DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
today I want to show you my last job, which isn't a rally car as usual, but a track car, the queen of the track cars: a BMW M3 in M livery with Castrol sponsorship.

The real car has raced and won the 500 miles of Wellington in 1992, driven by the Italian Emanuele Pirro and the German Joachim Winkelhock. My customer have bought this model as a DTM liveried car, but the stripes were damaged and so he decided and asked me to make a completely new livery.

Here is the model at the beginning:

so I started to strip down all the logos, until the model came back as a plain body:

In the meantime the research for the biggest possible number of pictures was already started to draw the new livery and logos in the best way.
After a couple of weeks and a couple of tests all was right and I decaled the model with this final result:

Hope you like it!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Quite a transformation
In plain white it also looks quite awesome

What did you use to remove the decals?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Looks great, well done.

much like your Stratos work. The stripped decal version of the m3 looks absolutely hot. Now this makes me wonder, no one has ever produced E30 (M or not) in white before?
Quite a few plain white E30 M3s have been made in 1/18: Wedge, Otto and also AutoArt themselves.

·
Administrator
33,639 Posts
Minichamps did a plain White car too.

- nice job on it!! I wish I'd have bought a plain White AUTOart one when they came out as they sold out really quickly (no doubt for conversions as above)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Wow guess i havent been paying closer attention to those E30s LOL Been thinking about getting a black m3 from Solido but would go for a white one if there is one.

Minichamps did a plain White car too.
Are those plain white one road version or track with rollcage etc?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
LOL, that must have taken a lot of time and several nails

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Neither of both fortunately, nails are needed just to start the decal peeling, then I pulled them off (not all but the majority)
[/quote]

Did you need to prep the surface any way before affixing the new decals?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neither of both fortunately, nails are needed just to start the decal peeling, then I pulled them off (not all but the majority)
[/quote]

Did you need to prep the surface any way before affixing the new decals?
[/quote]

Nope, nothing to do...

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Another epic transformation mate, You need a big pat on the back for being very modest, I know that decals are extremely delicate and very tricky to apply.

Awesome stuff

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I had Francesco print a set of these decals for me - and they look great.
However, I am having trouble removing the decals the model came with.
I decided to try an old trick I had learned many years ago, and had forgotten.
I sat my M3 in a tub of cold water (nothing else) and let the model sit in it for at least a week.
Now the decals have dried out (!) and become brittle.
A blunt old flat head screwdriver is used to gently scrape the decals off - and it is working - slowly!
Images of the stripped car when finished.....

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Wow John, Even i would not of thought of doing something like that, I'll have to remember that trick lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts