DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fellows.
As you probably know, I collect Le Mans winners, both in 1/43 and in 1/18.
I've been searching for the Exoto '66 winner Ford GT40 Mk.II, but those guys only sell it together with the other two sister cars. It's quite an expensive set, and I'm not willing to pay for three models when I want only one of them.
So, I thought about buying the plain-black Mk.II and then decorate it properly myself with the aid of third party decals (like Pattos, for example - I've used then on a 250LM and was fairly happy with the result).
What's your opinion about this? I mean, "spoiling" an Exoto with "foreign" decals? I'm aware that the model's resell value will go down the drain, but I'm figuring that this is the only way I can get this car without having to buy the other two models (and then later sell them losing money).
So what would you do if you were me? Any comments will be much appreciated. TIA!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would you ever wish to sell the collection? Guess not, if so, who cares about the loss in value. And if you buy 3 cars, you get two which you dont want.... you would relly loose money in that case.

Also.... aren't decals easily removeable if, god forbids, you'll have to resell most of the stuff.

in my opinion. DO IT!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The front hood section is different on the black protoype than it is on the Lemans winner:there is a splitter on the #2 car that the protoype model does not have. You would also have to change the wheel colors from silver to gold. I have confidence that, eventually, Exoto WILL release the car separately, perhaps with driver figure, or something to make it different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, those were quick answers!

After reading Burns's and Luciano's opinions, I was about to jump into eBay and start looking for the Black Beauty... when I saw AAR's post, a bucket of cold water splashed upon my enthusiasm.

Strangely enough, I hadn't noticed that the splitter was absent in the prototype. Hmmm, I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to make one out from plastic sheet. Yeah, the wheels would have to be painted in bronze - and the front hooks should become bright red, too.

:tempted I don't know, I'm still uncertain about this. I think I'll let the idea settle down a bit. Meanwhile, I presume no one has undertaken this conversion yet?

One more thing, Gurney: I wouldn't be too confident about a single #2 car issue. The moment Exoto would put such a thing out, the other Mk.II versions would almost certainly stop selling. This also applies to the #63 Sauber C9 and its rolling chassis - who would buy #61 or #62 - or even the 'bare silver' - if all were the same price?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just checked the Exoto web site and saw that the 3 car set goes for $1998.95 (! ! ! ) and if #2 is ever sold seperately, it will go for at least $250. :hot

If you're thinking about spending that kind of money, let me suggest thinking about a GMP 1/12th model of the '66 Le Mans' winner. It regularly sells on ebay for $400 or less (one went just a couple days ago for $330; MIB). I have both the Exoto and GMP versions and, in my opinion, the GMP is very well worth the additional bucks! :nicejob :nicejob

Also, if you ever need help (like replacing a broken part), the customer service at GMP is as good as Exoto's is bad! GMP is truly a wonderful company to deal with! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen them sold by themselves on ebay a couple of times. You may want to keep an eye out for a deal like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't know that there were further modifications to the body.. hmmm

I dont know then....try to find a 'cheap' black one if you wouldn't like to commit a lot of funds. The conversion doesn't sound extremely difficult to do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yep, it's too crappy. I myself bought the Standox one because to 3 cars set is way to high priced for me.
Selling the LM winners with a rolling chassis or as a part of a set is a very ugly trick by Exoto. :pullhair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well folks, I took the advice of the majority, bought myself a GT40 Mk.II 'Authentic Black' and destroyed it (or at least I destroyed its commercial value).
After about a week of hard labour :giggle, I ended up with a so-so Le Mans winner version. Here it is:

In my site, you can find some more photos, both of the finished model and of the transform process.

Total cost: 150 euros for the model (in eBay) plus 18 euros for the decals (from Pattos Place). :happy

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Looks good! :nicejob

Congrats on getting your Le mans winner at a bargain price :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joao :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

I am practically speachless.

And btw... I would have used upgraded not destoyed. I am sure will never look back at this decision.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done two mods and I appreciate that decals are not the easiest thing to handle when it comes to curved surfaces, especially the rear roundel. And I wouldn't have dared to decal an Exoto. You're a brave man.

Great work. :nicejob :nicejob

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
VERY GOOD João, parabéns! :nicejob
If you made it better to your eyes, nothing else matters.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.