DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Maisto (and other brands for that matter) have released some models where the antenna looks like a retractable baseball bat. Here is a little tutorial on how to fix them.

Here is the before pic:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now drill a hole in the middle of it. I use a scriber handle and some tiny drill bits that I bought at a tool store. Make sure it is in the center ( I did not have it centered on the pic as it moved while I took the pic).

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a common pin like the ones that come with shirts. Actually, I bought a box of them at WM for like $.88 for 1000. :giggle

Here is the finish product. While it's no Exoto, it is way better than the original.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It came out pretty well, Al. :nicejob

Thanks for the walk-through. :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Great Tip Al, The tiny drill bit is the only hard part :scared

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Jeff,
It is simple! I do it by hand. I have these tiny bits and use a Testor scriber handle. 10-15 seconds!

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Isn't it possible to also use different paper clips for various sizes and shapes Seems the metal of paper clips is easier to bend if a bend is needed.

THANKS for the tool tip. Your source for the tiny bits is a good one at a good price. Sometimes I use an electric drill chucked with a small bit sometimes to make the holes if the holes are to be made in particularly tough material or if the bit is a little dull. The carbide bits should remain sharp for a long time though. Mine are just HSS and dull easily making hand drilling somewhat difficult.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
What a brilliant idea Al! Thanks for sharing that tip with us. That's also the first time I've seen such a fine drill. It's good to know what sort of tools exist out there.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way, I get the tiny carbide bits at Harbor Tools (or is it Harbor Freight :confused ) for $4.99. You get two plastic cases of them. The bad problem is that whoever stuffs them, does it ramdomly. The bit that I use the most is the white one and some packages had one of them and some had three of them. They do break easy if you are not carefull and work it too fast.
The pin vise is not a scriber like I said but a burnisher handle. I found it at HobbyLobby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.