DiecastXchange Forum banner

Glen "Fireball" Roberts' 1962 Pontiac Catalina

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt1959 
#1 ·

This car won the 1962 Daytona 500, prepared by Smokey Yunick (Best Damned Garage), and driven by the prophetically-nicknamed "Fireball" Robets. Roberts was later to perish in a firey crash.

I add this model to me collection (second one to go up in the new "archive" room), with a little reluctance. The basic detail is adequate, colours are correct, as are the decals. Biggest disappointment is the attention to detail to make it correct, for the racer to appreciate. Notice the trunk, with no evidence of the fuel cell, fuel fill, etc., however on the underside, the fuel cell is clearly visible.

I love the black and gold paint schemes that Smokey used, so this one stays on the shelf, but I do wish that a little more attention to the detailing had accompanied it.

[

:yahoo

See less See more
#4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The model is by Ertl/MIC (Merchandising Incentives Corporation). MIC is the same company that came out with the Nascar "Winged Warrior" Series of Plymouth Superbirds and Daytona Chargers from the early 70's (of which I will have a photo spread later as they are unpacked and displayed). This car is #2 of a Pontiac Commemorative Series, I haven't a clue as to what #1 or #3 were, since I am into Nascar, this is the only one that counted, so far.

:happy

#5 ·
You have to love anything with "Pontiac" or "Smokey Yunick" attached to it, but together? Double your pleasure, double your fun. This model looks great Jim, despite the fuel cell issue. Congrats. . . :nicejob :nicejob

#7 ·
Jim, How interesting that you posted this car, just yesterday I stopped in a used book store and ended up finding the Audio Book of Smokeys "Sex, Lies and Superspeedways" for the bargain price of $6.85. :happy It is on 7 cd's.
Inside there was a small catalog for Smokey related product and this car was included @$100. Seemed pretty high for the Ertl based car :giggle

Your pics look great! :cheers

G
#9 ·
Biggest disappointment is the attention to detail to make it correct, for the racer to appreciate. Notice the trunk, with no evidence of the fuel cell, fuel fill, etc., however on the underside, the fuel cell is clearly visible.

I don't think they had fuel cells until after the 1964 wreck that killed Fireball. Up until ~1965 I think they used the stock tank. They should've put in the fuel filler though. Looks very nice!

#10 ·
Another detail I noticed this weekend while finishing up the shelving in my new "museum" is that the front and rear tires are different sizes, much as they would be on a drag car; where I thought they would be the same front and rear, much as stock cars have been for years.

Anyone shed any light on this?

:confused

#11 ·
Jim, ERTL did another version of this car as Arnie "The Farmer" Bostwick's Super Duty drag car. I think they must have done your version later on but just kept the big 'n littles off the Farmer car. . . Just a guess. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.