DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's friend is over powercramming to complete a school history project. Thank goodness they got it complete just before dinner time. The friend came into my study to chat with me and saw my display case full of diecasts. He thought they were so cool and his eyes opened so wide I was worried they might fall out. :lol :lol Interestingly, he asked me if I bought them online from eBay. (oh heck yeah :tempted :lol ) So, that was my first compliment on my cars from a non-diecast junkie. I wonder if he'll be a collector when he grows up :giggle

G

·
I get the same when my little brother's freinds raid my living room and study room and see all my die-casts they always ask can they hold them and my answer is always the same, NO.

Si i always lock these rooms when i go to work because i never know if they'll be there when im not, i am not having a repeat of my first diecast collection disaster.

G

·
Mr Vercetti said:
Si i always lock these rooms when i go to work because i never know if they'll be there when im not, i am not having a repeat of my first diecast collection disaster.
I don't think I want to know... :help

Sorry to hear!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Nice work Felix, methinks you might have condemned that poor boys bank account though :tempted

I've had a few compliments from non-collectors, the best being a group of my Mum's friends who wanted to see my "little cars". Anyway, showing the collection to a group of ladies in their 50's I thought I would at least get asked "Why?" but they were all very impressed with the details of the cars and also the stories of where they came from.

I didn't let them play with the models though :lol

:cheers

Mark

G

·
That's cool, Felix. :cheers

Kids in general likes diecasts (cars, bots, plane, etc). I haven't met a friend of Jr. that wasn't impressed with my collection. Adults on the other hand (my friends included) tend to have mixed reactions - they either like it or laugh at you.

G

·
Felix,

Do hearing compliment slike such make you bashful and humble :lol

I find myself being humble when non collectors want to talk about my collection as I fear getting into a deep cnversation will make them look at me kind of crazy :lol

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I also had something like that happen yesterday. We had my wife's brother and his girlfirend over for dinner, and Lari wanted to show her the collection. She seemed to be pretty impressed by what she saw, and even made some questions about the cars. She particularly liked my New Beetle, maybe because of that flower on the dashboard? Anyways, I understand Felix' reaction. It's pretty neat to see someone get impressed by your collection WITHOUT having to explain.
:happy

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Aren't we all a little crazy!!!

I'm not ashamed of my bikes on display. All my firends and family know I'm a motorcycle junkie and they just expect it I guess! It's an extension of something I'm very passionate about! I'm sure if we could afford and bought the 1:1s of the items in our collection, they'd still look at us wierd!!! :giggle

:cheers
Sean

G

·
You might be right, but I'm not so sure since we're living in such a 'materialistic society'.

You have a bunch of diecasts - people laugh at you.

You have a bunch of 1:1s - people want to be your friend.

I can guarantee you this though - you'd definitely get a weird looks if you tell people you collect 'robots'.

G

·
lol, so youre gettin weird looks all the time??

no-ones said anything bout my collection, but is kinda too small to show that i am a "collector"

G

·
Part of my collection is not even displayed because of space limitations; it sits quietly down in the garage, inside card boxes, so nobody ever sees it (me included :cry).
On the other hand, my study at home - where I keep the 'displayable' models) is so crammed with all sorts of things (I would rather call it my warehouse) that practically nobody but me and my wife & sons ever enter there and see the diecasts. So it's much unlikely that I ever hear any criticism :happy - apart from the beloved ones, but by now they don't criticize that much anymore - they're beginning to realize that it's useless! :lol

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have not obtained any compliments as for my 1/18 collection but my colleague from work always says that it would be a good idea to kill me and sell all my models to have some money. It is because the 1/18 diecasts are much more expensive in my country (Czech Republic, Central Europe) then in your contries and because I concentrate my collection mainly on quality/high quality models.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
It's funnier (and weirder) to do a super robot move right after you tell them you collect robots. Scare them away? No no, don't be silly.... :giggle

GETTAAAAA BEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

G

·
LOL!! Same thing here- kids go wild (wife's nephews especially) but the older adults...I can tell they're thinking in their minds "....toy cars...???" :lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts