DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Holey Moley! The thing weighs 13 pounds, including the display stand. I haven't had this much fun since they invented the Rubik's cube. The model came packaged and ready to snap together - that's basically what you do with these - and the quality of the pieces and the overall finish of the engine is spectacular. It truly looks real!

View attachment 21850
View attachment 21851
View attachment 21852

The details cast into the heads is breathtaking, and GMP has really gone the distance to create realistic textures and visuals on every exposed section.

I haven't had the time to do a teardown and rebuild on a real engine for quite a while now, but getting a little hands-on with this replica in 1:6 scale is damned near the next best thing. Not to mention all the conversation it sparks: Did Zora Arkus-Duntov invent the Hemi? (Answer - no, but the heads, and the other tweaks he and his brother Yuri cobbled up made a 300-horsepower screamer out of the pedestrian flathead Ford. Quite the street/strip monster, 'til the Chrysler version came toodling along).

It only takes a few tries before you can do the deed - from S.O.C.O blower to short block and back again - like a well-trained machine. But take your time, and display it in semi-finished form, if you like. The weight and substance of the pieces - even the brass head gaskets - makes it quite the adult toy, and a protective acrylic cover keeps it clean and pristine when the building's done.

View attachment 21853

I can't recommend this one enough. History buffs and frustrated motorheads alike will have many a happy hour doodling around with it, and any display of vintage iron or car room couldn't be better served than to have this as a visual anchor.

Great Job, GMP! Everything I could have hoped for.

View attachment 21854

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 24-JULY-2005
(Images Edited to Comply with Image Guidelines)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Holy mercaptanes, Batman!!!! :happy
That looks fantastic! How much did you pay on it, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
:coolpics That is most impressive! :tongue I didn't know that anyone made engine models you could take apart like that, and for a reasonable price. I would very much like to know which other engines they make and where on the web I could find them. I'd love to get a Cosworth DFV!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
www.gmpdiecast.com are the people who produce them but I cannot say enough good things about www.replicarz.com.

I am sorry to keep plugging Replicarz but when I find someone with their first rate customer service I have to tell everyone who will listen.

There are some of the motors that are sold out so the secondary market will probably have to do.

They have so far produced:

2 Offy motors: regular and dirty versions (looks fresh off the track)(they are soon to make a turbo charged version)

5 Flathead Motors: A stock version, a hot rod version, an Edlebrock version a rusty version and now the Ardun Head Version.

2 392 Hemi Motors: A black drag motor and a yellow drag motor. (and soon to produce a Hillborn Injected version)

I hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing the pics and the review.

Thats is truly a thing of beauty :nicejob

When you tear it down, please let us know how long it takes to teardown and rebuild.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hi, Darrick -

It takes around two minutes to disassemble and then re-assemble the motor, once you've done it a few times. Of course, the first time is a little scary - some of the pieces are a bit delicate - but the enclosed manual makes the process a no-brainer (hence, my success at actually assembling the thing). :confused

Glad you liked the review and pics - hope you don't mind if I hang around a bit.

Cheers,

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe the door is always open to you :cheers

2 minutes is not bad at all on rebuilding it.

Do the valves move up and down on it?

Also, what size engine does this one replicate?

I have the 1:12 engines and this one would make a really nice addition to them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks for the open door. Great group here! :nicejob

I'd be guessing at the displacement - the stock Ford flathead had a 221 cubic inch volume for years, so I'd wager that's the size (unless this is supposed to be a bored-out motor - and then there's the volume of those heads, which must add a few cubic inches, too).

The valves - which are actually inaccurate, as Arkus-Duntov ran pushrods as part of the conversion - aren't moveable, nor are the pistons. The only parts that move are the pulleys and rubber drive belts out front (an activity which, I have to confess, I'm somewhat addicted to - just a tweak in passing).

Awesome looking thing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.