DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've all seen the stunning pics of BBR's Ferrari Enzo - however, the price tag is equally stunning :smack

I currently have Hot Wheels regular version, but after seeing pics of Hot Wheels Elite Ferrari Enzo, I am really inclined to spend the money on it when it is released.

Its one of my favorite cars on the road right now.

My question is, already knowing what the BBR presents in its Enzo and only seeing pics of the Hot Wheels Elite version, how do you think the two compare?

Yes the comparos have begun :lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know I've seen pictures of the Elite Enzo, but of course I can't find them now. But from what I can remember I would say the Hot Wheels would get the nod. Although I think the BBR will undoubtedly still be the superior model, it is still a good $200 more expensive than the Hot Wheels will be, making it the loser in a value proposition. The main "fault" with the BBR is that you have to "play" with it to appreciate it. For example, the suspension is fully replicated and functional, but you need to take the wheels off to see it. Just sitting on a shelf though, it doesn't look much different from the Hot Wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff,

Do you have any interior and engine pics?

Lloyd,

You make a good point - no doubt the BBR is superior - but for me, the question remains: is it $200 superior :lol

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Without seeing either car in person, I will go out on a limb and say...

NO!

On a modern car where most everything is hidden, the ultra detailed cars are pretty much like having a gun locked away in a safe, you know its there and it makes you feel better but you never are going to see it :giggle

Let me see... CMC Birdcage Masser and the Hot Wheels Elite Enzo for $300 or the BBR Enzo :confused

I think even Scotty joe could figure this one out :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, some cars lend themselves better to super detailing while others are just fine the normal way. At least that's how I see it. But that depends on how you like things. But I can understand how many people will be bothered by not having the detail. As for price. for me- it just is what it is. For one the extra money is worth it. While for others it becomes a factor. I do not have either of these models. And I take each model for what it is rather than make comparisons- especially when the differences are too great. I bet the Hot Wheels will be wonderful. And the BBR is quite wonderful too. But don't go by me. I just paid a few dollars less than $300 for a 1/43 scale BBR. And thought I had gotten the deal of the century. I was dancing in the living room.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
At the end of the day, if it makes you feel happy, then it is a great purchase.
None of us really need these things, its just a guilty pleasure so I guess the old saying, "if it feel good, do it" applys very well.

Still, when talking about money as one of the components of the discussion, it is very hard to overlook what CMC is able to do for $229 compared to the $300 BBR Enzo, both beautiful cars but there is a lot more eye candy involved with the Birdcage. Of course as I said above, the Enzo is not a realfair comparison with it being a modern car.

Anxious to see what BBR can do with the vintage Ferraris.

·
merc
166 Posts
Certain elements on my BBR enzo are very fine, such as the wheels with tiny valves on, real rubber tyres that mean u cant slide it sideways at all as it grips the shelf and a wonderful interior. Then again, as with many things it isnt flawless, the front lights have attachment stubs and altho u have to be very close to see, they are still there.

I think my favourite features on it are:
-the fully '3D' brake discs
-Super finely detailed grills all perforated
-the fact that it correctly models the larger left hand wing mirror
-the fact that it somehow manages to look even more finely detailed sitting on the shelf that the Autoart Veyron and Kyosho M6, Maybe its the lustrous,deep red paint

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Me too. I very excited to see how they do with the Classic Ferraris. I do not think they will be as hyperdetailed as the CMCs. Or even some Exotos. But I think they will end up fitting in nicely. They do have to go through a number of middle men to produce their models while CMC does not. I think this may affect the price a bit. Several extra fingers in the pie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand they are releasing the 1954? Pan Amercian winning Ferrari 375 and also later the Le Mans winner of 1954 of Froilan Gonzolas and Maurice Trintignant in diecast form this year. I think it will be a few more months before they are released yet. My BBR dealer has already sold out of their first order sight unseen. But it's a BBR dealer only, a not diecast dealer. They are BBR fanatics. There are some pictures around on the internet but I don't know where to see them. The other people here will know where to go to see the pre-production prototype pictures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's funny about diecast. Many of them go through price stages. At first, they are whatever they are supposed to be. Then after a while- maybe months to years later- they start to get less- almost sometimes to the point of being cheap. Then some more years pass and they start to go up in value again if no one has made a better example of that particular model and if the manufacture does not re- release it. This of course is not the case with every model. But it seems like a general rule. So the good news is- if you wait for that 'sweet' moment in time after it's release- you may be able to get it at a more palletable price. But if one waits too long- bah! now you have to do what I do and pay through the nose. It's all about that brilliant intuitive knowledge of knowing when to hold 'em, knowing when to fold 'em and knowing when to bid- or knowing when one has waited al little too long.
Good luck. Happy Collecting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So let me ask this, the price on the BBR Enzo is coming down.

Do you think the BBR is worth it at $150 - I have only seen pics of it, not in person.

Honestly, I don't know if its worth $150 - I could certainly find better ways to enjoy $150 :giggle

So if a deal is to be had on the BBR Enzo - what would think the price range would have to be in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I think a deal would be in the neighborhood of $230 to $240 right about now from a dealer selling brand new, unopened ones. Maybe less for a used one. Or less from a dealer who is not a real dealer- but a guy who went in on a case. The going rate seems to be running around $260 for a brand new one. And that's a nice price. I think that if you could get a BBR Enzo for $150 it would be used and bought from someone who did not know how to appreciate it. I do think that a BBR Enzo is worth $150 becuase I think a BBR Enzo is worth $300. But that's me. On the other hand, I do not collect street cars. So I would not know what to do with a BBR Enzo even if someone gave it to me. The upcoming 1954 Ferrari Le Mans is a different story. That one has my eyes twinkling and my tail wagging.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm interested in one for $150 range by a member here - I think he does appreciate it - but wants to part ways with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds very good. It also sounds like me. If I had one I'd let it go too. It wouldn't match with my collection- so I wouldn't know how to appreciate it as much as someone who is very interested in the supercar genre. Or whatever personal reason that person has for parting with it. He/she is giving more than a fair deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Providing the person has protected it properly ( which I'm sure anyone in this forum does) it is a screaming deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.