DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New release by Minichamps,this is the car that crossed the line 1st at the 1987 Bathurst 1000 enduro only for it (and the #7 car) to be later disqualified for having illegal bodywork,namely the front guards!

I personally think the livery on this one is stunning,Minichamps have done a wonderful job with it,the tampo printing is excellent and this model just looks bloody hot!
:hot

Engine and underbody detail is exquisite and the ride height is spot on so this car has it's correct and aggressive look..

I don't know how it compares with the Autoart Texaco Sierra but this model will sit very proudly in my Bathurst collection.I love it. :yahoo

:cheers
Tony.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations Tony - a real beauty!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
Yes Mike,the fuel was questioned on the day but I think it was just the guards that were the given reason for disqualification.
As for being a re-hash of the other Texaco car,not sure what u mean there as this is a Minichamps mould,the other is Autoart. :confused
Tony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats Tony,
she is indeed a stunner....i know of one member who is eager to get his sticky mits on this beauty......i could well be another :giggle

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
The old Merkur XR4TI eh :giggle

These car never really caught in over here in the states but it sure looks good in this liverey :cheers
That exhaust looks wild!

Nice addition! :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Congrats Tony. Another one of those models that I'd quite like - not top of the wishlist but I'd still be more than happy to add one!

Is this the car that I read was disaqualified not after the race but weeks later? Which happened to give the win to the Aussies in the Aussie car :giggle Maybe I read a biased source!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
1985 to 1992 saw the race running under international Group A rules. Imported turbocharged cars, such as Ford Sierras, dominated the race during the late 1980s. In 1987, the race was a round of the short-lived World Touring Car Championship, and competitors in that championship raced against the local teams. The resulting culture clash was considerable; local scrutineers, who had been applying the Group A regulations as written, repeatedly disagreed with European teams (notably that of Rudi Eggenberger) and the global organising body (FISA, the ancestor of the FIA) that were considerably more liberal with their interpretations. Eggenberger's cars ran 1-2, only to be disqualified months later due to bodywork irregularities, and awarding the race to Peter Brock for a record ninth time.

hope that helps Dave :cheers

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Ah, the old contravercial Texaco Cossie. Although it's an '87 I can't help but look at the texact livery and be reminded of all of their tacky TV ads. How I miss them :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That livery :eek:mg , i can't prase it enough, i do think it looks even better on the Sierra than the Red Shell livery which won in 1989 i think.
Nice buy my friend :nicejob if i do find one myself i shall be snaping it up straight away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad u like this one guys. :eek:k
Yes 1987 was a very controversial time in Oz with th WTCC and the Euro's 'interpretation' of the Group A rules. :giggle
The Aussie teams were a little naive(and a little too honest) and many drivers have been quoted as saying that if they had realised just what they could have got away with,they would have 'bent' the rules too!
As for whether the Texaco cars were robbed of a win?Hard to say I guess,the ruling did seem a little harsh and I feel that if it wasn't the guards then something else would have been found - I just don't think the locals liked the fact that they were being out-paced on their own turf.
Having said that,being a Brock fanatic I certainly didn't mind the final ruling! :wink
This model will still form a part of my Bathurst winners collection as it did hold that title for 6 months!lol!
Cheers,
Tony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi guys hey tony makes you glad you got it when all these people like it
i have 6 sierras now and i like that one the best and i still think them to be the winners of that race how piccy can tha race laws be sounds like BS to me.

cheers barry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wasn't 1987 Peter Brock's last Bathurst 1000 win? I remember watchig his last Bathurst 1000 in 1997 live on BBC Grandstand when he drove a Vauxhal Vectra with Dereck Warwick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
It certainly was his last though he could have had a couple more in my humble opinion.I would love a 1/18 of that Vectra - beautiful car that one.
'97 was the 1st year of the 2 litre 'Super Tourers' in Australia at Bathurst.The idea was that they would take over from the V8's.After '98 though the powers that be realised that way more people wanted the Holden/Ford V8 warfare so the 2litre brigade went the way of the dodo. :giggle
Does Grandstand still exist?I havent been back to England for years.
Tony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think so, although i stopped watching it when the beeb lost both the BTCC and WRC coverage, now the only motorsport left on GS was MOTOGP when i last checked.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The cars were also deemed illegal in the Japan round of the series. The team then replaced the flared guards with standard panels which some say didn't help their cause when it was finally looked at.

I have reports from people who were there and involved during the event that one of the other Sierra teams got hold of a Texaco Sierra wheel and when it was put onto their car it wouldn't fit under the guards.

Also, apparently there were two fuel tanks in the car, one inside the other. The outer fuel tank contained a small amount of legal fuel and the inner had the rocket fuel. About half a lap from the pit the driver would switch fuel pumps which would then have the legal fuel running through the engine by the time they got to the pits. Once back onto the track they would switch back onto the rocket fuel. They got caught when the authorities tested the fuel in the overhead gantry, not out of the fuel pumps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! That's the best explanation of the illegal fuel I've heard.The cheeky buggers eh?
Thanks Rich.
Tony.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.