DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Hmmm....the way AUTOart made the model, it appears differently from the way I saw it at Mosport. There a number of details that are different including the wheels, rear window and some sponsor logos.

Here are shots I took of it. It had the black wheels with silver lip on qualifying day. On race day, the wheels were silver coloured.

There are some differences I spotted between the 1:1 vs. the 1:18:

1:1 has:
- slits in the rear window on the driver's side
- wing support is also silver coloured (black on the model) - might be race specific
- "45" uses a taller font
- no antenna on rooftop

- more sponsor logos (Michelin, Wine Country Motor Sports, Airgas, Sunoco - see above on sister #44 car)
- three LED class position lights on BOTH sides of the car

- ALMS and IMSA logo on hood (none appear on model)
- windshield banner should be black, not red. red is for #44 car

I hate to say it, but the model is missing a LOT of details and has a lot of things that appear wrong. :dizzy :dizzy

AUTOart's pics

·
Registered
764 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
You've been to enough races to know how much variation there can be from one to another and even from practice to qualifying to race day! There's a lot of images on Flying Liz's web site to check but I'll leave it to someone else to dig through them all - I'm off to bed!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I've only been to the races at Mosport. :wink That said, you cannot dispute the fact that the following would NOT vary from race venue to race venue:

- LED class position lights
- font used for car numbers (as in the #45)
- sponsor logos for the big companies like Michelin and Sunoco

·
Registered
764 Posts
Actually I can dispute some of that. I've seen sponsor decals change literally as the cars were being wheeled out to the grid. Position and size can change from venue to venue depending on the sponsor's market at that venue and relationships change all the time. I suppose it may even be possible for there to be sponsor conflicts from race to race. The ALMS and IMSA logos are to appear on bonnet and both sides so AUTOart missed that one. As for the lights you are correct - they have been required for ALMS since 2002 and were finally adopted by Le Mans this year. Come on AUTOart - where are our working leader lights? :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
You've only disputed ONE, not some. :lol

I might have miscommunicated my point about big companies. I should have worded a little differently. I am well aware that some companies will pay up big dollars just to advertise on a car for only a race or two, so no disagreement from me on that. You want working leader lights???? Gimme a break, get AUTOart to install non-working leader lights first!!!!

So you tell me this, are the IMSA logos the ONLY thing YOU can pick out that's wrong?? :feedback

G

·
I don't think anyone is totally surprised by the inaccuracies these days.

I'll leave it at that as my words are prolly to strong :storm

·
Registered
764 Posts
No not at all - but I don't have the time or the interest to determine which race-specific version this may be and the greater likelihood is that it is sort of a "generic" version anyway. They may have relied on pictures from pre-season testing for all we know, they may be forced to "ignore" certain sponsors because of licensing issues, they may just be lazy or all of the above!
Years ago there was a sort of cult of 1/43 modelers who endlessly analyzed each new model for wing and suspension changes right on down to placement of the tiniest antenna and it just gets ridiculous to me. I'm not willing to settle for the fact that it's red and silver but I'm not going to let one or two inaccuracies stop me from buying it if I like the overall presentation. I've had some of the most expensive rarest creations in the world in 1/43 but, you know, I get just as much if not more pleasure these days from a well done Maisto or Solido as I ever did from the exotica.

G

·
I hope I can get one at a generic price if that be the case :lol

I too want an accurate model for the money I am paying - but these days, that's just a dream. I just go the route of most collectors, similar to what Noddy described of his purchasing habits - just purchase a model and be done with it - hopefully some enjoyment will come out of it - which I can honestly admit it usually does.

Kinda sad when you think about it - particularly since I don't live my life that way.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I agree with your there. How many collectors really want to go through the effort to figure out which particular race that rendition of the car appeared in?! Unless the car was for a special race like Sebring, Le Mans, or Laguna Seca, we want the model to look how the car appeared the majority of the races.

My hope is that these photos are of a "pre-production" diecast model and that AUTOart's final release will not be missing key features. I looked at some of my 2004/2005 ALMS/Le Mans models and they have the position lights. So it's not like that would be a new feature for AUTOart to include on a model.

For the sort of money these models cost, I do NOT expect them to be lazy and not to do their homework properly. That said, hopefully licencing issues have not limited AUTOart in how complete they can be with the corporate logos on the model.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You keep saying "these days" as if it is something new that models are not totally accurate but it's always been this way. In many ways we are very fortunate as some of the early diecasts and white metal or resin kits were nothing more than poorly cast lumps of zamac. Accuracy of body shape, sharpness of casting, detail of casting, quality of finish, wheels, tires, tampo printing, wiring, photoetch details and on and on all put us way ahead of collectors of 20 years ago when a $35 Bburago F40 was the hottest model around. Yeh, okay, we shouldn't still be putting up with dogleg hinges - BUT - the manufacturer has to consider that some of these things are actually going to be (perish the thought) played with and have to withstand a certain amount of abuse. Life expectancy of a McLaren F1 hinge in the hands of my 8 year old nephew? Anyone? That's right, measured in milliseconds.
The manufacturers have to depend on published photos or submissions from private individuals - there is no direct access to the factory for most of the model companies - so there are many times that they just don't have the right information or the information that they have is dated or they cheated and used last year's casting with this year's livery to milk some more $$$ out of their six digit investment in the molds for a 1/18. I could probably go on and one but you get the idea - every model is a compromise between value, profit and umpteen other factors and they are, afterall, in business to make money.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Here are photos I've found from motorsports.com of the #45 car as it appeared in ALL the ALMS races in 2006. If AUTOart is going to produce a Flying Lizard model (& I just saw on a site that Minichamps will also in 1/18), I'd really like it to look reasonably close to any ONE of the cars pictured below. What's presently pictured on AUTOart's site is just a bit too far off for my liking given the cost we'll likely be looking at.

Sebring Mar.

Houston May

Mid-Ohio May

Lime Rock Jul.

Utah Jul.

Portland Jul.

Road America Aug.

Mosport Sept.

Road Atlanta Sept.

Laguna Seca Oct.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
When have you known ME to whine....ever??? :lol For the record, I gave similar thoughts to Ebbro's Flying Lizard (2005 Le Mans #80(?) car) in 1/43. My beef there was that Ebbro is typically very good with their models. But that car ended up being off the mark in a couple of very visible areas. So, THEY don't get my hard-earned money either. I'd like to see if Minichamps can do a better job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.