DiecastXchange Forum banner

Every name some reason why you collect diecast

3K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  TifosiF1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I collect them because:
I enjoy them because they take be away from the everyday BS.
I love collecting them because I can see how some cars where kind of made.
I can share them with other collectors who I know will enjoy them for some of the same reasons as I do.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I collect them because:
-I'm a car addict since I was 3 years old.
-I love to see all my dream car reunite under my roof.
-I love to buy a new "little piece of miniature art" and see all the details.
-I love to share my passion with other collector as I work in a diecast store and here on DX.

G
#8 ·
I collect them because:
- I'm a collector-holic;
- Generally speaking, I like everything that's miniaturized: planes, cars, ships,... you name it;
- I love cars since I was a kid;
- My parents never could afford buying me diecasts, and all my "rich" mates had tons of them (Dinkies, Corgies, Matchboxes, do you remember them?);
- I love car racing and racing cars;
Quoting Cuda Jeff:
- I love to see all my dream car reunite under my roof;
- I love to buy a new "little piece of miniature art" and see all the details.
And finally I can collect them because:
- I made a deal with my wife: she doesn't complain about my diecasts, and I don't complain about her dolls and teddy bears. :hot

#13 ·
I would say that all of the above apply to me. :giggle Plus they are cheaper than drugs, alcohol and chassing women!

#15 ·
G
#17 ·
I started collecting because when I decided to go back to school I sold my car (3rd gen RX-7) and was having major auto withdrawls... so I started collecting diecast RX-7's. Once I got hooked on the detail of 1:18 scale I opened it up to all kinds of sportscars. I continue to collect because I love automotive design and they inspire me to be a better designer.

#20 ·
I collect diecasts because

I drive a 1:1 of the same brand and I love the car...
When I get home from work, all overstressed, they calm me down...
I found a great site with lots of nice guys/girls who have the same hobby and love to share it...
It is always great to see the history/evolution of a (one) brand and have it all in one room....
I still feel like a kid with those cars in my hands.....
:cheers

G
#26 ·
-Because I grew up with the heart pounding tubro charged Gran Prix races of the 80s-early90's which got me into cars in the first place (began watching racing as an infant all the time)
-As a result Im a car nut!
-To learn more about the cars I love
-To capture them in an obtainable form for the time being
-As an expression of myself
-Im a part of a community that makes collecting more enjoyable and addicting

Last but not least:

ONCE YOU COLLECT DIECAST YOU CAN NEVER GET OUT OF THE HOBBY! (As in, once you join the family you can never leave.)

#28 ·
My top 5 reasons for collecting diecasts:

5. I'm a sports car and road racing nut,

4. They are extremely fuel effecient and take up very little parking space,

3. Their insurance and Liscencing fees are negligible,

2. I appeciate them as sculptural and mechanical works of art,

and my number 1 reason for collecting diecasts ( with apologies to David Letterman ):

1. I don't make Jay Leno's salary to be able to buy the real ones! :giggle

G
#30 ·
I've been a car fan since I was 9 or so

It gives me the opportunity to own my dream cars in 4D at an "affordable" price (relatively speaking)

Meeting others who share the same passion and can relate :giggle

I love finding the "unexpected model"; one I had no idea existed but just grabs me the first time I see it

#31 ·
Attempting to use the format provided.

I collect diecast because:
• I enjoy them as they represent kinetic sculpture, i.e., they have beauty as represented in both form and function exhibited through time.
• I love collecting them because they represent automotive history - the evolution of the internal combustion engine (ex: DOHC 4-valve in abt. 1911), aerodynamics, etc. from buggies to wings and ground effects; race cars ingunity translated into the cars we drive. Really love the French curves, the tear drop design in order to cheat the wind, we know better how to accomplish this now but those cars left a legacy of beauty - at least to me..
• I find miniatures fascinating - enjoy building (since early 1950's) but Diecast gives instant gratification and in the past few years excellent detail and quality at a price I can afford.
• I can share them with other's who might enjoy them for some of the same reasons as I do.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

G
#32 ·
I love cars and can't afford a real life collection yet so the 1/18th scale collection will suffice. I have had AUTOPHOBIA since I was a kid and love cars.Collecting diecasts is my way of saluting my favourites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.