DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just joined this forum as just got the model car bug. The first items I got hold of were two Exoto cars, a Lotus 72 and a Ford GT40, both favorites of mine which I stumbled on for a relatively cheap price. Having done some research I found Exoto, GMP, CMC seemed to produce the most interesting cars with the best race of the motors I was interested in.

My reaction on receiving them was mixed. The Lotus while well made was simply not interesting enough to hold my attention frankly the vastly expensive Tyrrell six wheeler was my first choice but out of my price range and this simply did not have the detail I was expecting.

The GT40 however was pretty cool. Being a new comer to all this I didn't know what to expect and listed the plus and minus below and more (not very good) pics at photobucket link:

http://photobucket.com/exoto_gt40

Pluses:

- Looks great, squat and sexy, really captures the beast

- nice and weighty, nice finish.

- excellent general level of detail, on display looks the business

Minuses

- didn't have opening fuel hatch or side windows, for the price I expected this and the GMP ferrari 330P has this plus moving gear stick! (I will review this later on), Call me anal but these small little things make the difference, it seems that later editions of this model have open fuel caps as well as woven material covered pipes and a pare wheel in the front as well as wire fasteners for the front hatch. To be honest this was by far the cheapest and I understand different models will have different features depending on the race so not too bothered just be aware if thinking of buying and do your research!

- Went for the white Daytona finish and think maybe the more expensive Gold Le Mans version may have been better as this gets lost on my white wall.

Really I would say this was dipping my toe into various brands, I have also got hold of some models by CMC, GMP and another Exoto Chaparral. I will write reviews as and when I get around to it for these items. I think from more research and forums that Exoto have a bit of a hit and miss approach and frankly for the prices charged by some people you want more hit than miss! I am in the position were I have to really hunt for a reasonable price not being a millionaire so sometimes the item I would go for has to be compromised, ie going for a prototype rather than race livery etc, or a less significantly historical version of a racer. I think that from my first taste of Exoto I would have been better off saving my pennies and going for a more expensive item but possibly more satisfying work or art like the CMC Mercedes Streamline which looks a beauty.

I will sell the Lotus (on ebay now if anyone is interested) and maybe swap the GT40 for a different model when I have made some contacts (again anyone interested let me know, I live in London though) I am delighted by some of the other cars I bought but I thought this was a more interesting situation to write about considering the godlike status given to Exoto by some reviews.

FP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Great read Babaluma, and nice pics of the GT40....

Clocked what you said, and yes I must agree CMC give Exoto a real run for the money these days,,,,,

·
Administrator
34,738 Posts
What GT40 is it, which race etc? If you fancy passing it on, I''m after one, I do fancy the 123 set, but they are out of reach at the min, I'd settle for a single car though.

Also with regards to CMC's items, they just feel they little bit better, I love opening the boxes up of their models as you know you're in for a treat! I've got Exoto too, but CMC just beats it imo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply to Craig T

Hi Craig, it is Ford GT40 MKII #95 DAYTONA 1966, 3 rd place finish, drivers Mark Donohue and Walter Hansgen, you can check it out on the Exoto website:

http://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductDetails.aspx?Language=en&CategoryId=163&ProductId=1309

I bought it for about £190 in the exchange rate from States, I would also be up for a swap/part exchange if you have anything interesting? I am looking for Exoto Porsche 917/30, BBR Ferrari Panamerica, CMC Bugatti, CMC Mercedes Streamliner, CMC Auto Union. You get the vibe:)

FP

PS what are you guys favourite models you own? I love my CMC Maserati Tipo Birdcage (I will review when I have time), it is a real work of art and possibly the best model I have ever seen, albeit as a beginner! I am big into chassis and engine detail.

FP

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS what are you guys favourite models you own? I love my CMC Maserati Tipo Birdcage (I will review when I have time), it is a real work of art and possibly the best model I have ever seen, albeit as a beginner! I am big into chassis and engine detail.

FP

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you for your honest review and straight approach. I don't have any Exotos yet, so I am yet to find out what they are like. Actually I am after prototypes and street versions, something like Cobra and Stingray Coupe/Roadster, maybe in Standox. They are way too expensive though, I have other and cheaper models higher on my wish list, I'll get Exotos later maybe, when I am finished with what I really want to have.

Mostly I collect road cars and out of CMC's Ferrari 250 GT, Porsche 901 and MB 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe (not sure it fits the definition of a road car) my most favourite one is the 300 SLR, it's a spectacular model, 250 GT and Porsche are good on their own, but 300 SLR is just something!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Catcher,

Yes I find it is difficult to get past the hype with Exoto. People really rave about them so it is best to do the research before you buy. The prices for some of them are insane but the GT40 was pretty reasonable, I have also just won an Exoto Chaparral 2 on Ebay which I thought was too good to let go at the price it was being offered at. I will do a review of this when I get it for a comparison (I think there are other reviews on here for this but want to add my thoughts;).

I really want the CMC Mercedes Streamliner, I have seen a few 300 SLRs for not too much and it is a great model but I am saving for the Streamliner:) I will post more pictures of the collection in a few weeks when I have time, have you put any of your up yet?

FP

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Exoto's Ford GT 40's are the best models of the vehicle todate. I have a number of them. CMC and Exoto are very close interms of details and quality apart form the XS series were Exoto leads every model manufacturer, but at a price. BBR Ferrari 375 Plus is a good model not as detailed as Exoto or CMC but close they just don't use the same materails to make them but you'll not be too disapionted in one when you find one. CMC's Mereceds & Auto Union are some of my favorite model racer's and are very good, if you like chassis detail find the Masertai Birdcage chassis only model its a real work off art. As with all models none are 100% accurate it just depends which inaccuracies you can live with. As with every thing the more time you have looking for a model the better as you'll obtain them at yor price one day try not to get caught up in the hype that surounds some models and buy what you like and not what others think you should get and you'll enjoy the hobby. Nice review hope I'v been of some help

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The GT40's are one of my favorite race cars and Exoto did a very fine job of modeling them although it is now somewhat of an old mold and lacks some of the extreme detailing you now find common on many high-end models (such as removable wheels). But my biggest complaint with their GT40's is the wires that hold closed the front hatch. Remove the wires at your own risk and you'll find they are very difficult to get back into the pins. Plus it is very easy for the pins to come loose from the model and become lost.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Absolutely love the GT40, the Exoto mdel is truly incredible. Also it's nice to see them whenthey've got a slightly unusual paint scheme, I believe the sister MKII in this race had a pink stripe across the front? A very cool yet simple yet effective set of team colourings.

·
Testa Rossa
348 Posts
Have you tried removing the wheels of GT40 Mk iv, i have the number 4 version dark blue,
But i wanted to remove the wheels, i know it is not removable, but like some kyosho wheels i thought there might be some way of removing the wheels even though it is hard. i just wanted to try it .
Any suggestions or ideas please let me know.

·
Banned
6,036 Posts
Have you tried removing the wheels of GT40 Mk iv, i have the number 4 version dark blue,
But i wanted to remove the wheels, i know it is not removable, but like some kyosho wheels i thought there might be some way of removing the wheels even though it is hard. i just wanted to try it .
Any suggestions or ideas please let me know.
Perhaps you didn't notice, but this thread is a bit old...

May I ask why you're interested in removing the wheels? Is this going to be a project car of sorts?

·
Testa Rossa
348 Posts
Not a project, just i thougt it would be cool if i were able to remove the wheels on one side and leave the other side of the car with wheels on display, i thought it would be cool, nothing more, not a project. Just i wanted to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.