DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hello guys,
this is quite a good and inspired period for me and so I'm going on with several parallel modding projects. Among these, I finally decided to put my hands on my Ford RS200 made by Ricko. It's a pretty nice model, with working doors and suspensions, but it has a huge error inside: these car never raced with RHD in the real life, while both the versions made by Ricko (the street legal and this rally version) are RHD. This is also the occasion for my to replace the original presentation livery into an actual racing livery: I've chosen design the decals for the Sweden Rally 1986, which was the first rally raced by the car in the WRC, and also the unique finished on podium (3rd place) during the season. Moreover new wheels will come to replace the ugly original ones.

Here is the original model (picture taken from the web):

and here is it after deleting all the decal and after a partial masking to paint the new livery:

After some hours to let the paint drying, here is the almost perfect result! I'll fix some small paint smudges later:

During the wait for the paint to dry, I worked on the dashboard and after some cutting and gluing here is the new LHD dasboard, still a rough result... It will be sanded and than painted in black

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Interesting project.
The dash has come out well.
I wouldn't worry too much about making it less 'rough', competition cars were usually harshly treated - necessary to win events.
When I get under masking bleed from paint jobs, I usually dig out my coloured stripe decals and use them as a decent solution to cover up the faults.
Sometimes attempting to repair one problem leads to another.....
If you haven't produced the decals, this is a ready made source which may help.
I haven't used any myself, so I can't advise on quality.
https://tinyurl.com/y7rzod5h

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for compliments Slarti!!!

Yes I know their decals, already used them really happily for other models, but I already designed the decals on my own and would like to save 30€ for them, if possible. Moreover FFSMC decals for the RS200 have been designed by a member here who made a very nice Otto/Ricko modding some time ago...

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Looking great so far! At least the symmetrical dash design lends itself to modification. I have wanted to modify RHD cars to LHD and vice versa, but in most cases, it would be too difficult to attempt.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Yes I know their decals, already used them really happily for other models, but I already designed the decals on my own and would like to save 30€ for them, if possible. Moreover FFSMC decals for the RS200 have been designed by a member here who made a very nice Otto/Ricko modding some time ago...
[/quote]
>> So you suggest to use white decals to eventually cover the paint smudges?
Yes, the strip set I have includes a number of different widths. I bought mine from Colorado decals in Portugal.

Do you know if the member is still ative?
I am looking for a small number of additional declas for an Otto Porsche 911 RS.
Otto only produced the car driven by Bernard Beguin (car '10), his team mate was Irish rally hero Billy Coleman who drove car #15 and was right behind in fourth place.
The only real differences are the drivers names, the number plates and official plaques.
I don't have any way of producing my own decals, and have been looking out for someone with the facilities.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys, also this project is slowly going on and here I show you the body of the RS200 now completed with the new decal set (Swedish Rally 1986, 1st race of the car and unique podium of the season, 3rd place.

Firstly I polished the body with the Tamiya Finish compound, to remove the old decals halos and also some paint smudges that came out after the livery painting. It made its work admirably, so I have been able to put the new self produced decals on a really clean body, with the following results:

I have also completed the RHD to LHD conversion of the cockpit, repainting it and the seats in black and rebuilding all the components in the correct positions... I also painted in silver the pedals (originally black) to give a better sense of realism

The new dashboard has also been painted black with a great final result, but I don't have a picture of it to show you in this moment, sorry.... More updates to come in the next days.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello guys,
also this project has been complited after a brief period of stand by. Here I show you the finished model and resume the principal modifications:
  • Brand new painted race livery
  • New decalsheet, drawed and printed by me
  • New 3D printed rims, designed and printed by me
  • New metallic brake discs
  • Dashboard and cockpit modified from RHD to LHD
  • Repainted cockpit
  • Modified engine compartment, with new exhaust
  • Added side windows
  • Mirrored windscreen wipers
And finally here is the model, as you can remember in 1986 Swedish Rally livery, driver Kalle Grundel, 1st race of the car and best placement of the season overall (3rd place):

A picture of the real car to show you the rims they used during the race

And the new 3D printed rims I realized

Another picture of the real car to show you the actual exhaust of the race spec RS200, very different from the original one of the model, which reproduces the street spec one

And what I put on the model, not the same but quite close. I also painted the turbocharger and the pipe between turbo and exhaust, to add a bit of color in this area

A detail of the new side windows, made with Tamiya clear Pla Plate, 0.4mm thick

A couple of pictures of the modified cockpit

The mirrored windscreen wipers

A small detail

What is still missing is a new antenna on the roof, which will be added tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed it!!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Really nice to see this and the work you put in. I also feel there hasn't been a great model of the RS200 yet, which is a surprise as it such an iconic Group B rally car.
Otto's doesn't quite look right - so well done on creating your own, especially the work on that dash!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Very cool conversion mate, I know these conversions are a labour of love. I have been busy making my own ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts