DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something old and something new....

This is a total scratch build based on an off brand 1:24 die-cast Tonka style truck, several old plastic models, a wire coat hanger, and spare parts....

Most of the chassis and rear truck bed came from an old "Bob Glidden" T-bird Pro Stock Kit. The engine was from the parts box that originated from an old Monogram Firebird Pro Stock kit. The interior and most all of the roll cage was made from coat hangers. Many other parts were fabricated from sheet plastic or block resin. The truck body was cut between the cab and truck bed. The truck bed was sectioned to remove the center and replace it with the highly modified chassis and wheel wells from the pro-stick T-Bird.
The cords from the parachute are very small fishing line. The decals came from an old NASCAR Kit. The body was air brushed and some hand painting as well as bare metal foil added. Everything is plumbed and wired to include the ignition, water, brakes, shift linkage, throttle linkage, etc. A photo etched five-point harness was added (based on a True Details kit).

Can't tell you the number of hours in this one (too many), but nobody else will have one like this!....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely stunning work. :tongue

Did you make those tubs yourself, if so can you explain further how you did it.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's really impressive work Ben. This sort of custom-work is a really labour of love isn't it? :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone... and yes, for me it's therapudic. I like the challenge of making something from a vision turn into reality (in scale). Sometimes this can be a problem. For example, when I get an Auto Art, Koyosho, Minichamps, etc. kind of vehicle and I still find things I want to do to them to make them stand out and POP!. One of these daysa I'm going to mess-up what would've been a stunning die-cast simply because I can't leam them alone....

For me, this truck ranks up there with my Porsche 908 that I made with a scratch built chassis and numerous other scrath details.

While I build them for my own satisfaction, I also enjoy knowing that someone else appreciates them too. Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts