DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You perhaps know Skoda cars but you do not know Abrex. Skodas, are Czech cars and Abrex is Czech firm pruducing now mainly 1/43 models maily of Skoda cars.
I have somewhere read that Abrex wants to produce in future some Skoda models also in 1/18 scale. Therefore I emailed to Abrex and here is their answer:
Abrex will produce in future following Skoda models in 1/18 scale:
Skoda Fabia
Skoda Roomster
Skoda Octavia RS
Skoda Octavia Scout
Skoda 110R
Skoda 860 Cabrio.
The first four cars are present Skodas but Skoda 110R is Czech classic and Skoda 860 Cabrio is a famous Czech vintage car. The 110R was produced between 1971-1981 and the 860 Cabrio was produced between 1929-1932. Below are pictures of these two real cars. Unfortunatelly, I do not know when all the models will be available and what is expected quality. Nevertheless, I think that Abrex takes prodcution of 1/18 scale models seriously because they recently resealsed some Skoda models in 1/24 scale too.

G

·
I wonder if the models will be as bad as the real cars :lol

Q. What's the difference between a Skoda and tickets for an Oasis concert?
A. Oasis tickets go fast!

Q. Why do skodas have a rear wash wipe ?
A. To remove the flies that crash into them.

You see the ads that say 'What's behind the new skoda?'
It's not really Volkswagen, it's 'People pushing it'!

Q.What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ????
A. A Dreamer.

G

·
Felix ,

its nothing personal , its just that they arent very good cars at all , and they have been the butt of jokes for years here in the UK

Of course there was also Lada and a company called FSO who also produced cheaply made East European cars that were also pretty nasty and suffered from the same type of ridicule as Skoda cars .

G

·
Yeh but youre bound to say that seeing as how you own a Skoda :lol

VW took them over in 1991

To be honest , I would have an Octavia RS , but I would have to remove the Skoda badges first :giggle .....theres still a stigma attached to that brand and I still think that Skoda has yet to fully recover from it

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
I'm 'bound to say that as it's true. The VW made Skodas are fantastic cars. Did you see the recent JD Power surveys?

I'm not so narrow-minded to worry about a plastic badge, as I'm fully aware who makes the car. I leave that to 330i drivers who I overtake, they get annoyed that they've been overtaken by a Skoda, and try and keep up. Try.

That's before it's had a remap.

Modern Skoda drivers will always have the last laugh. Slate modern Skodas, and you're slating VWs, and Audis. :)

The jokes are funny, sure, but show a lack of education about where the brand started, and where it currently is.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Really surprising how far Skoda has gone as a brand. When we started getting Top Gear on cable, Skoda was the butt of all jokes. But from being an unknown in India, Skodas have gone on to become very desirable. You can say it is for the terrific VW quality they have to offer for a nice price. Even car magazine journos go ga-ga over the Octavia RS.
In a road test comparo with an Audi TT (the older non turbo), Octavia was almost comparable with the Audi. But at less than half of what you would pay for an Audi TT, you got a car equal to it. It sure helps when you are sharing a lot of technology with Audi.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, most of you remember Skoda as a not so-good car maker. But Czech cars generally (I mean Skoda and Tatra), were in 20ies - 40ies of previous century one of the best cars in Europe and very well comparable with other brands like Mercedes, BMW, etc. or even better. Also, VW Beetle "originally proposed" by F. Porsche is based on previous Tatra cars. Only after WWII because of political changes, the quality of Czech cars decreased. And now, when Skoda is a part of VW group, quality is increasing again. But as for me, I do not like that Skoda is part of VW as well as I do not like a foreign capital comming to my country.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like to see more vintage Eastern European cars in 1:18 scale in the future: russian cars (GAZ/Volga, Pobeda), polish (Warshawa) or romanian (IMS, Dacia). There are a part of our history and my childhood when some of these were on the streets.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Coming from an 'Official Porsche Nut !", the 'stigma' associated with Skodas seems a bit rich.

As far as I'm concerned all Porsche drivers have red braces, stripy shirts and those 1980s brick Motorola phones

Still, if you believe all that baloney about Skodas still, perhaps you are still mired in the 80s? :giggle

To be fair, Skoda always made 'interesting' cars (I hate to tell you, but Autocar once entitled a roadtest of a rear engined Skokda "As much fun as a Porsche 911 for a tenth of the price" or something very similar), but communist control didn't do much for quality control...

I'm a vRS driver, btw (Ford own the RS moniker, so Skoda pretend the tick's a Vee...) - Great car - Previous car was a Jaguar S Type and I bought it in preference to a BMW 320, Jag X type and lots of similar stuff :lol

If they do a red 1:18th vRS (the early model), I'll be having one!

M.

PS Presumably, though the 330 drivers can't drive - The figures favour the BMW over anything Skoda are allowed to make...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.