DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Those kits look superb, I'm thinking of getting one myself. I wonder has anyone here any experience in using one of them?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd strongly recommend getting a GMP Cleaning Kit to any serious collector. My mother bought me one when she was on holiday in the USA earlier this year and since then I wonder how I managed without it! It's inexpensive and it works wonders for the models in several ways:
- It gives the models a shine better than when you first bought it, especially on darker coloured models
- It protects the paint
- You don't need to dust your models anywhere near as frequently
- It helps bring out scuff marks on the painted and plastic surfaces
For less than $25, I'd say that it's a bargain and a "must have" accessory to a model collection, especially if you don't have them in a closed display.
:angel: :angel: :angel:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am currently using a Meguiar polish/cleaner with great results, I can't wait to get a hold of this. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally cracked this baby opened tonight :sm:

It smelled so good, I coudn't dare use it, I'll more than likely start testing it on certain models later this week.

Comes with three different types of polishes and waxes, gloves, Qtips, 3 brushes and a super soft wiping rag.

Smells sooooo goood ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly is in it? Are these products the same as what's available in an automotive supply store?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
What exactly is in it? Are these products the same as what's available in an automotive supply store?
+1. I was almost tempted to use my car autopolish (not really a wax) on one of my 1:18 to see how it works out.

Could someone provide an explanation please.

Thanks in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Richard,

As all the waxes/polishes are labled "Diecast Wax" or "Diecast Polish", I think any 1:1 polish will deliver the same effect. Almost everything in this kit can be purchased at Wal Mart or similar store.

The small brushes work great, and the gloves are just superb(maybe a little too small, doesen't help much that I'm wearing a cast).

I'm currently using a 1:1 polish right now and it works great. Once I start using this kit, maybe I will notice a difference. The 1:1 polish/cleaner I'm using now is also from Meguiar's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres a quick update on the GMP Cleaning Kit.

If you don't have one, I would recommend it to any collector who prides their collection. Seriously. I used two of the products from it tonight, the "Professional Show Car Glaze" which is a liquid polish/wax. It went on like smooth, then hazed up and after wiping and some buffing it left a tremendous shine. I then applied ""Professional Final Inspection" which comes in a spray bottle. I only used a little, but it was just as impressive.

I used these on a Maisto model and the shine it left was remarkable. As this was my first time using the kit, I was doing more experimenting, so as I learn the characterisitcs about which combo offers the better shine, I'm sure the finished shine will look even better.

This kit ran me the price of a model car, and I'm more than likely going to order another one in the morning. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts