DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oak244
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would post this and see if others feel the same way. The other day I got my Black Lane Exact 1965 Z16 Mailbu Chevelle, and a Matador Red with White stripes Olds 442 W30. I got both of these rather cheap, $38 and $41 respectfully, which is the main reason I own these now. I wanted to see what Lane was like these days.

First when it came to the Olds, based on internet pictures I expected this car to be somewhat orange. I have to say in person its is not orange at all, and in fact a beautiful deep red color. Now that I see this in person I am so much happier I got the white stripe version and not the black, which I have to admit on the day I bought, I wanted the Black stripe version, but was over bid. All in all I am very happy with this car! :tongue

Now for the 65 Z16.... I really have to admit, the only reason I got this one, is because I got it cheap, and had already won the Olds, so was looking at a shipping break. However, seeing this car in person again ohh my is it cool... In fact I find myself staring at it more then I do the Olds. I have to say, diecast collecting has really broadened my love for all cars. Through Diecast, I have been able to see what the now day 1:1 owners of these cars see in them, instead of boxy huge boats.

Dont get me wrong, I used to have tons of classic cars, (Before my ex made me sell them) :pullhair But this time around I am only buying 1 of each car which is allowing for a much broader collection.. Old collection had 100's of Mustangs and Camaro's! lol

Really the increased prices on AUTOart's cars has really just made my Classic car collection grow instead of my Porsches.

G

·
Oak,

I bought the Matador Red w/White Stripe based on the pictures I saw from Jeff(vegasracer).

I was excited when I saw his pics and even more excited when I got the models.

Pictures alone can be a great influence, however, an accurate description of the model by a fellow member or on any other site is the difference.

Thats why I appreciate an honest assessment, review or opinion on a model. So I understand what your saying about the Porsches' as I am right there with you, more than I care to explain right now.

G

·
A picture isn't really a substitute for holding a model in your hands, but they are a good indication about the detail level/accuracy of a model.

You did indeed get a good deal on both of these model. I own a Regal red ExactDetail Chevy Malibu myself and it is a superb model although I did pay a great deal more for mine than you did.

:cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
First of all,
aboard! :cheers

Darrick and Jim have good points. A photo really does help when evaluating a possible new model, but sometimes it doesn't show it all (the good and the bad points). That's where I think a good review comes in. If the reviewer is speaking his heart, you have a chance to understand some of the strengths and weaknesses of the model that at 1st glance a cold picture doesn't show. I too have recieved models that surprised me (for better or worse). But undoubtly, it's a fantastic thing when you get a car and you realize that you got more then what you payed for it. I'm glad to know that the Lane did that for you.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I wholeheartedly agree. Especially your amazing reviews, Lu! I always use your reviews (and other DXers') to gauge whether I should purchase certain models...

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Thanks Gary! :cheers

But never forget that, as every human, I'm essencially biased by what I like and what I don't like. For instance, I may not make a big deal of it if a model doesn't have astonishing brake caliper detail, but I will get my panties in a bunch if the car is out of scale or if there's too many decals or even dog legs. The same way, I'll rave about what I think is a nice engine but won't make much ado about a correctly threaded tire.

You always have to take reviews with a grain of salt, and compare what you are reading to what you are seeing in the pics.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
well, the things you've mentioned (decals, out of scale, dog legs) are things I hate the most as well, so with your commentary, I can safely buy/not buy a certain model :giggle

Let me think, I was pleasently surprised when I my Watsons, esepcially with the hood hinges. I know it's not a very complicated hinge like the CMC SLR, but it's really fun to play with as well (it slides forward a bit, and then flips up). Also, when I got it in person, it just looked so much better than the pics. This and the 300SL are the models I keep taking outta the box, and just admiring on my tabletop :happy

G

·
That's nice to hear, fellas. For once a model looks just as good or better than the pictures. :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

It would be nice if I can say the same about the Big Mac I ordered and the one on the menu... :giggle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts