated.

Generally, the more reputable sellers will advise you to contact them for shipping and packing rates prior to bidding, as they cannot hope to cater for all countries and all situations.

I'm not saying that anyone deserves to get ripped off if they do not ask questions, but surely it's common sense to ask if you don't know: if you decide otherwise and take a chance, then what do you expect?

There's nothing that picces me off more than paying $10 to ship and when the package comes in it says $4.50 on the shipping label.
The auctions I will not bid on, are the ones where people add handling, wrapping or box fees, in addition to the shipping fees.
I think that these 2 points come down to the same thing...

I see nothing wrong with this; handling and wrapping are time spent, and time is money. I do not believe there are sellers on eBay, (or any other business trading ystem), who are charities. I'm with you on box fees tho'; the majority of 1:18 diecast i've bought from abroad turn up in (well packaged) ex-supermarket boxes.
:iagree

I always list shipping fee within my own country( uk) but its just not possible to do this for international shipping as the prices vary from country to country .

It is always the buyers responsibility to enquire about shipping cost BEFORE the auction ends. If he doesnt and isnt happy with the cost , he simply gets a -ve feedback left for him .

What I find really annoying is when the bidder argues with you that the price you quoted is wrong , thinking they always know better . This is most common with American bidders ( in my experience anyway ) They just dont like paying international shipping fees , and quite frankly , their attitude really pi***s me off .
If they bid on an international auction then they have to realise they have to pay international shipping prices too , which arent cheap.

I recently sold a Revell Porsche 914 to a guy in LA for £20GBP . I explained the £6 shipping fee was within the UK only and his fee would be £19.27 . Needless to say he wasnt happy . He asked for an itemised breakdown of the shipping cost because he said he`d bought from the UK before and never paid that much . I had to weigh the car , the box , tell him the weight of the packing peanuts etc etc before he paid for the car.....What a joke .

Alot of people also believe that no charge should be added for packaging , handling etc , which I feel is wrong . It costs me to buy boxes , packing peanuts , bubblewrap , packing tape etc , so why shouldnt I charge the buyer for it. As CRXLoon said , Ebay sellers are not charities . I personally dont charge for packing and handling , but it wouldnt be wrong if I did .

·
John
586 Posts
By looking at the votes, I see everyone here has a different way of shopping on ebay when they see "Buyer pays for all shipping costs".

I guess it all comes down to "it depends", we seller/buyers may run into someone who will overcharge, give reasonable price, being cheap to pay, or being rude.

I choose to ignore sellers who post "Buyer pays for all shipping costs" because if its fixed then they should know to put "buyer pays for actual shipping and insurance plus $3 handling fee or (how much money they think is reasonable.) Otherwise I'd say just put "Buyer pays for actual shipping" when they list the item.
I guess it just wastes my time because I shop on eBay a lot and I don't have time to email everyone who has "buyer pays for all shipping cost" listed and due to some bad transactions in the past.

G

·
As of yet, I haven't bid on any hard to find or rare models, so I usually go with the Power Sellers, and usually use the Buy it Now feature. Power Sellers usually tell you what their shipping charges are and give you a discount on multiple items.

I just purchased two Autoart models (RX-8 and 350Z) for $41.99 each. The seller charged $9.00 for the first item and only $2.00 for the additional model (this was all spelled out on the auction page so I knew before bidding). So even with the slightly steeper shipping charges you are getting a better deal than you could at a local hobby shop or non-ebay online store where Autoart models go for $60.

If it was a very rare item that I was bidding on and I didn't have the choice to go with a more reputable seller, I would probably email the seller before bidding.

G

·
If the seller doesn't specifically state the shipping costs to Canada, I e-mail them. I also specify "air-mail" when I ask; once I had a game sent surface and it took almost a month. Not a big deal for a game but for a die-cast... ouch!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've always come across sellers that disclose the s/h up front, but if I'm tempted to buy from one who doesn't, I'll be sure to e-mail them to see what the price will be. I don't wanna be stuck with some ridiculous sum at the end.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For a commonly available model, I'll just find a seller that lists the shipping cost up front. I'm leery of a seller bumping up the shipping cost in case the model doesn't sell for what they hoped for. But if it's a rare model, I will ask for the shipping cost.

A bigger peeve for me is seller's who only accept money orders. I once had one that took a week and a half to go from Chicago to New Jersey. The seller even started a non -payment dispute. The next time I sent payment with the signed receipt option, but the cost for the money order and postage ended up being almost a third of the cost of the model and shipping :nutkick

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

I always list shipping fee within my own country( uk) but its just not possible to do this for international shipping as the prices vary from country to country .

It is always the buyers responsibility to enquire about shipping cost BEFORE the auction ends. If he doesnt and isnt happy with the cost , he simply gets a -ve feedback left for him .

What I find really annoying is when the bidder argues with you that the price you quoted is wrong , thinking they always know better . This is most common with American bidders ( in my experience anyway ) They just dont like paying international shipping fees , and quite frankly , their attitude really pi***s me off .
If they bid on an international auction then they have to realise they have to pay international shipping prices too , which arent cheap.

I recently sold a Revell Porsche 914 to a guy in LA for £20GBP . I explained the £6 shipping fee was within the UK only and his fee would be £19.27 . Needless to say he wasnt happy . He asked for an itemised breakdown of the shipping cost because he said he`d bought from the UK before and never paid that much . I had to weigh the car , the box , tell him the weight of the packing peanuts etc etc before he paid for the car.....What a joke .

Alot of people also believe that no charge should be added for packaging , handling etc , which I feel is wrong . It costs me to buy boxes , packing peanuts , bubblewrap , packing tape etc , so why shouldnt I charge the buyer for it. As CRXLoon said , Ebay sellers are not charities . I personally dont charge for packing and handling , but it wouldnt be wrong if I did .
:iagree :iagree

1 - 20 of 31 Posts