DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: I didn't want to hog bandwidth, so I kept the photos down to three... I'll post more in the following posts -

Thanks,

Joe

It's been a couple of years since I first saw the Exoto model of Ford's 999 racer, but the desire to have this amazing model in my hands was still strong when it finally arrived. And I'm weak in the knees over it. If there's a short list of subjects worthy of the Exoto treatment, this record-setting racer has to be somewhere very near the top.

http://www.pixhost.com/pixc/cheeks/9995.jpg

The automotive world was on its collective ear over Ford's boldness, Barney Oldfield's bravery, and the sensation that this car generated when it blasted around the track. I can only imagine what it must have been like to the spectators in 1902 - seeing (and hearing) this monster rollick by, kicking up dust and scaring the nearby livestock into a frenzy. Powered by an incredible 19-liter four cylinder engine (yep - that's almost five liters per cylinder) that ran no mufflers (or exhaust manifold, come to think of it) and a wide-open bottom end, old photos of the car show a goggled Oldfield hanging on to the steering bow and hunkering down to get out of the wind.

The model is easily Exoto's grandest yet in 1:18 scale, and the detail, operating features and high finger fun quotient have made the few hours I've spent with it a hoot. It's a gee whiz image, for sure.

The first thing you'll notice are the wheels - enormous, hand-spoked, and wrapped in perfect Firestone smoothies. There are grease cups at the hubs on the fronts, and the rears are mounted to a solid axle that, when spun, activates a set of bevel gears, the driveshaft, the flywheel, the crankshaft, and the tiny little gears that drive the water pump at the engine's front. What a show!

http://www.pixhost.com/pixc/cheeks/9997.jpg

The other working features are equally amazing. There are operable brakes (a rubber strap that closes on an axle-mounted drum when you press down on the brake pedal), an operating throttle, and a spring-loaded hand lever that slows the flywheel. Play with these for a minute, and you'll understand just how daring Oldfield was - and how clever Ford's design was, too.

The battery box opens to reveal a sextet of wet cells and bare copper wiring - nasty old stuff that was the cutting edge at the time - and the Huff accumulators are beautiful wooden boxes wearing tight tampos and equally Frankenstinian conductors. These run in a remarkable loom, wrapped in simulated tar tape, that terminates on each of the eight spark plugs atop the giant old block. Seems old Henry ran twin sparks per cylinder, and they're joined by neat little glass bowls at the terminus of each sweet brass intake horn. It's a staggering amount of detail, and it's so well done that the purpopse of every part becomes self-explanatory. I think Ford himself would appreciate the effort.

http://www.pixhost.com/pixc/cheeks/9994.jpg

I'm still enthralled by the car, and I'm sure that there will be many happy hours ahead. From the jaw dropping parts count that went into the radiator (over six hundred separate pieces and a couple feet of tubing) to the tiny springs that take up the slack on the brake, there's so much to take in and so much to enjoy here. It's a great effort, and even if it took a long time to get here, I think it was well worth the wait.

Enjoy!

Sorry to have to edit your post.
Please keep the pictures no bigger than 640x480 AND under 60kb so that the forum's layout doesn't get is easy to use for all members. The 640x480 dimensions ensures that members don't have to scroll side to side to see the whole picture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stunning absolutely stunning :tongue :yahoo
great photo's Joe of a remarkable model..........you gotta give to Exoto when it comes to models.........other issues are other issues.
congrats again Joe :cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Simply amazing!

·
Registered
994 Posts
That's simply incredible... :tease Crazy attention to detail these Exoto guys have.
Awesome model and awesome pics Joe! Great review too, even though it's just a small one :giggle

Congrats! :cheers

This model is simply :310

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Stunning absolutely stunning!!!!

:tongue :tongue :tongue

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to re-post it. Sorry, guys... I just love this thing. I'll post the rest of the images in subsequent posts - and I've resized them to the required 640 x 480 res in JPEG, and kept the image sizes under 50K...

The thing ROCKS!

anyway....

It had been a couple of years since I first saw the Exoto prototype model of Ford's 999 racer, but the desire to have this amazing replica in my hands was still strong when it finally arrived. And I'm weak in the knees over it. If there's a short list of subjects worthy of the Exoto treatment, this record-setting racer has to be somewhere very near the top.

The automotive world was on its collective ear over Ford's boldness, Barney Oldfield's bravery, and the sensation that this car generated when it blasted around the track. I can only imagine what it must have been like to the spectators in 1902 - seeing (and hearing) this monster rollick by, kicking up dust and scaring the nearby livestock into a frenzy. Powered by an incredible 19-liter four cylinder engine (yep - that's almost five liters per cylinder) that ran no mufflers (or exhaust manifold, come to think of it) and a wide-open bottom end, old photos of the car show a goggled Oldfield hanging on to the steering bow and hunkering down to get out of the wind.

The model is easily Exoto's grandest yet in 1:18 scale, and the detail, operating features and high finger fun quotient have made the few hours I've spent with it a hoot. It's a gee whiz image, for sure.

The first thing you'll notice are the wheels - enormous, hand-spoked, and wrapped in perfect Firestone smoothies. There are grease cups at the hubs on the fronts, and the rears are mounted to a solid axle that, when spun, activates a set of bevel gears, the driveshaft, the flywheel, the crankshaft, and the tiny little gears that drive the water pump at the engine's front. What a show!

The other working features are equally amazing. There are operable brakes (a rubber strap that closes on an axle-mounted drum when you press down on the brake pedal), an operating throttle, and a spring-loaded hand lever that slows the flywheel. Play with these for a minute, and you'll understand just how daring Oldfield was - and how clever Ford's design was, too.

The battery box opens to reveal a sextet of wet cells and bare copper wiring - nasty old stuff that was the cutting edge at the time - and the Huff accumulators are beautiful wooden boxes wearing tight tampos and equally Frankenstinian conductors. These run in a remarkable loom, wrapped in simulated tar tape, that terminates on each of the eight spark plugs atop the giant old block. Seems old Henry ran twin sparks per cylinder, and they're joined by neat little glass bowls at the terminus of each sweet brass intake horn. It's a staggering amount of detail, and it's so well done that the purpopse of every part becomes self-explanatory. I think Ford himself would appreciate the effort.

I'm still enthralled by the car, and I'm sure that there will be many happy hours ahead. From the jaw dropping parts count that went into the radiator (over six hundred separate pieces and a couple feet of tubing) to the tiny springs that take up the slack on the brake, there's so much to take in and so much to enjoy here. It's a great effort, and even if it took a long time to get here, I think it was well worth the wait.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Your original post is in the forum "DX Reviews." It's a great looking model, and it looks like it would take forever to discover all it's intricate details. BTY, your new pic sizes are spot on. Congrats!!! :nicejob :nicejob

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Very nice model. I hope I will have enough money to buy it too. I have seen your pictures in Scale18 a few days before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.