DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up next for review is the ERTL 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. I've had this car so long I forgot when I first got it.. This is my first medium quality car review, so I may seem biased on the quality. I'll try my best not to do that. To start off, I've had this car so long, I threw away the box long ago, so no review of that. Let's jump straight into the car..

I just took this out of storage, and as can be seen it is pretty dusty and grimy. Although this car is aged, one can still the well applied Jamacia Blue with hood stripes, as well as the painted air grabber, The body is straight and all shut lines fit appropriately. All of the trim on the car is plastic, including the door handles, wipers, bumpers and grille. One weird thing is the badge on the doors, which are just obvious stickers. When the badges on the rear, are actually paint badges.

Up front not much more can be said except the grille is not through and the license plate is just a sticker. No frame or anything. I'd recommend taking them off..

On the rear, only to thing to note are the exhaust tips, which have been barely drilled except being painted. Kudos for doing that.

The Magnum 500 wheels on this car are plastic and are fitted to not that bad redline tires. They feel though as they're solid rubber. The front wheels steer with the steering wheel as it should well.

The interior is just... there. It looks good from the outside? Just don't open the door. If you do make that mistake, you're greeted with a sea of plastic and lack of detail. Sitting in the bench seat, you're greeted with no pedals, an awkward shifter and a flat dashboard. clearly this car was made to sit on the shelf and viewed from more than ten feet away.

Yeah.... the trunk doesn't open........ so,,,yeah..0/10

Under the hood(which opens on fake hinges), there's not much to see. You have your plain motor, connected to the radiator and the transmission. That's about it. Best thing under the hood is the horn. It just sticks out there in the corner.

The bottom is detailed, but not correct. The front and rear suspension are modeled pretty well, just in plastic. Not much else to say.

Overall, the car is nice, it's just plastic. I've heard the Supercar Collectibles 1969 1/2 Roadrunner is a lot better, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. This car is only good when viewed from either a distance away or among a group of other diecast. If anyone happens to own one, do you recommend it?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Pretty harsh review. You do realize that this tooling is from '93 and it sold for $19.95 at ToyRUs (which is a toy store).
Back then, we were glad that anything that resembled the actual car got made and this was about what we expected from 1/18s.
I own several and I recommend it if you are a diecast collector and value what it represents or I should say, represented when released. If you are a "modelist", stay away from them and go ask Santa what the latest diarrhea of Lambo AUTOart is churning out.

BTW, the pedals are moulded into the floor pan as most models in that time period were. The later SC versions release in '06/'07 had a little more detail like engine and chassis paint, opening trunk and painted chrome trim. The 2010 AutoWorld releases based on the same tooling is a little bit updated and has more detail, but the basis is the same.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Pretty harsh review. You do realize that this tooling is from '93 and it sold for $19.95 at ToyRUs (which is a toy store).
Back then, we were glad that anything that resembled the actual car got made and this was about what we expected from 1/18s.
I own several and I recommend it if you are a diecast collector and value what it represents or I should say, represented when released. If you are a "modelist", stay away from them and go ask Santa what the latest diarrhea of Lambo AUTOart is churning out.

BTW, the pedals are moulded into the floor pan as most models in that time period were. The later SC versions release in '06/'07 had a little more detail like engine and chassis paint, opening trunk and painted chrome trim. The 2010 AutoWorld releases based on the same tooling is a little bit updated and has more detail, but the basis is the same.

I'm sure you had the model for some time but seriously do you expect models from '93 to equal models made today? Go look at Anson, Highway 61, ERTL from the early 90s and now look at the work done by Greenlight and the more updated Highway 61. Its apples to oranges my friend.

But on a side note, where you taking photos outside in direct sunlight? Seems like you are getting a blue wash over all the photos, maybe its me but wanted to check as the colors from the car didn't seem exact. I have three roadrunners in my collection and they all are vibrant.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The colors on the car don't look right because the car was sitting on a shelf in my garage for like 10 years. I cleaned it the best I could but there's still a few layers of junk still on there. I'm trying to get a light box so the pictures are a lot better.

Again I have no idea why I voted this car down so much. I like this car, I just wish it had more detail.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I used to have a yellow Ertl Roadrunner, but sold it recently. I actually preferred the blue one from the beginning,
so if i spot a nice blue one, i'll grab it. If i happen to stumble upon an Autoworld, i'll surely grab it.

The Ertl ain't a bad model, i think Ertl captured the lines pretty well, only the detail are missing a bit.
Hey, what 'd you expect from an almost 20-yearl old diecast?

It's a nice solid and heavy model with great lines. To put in your cabinet you don't need much more do you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.