DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm not a collector, but I'm looking at purchasing the above mentioned model for my husband...he has the real thing. I've only been able to find 2 listed that are white with black stripes. When I inquired about the one I was told that it is an early model Ertl mold (92-93) and may not have the detail or quality of a newer mold. Makes sense to me as I was in the diecasting business for many years. However it's in excellent condition.

The second one which I have a picture of is in the box which says American Muscle and I was told it was produced around 97. It looks good to me, but the pic is a bit grainy.

What I would like to know is if these are the same model and if so which year were they produced and what is the quality of the mold? If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
LisaGee :whatline

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Welcome aboard.

I have a 1970 Baldwin Motion Chevelle SS that I purchased for $9 this year.

I am quite sure there are many versions of this car, three of which I know of:

Black w/black rag top(newer version, released in 2006)
Black w/ white stripes
Black w/ Baldwin Motion Stripes

All of these seem to be from the same mold and none of them are highly detailed in comparison to other models. I will say they are honest models at best.

Not too many alternatives in the way of the Chevelle as there hasn't been too many offerings for it. Lane/ED offers a black w/ white stripes and Welly offers a Pro Street Chevelle in all black.

I like the Lane Chevelle, but its an older mold too. But prolly the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
The Ertl mold, while it was good for the time and they nailed the shape, it is rather plain when compared with the newer Lane.
The Ertl has dogleg hinges, no carpet, no engine wiring and a sealed trunk. The two white/black that you speak of, one is a 1/1500 Canadays release back in '97 (this one is HTF) and the other is a Hobby 1/5000 edition released in '04, but it had a blower and aftermarket wheels (this one is still available as it did not sell well).

Have you thought about having someone paint one just like your husbands? Whether you choose a Lane, Welly (compareable to Ertl) or the HWs, a competent modder can get it just like your husband's. The cost to paint it would be about the same, just the cost of the base model would be different. This mod is not too hard as the stripes are available as decals.

I would think that him having a 1 of 1 identical to his 1:1 would be neat.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, and I thought this was going to be easy....just buy a toy car that looks like his....HAHA, Could you please explain what a "HTF" is? Yes it is Cannaday, but of the 2 which would be better? What I dont do for that man!!!!

Thanks again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
The Cannadays is 'hard to find' since it was released in '97. The Hobby edition is newer and still available. This version is not stock as it has several aftermarket parts.

I just checked eBay and it looks like Ertl upgraded the old Chevelle tool to the "Elite" level and it now has wires, real hood and door hinges, carpet and an opening trunk.
The only color I found was black, so why not get this and have it repainted? I don't know how much people charge for a repaint, but if it is $100 plus the $40 for the diecast, you will end up with a nice copy of your LUCKY hubbie's Chevelle.

Search ebay for "Ertl Chevelle" and you will see a picture of how detailed it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a pic of the Ertl Elite Version that DX gave away for our 3rd Anniversary Festivities.

Its nicely detailed and the engine looks great wired - but I don't think it had carpet in the interior.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Please do not spam my forums - if you want to promote your site - this is not the way.

Darrick
Forum Founder / Website Owner
DiecastXchange
The Complete Diecast Collectors Message Forum

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a nice one, but his is a 454 so heaven forbid I get anything with 396 written on it! I have seen white and black 454's but they have the "motor through the hood" thing going on and that's kind of ugly.

I think I'll stick to the Cannaday model I've found. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but as I've said before, we're not collectors, just looking for something that is the right make, model and color.

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.