DiecastXchange Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me the run down on the GMP Peachstate models and what makes them so rare besides the low production numbers?

Are these models based off of Ertl's molds? From some of the pics, it looks like they are carpeted, can this be confirmed?

As with most LE models, are the numbers a representation of specific colors or the entire run of models?

I'm looking at a the 63 Split Window Corvette specifically.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I only had one Peachstate and it was Ertl all the way including the lack of carpeting. The only thing that distinguished it as anything different than an Ertl was the color, box and certificate. But that was really no different than any of the other limited run secondary companies that released their specs of an Ertl mould.
As far as rarity, the numbers were limited and they were made a long time ago. Maybe everybody that has them are still holding on to them with hopes that the values will rise to what they once were :giggle

I am sure Al would know tons more than I on this subject.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
GMP started as something like Peachstate Marketing Company and they commissioned Ertl to do several 1/18 NASCAR back in '94-'96. There were some T-Bird, Monte Carlos and Grand Prix made (I am sure Jim has several of them).

Later they commissioned Ertl to do Limited repaints of Ertl molds in quantities of 1/2500. I believe they were 19 in the series. They did about 4 or 5 others that were not part of the series and those were done in 4,500-5,000 LE. I have several of them, and as far as I know, they did not have extra detail like carpet or wires.

This may had given then the cash to start on their own molds like the Novas and GNs.

Some are more sought after then others. I was after the blue GT-500 for the longest time to complete my collection of GT-500s. They rarely went on eBay or if they did, they were sky high, I held out had found one reasonable and all of the sudden there were several available. Out of the top of my head here are some of the 1/2500 LEs:
'70 GT-500 grabber orange
'69 GT-500 Acapulco blue
'65 Shelby Cobra silver
'69 GTO black
'70 Chevelle SS Forest green
'70 El Camino Forest green
'70 Boss 429 Candy Apple red
'73 Trans AM green
'32 Ford Hot rod red
'66 GTO Royal Bobcat red
'67 Corvette Maroon
'63 Corvette Tan
'69 Coronet Hemi Orange

There was also a GSX, Superbee, Daytona, Challenger, 442 and a '55 Chevy done, but I do not recall the colors.

One appeal of them is that all of these have not been redone by Ertl in that color like Ertl has done to other LEs. The only PMC/GMP car that was re-released was the white Challenger from "Vanishing Point".

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
don't forget they did a lot of trans-am camaros, the pork chop series, restomods, GTOs, sprint cars?, the swamp rat dragster series... lots of variety and they're products are top notch... but they don't have workable suspensions like say highway 61.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I have a feeling Darrick knows about the later GMPs :giggle He was asking about the earlier Peachstates.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Al,
Thanks for the information. I had no idea that there were so many in that series as I have only seen the Corvettes - actually, the vettes are the only ones I have ever looked for.

Jeff,
Thanks for confirming those facts - I don't think I will be paying that much for an Ertl :giggle

radal,
Thanks for the info - I am familiar with some of those products you listed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts