DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been getting alot of help and haven't had the chance to contribute, so here's my first of many contributions to this great forum. i was working on my UT f355, getting it ready for the wheel swap...and i found a way to get the wheels off without doing any type of damage to the steering/suspension/breaking anything. the wheels are actually glued on to the "brake caliper", which is nothing more than a gray piece of round plastic...no details whatsoever...with this said...it's really simple to POP the wheels off the caliper.

for the front wheels: the two fronts along with the "steering mechanism" come off like any other front wheel assembly, but we are interested in knocking the wheel off while keeping the "caliper" in place and tact. while holding the wheel assembly in your hand, use a screw driver (with something wrapped around the tip) and apply pressure to the caliper while keeping the wheel steady. the assembly should POP right off, leaving you with the rim and tire in your hand! easy? hope so. i wish i had pictures.

for the back: you can try the same technique, but the rear wheels assembly doesn't come off like they do with maisto RW assemblies. be very careful!!! mine just happened to pop off with LESS PRESSURE than with the front wheel assembly.

i hope this helps and if i can i'll get some pictures up!!!

john

G

·
I agree with John. When I bought my 911 UT turbo (the one with the calipers), I took it out of the box and with my first attempt to rotate the wheel, it came away. I had to chase it for a while :happy

Then I glued it with superglue. This required some care, since I did not want the glue to be spreaded everywhere, so that the wheel would not rotate at all. The glue should be applied in the center of the brake disk, if someone (like me) would not care for the wheel to be removable.

It seems that the "Pop" mechanism came loose somewhat. :wink

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it's really sad! my wheel came off by themselves (The back two) and i didn't even do anything, but at least now, with the help of this awesome forum, i can ditch the old wheels and put on some hot ones! :cool

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Glad the wheel swap came out well for you jbvdhp. Hope to see the F355 with the newer wheels soon. :cheers

G

·
jbvdhp,

I tried this method and it worked great on my UT '98 Vette, but not at all on my UT '96 Impala SS. Any recommendations?

btw: anyone parting out a UT '98 Vette? Looking for another set of wheels and brake assm.

G

·
I think you will find on the impala SS that the whole rim/tyre will come straight off the axle... leave the steering in the car and use a pair of pliers behind the wheeldown into the wheel arch... Gently apply some pressure to remove the wheel from the axles.. I have just pulled the wheels off of a UT Caprice Police car... I will see what pictures I can come up with to show you what I mean

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial jbvdhp.....I know it's kinda late, but didn't see it until now!

I'm trying to take off one of the front wheels of my UT F355 GTS (the one with the brake caliper & the brake disc), how exactly do I go about doing this? Do I have to take the chassis off of the body and then take the front wheel assembly off the chassis?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts